Notices

The lucky 10%....

Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwh View Post

i have a tendency to debate things and fully aware that sometimes the outcome is not always productive. i don't see any post i have made as combative. i see us all as friends here.

i have been trying out every thought i find on here and found that is not always helpful either and need to learn to revise that.

i actually have been learning a lot and hopefully have helped some people.
it seems i will continue to present alternative options & thoughts while i agree with many of the common ones and find that helpful.

learning when to open and shut my mouth is also something i need to learn much more about.

i am here for help. i can be shy at times in person and this site has gotten me out to deal with this issues, addiction & alcoholism, with people face to face. i had to start somewhere.

i have been doing a ton of work and i do get pissy when it's not noticed sometimes, so i will look more deeply into my issue with that.

i don't know how to make it up to you as a newcomer, but i'm also in a situation that i need to make taking care of myself a priority because i am still personally on shaky ground.

this is a newcomers forum. i know that there is a lot of people talking here that are not newcomers. i respect their guidance and wisdom, but please remember we are newcomers here.

thanks,
I am a newbie too. Typed words are often perceived incorrectly and I'm no different. I apologize and encourage you to continue to post and be open. Have a happy afternoon!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Seriously guys why don't you pm each other if you wanna continue the back and forth.. We are way way of topic and its not useful in the slightest for anybody especially a newcomer who may be reading this..
Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think that a lot of people decide to get sober to get something...more than just sobriety.

Like they get sober to save a realationship and the relationship craps out anyway...so they go back to drinking.

Or to save a job, adn the job falls through, or continues to be lousy, so they drink anyway.

We set conditions and when the conditions aren't all that good, we drink again.

Most of us don't stay sober until we decide we are getting sober and we are going to live sober no matter what, then do it, no matter what. Unless sobriety itself is the goal at some point most of us will cash it in.

unless we see some positive result that continues to motivate us early enough along that our sobriety reaches critical mass and we keep moving forward...I think many of us cash it in.

When I kept relapsing, those were some of my issues. It didn't seem to be helping to be sober. I wasn't getting anything I wanted or expected to get. Life kept falling apart, etc etc. I didn't see the point in it. I didn't experience anything I wanted.

when i realized that ultimately I wanted to live and if I kept drinking and using I was going to first be a pathetic lonely homeless thing, then a dead thing...I quit for good. But it had to get that black and white.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Yeah do the pm thing guys. It's an interesting topic getting a bit off track
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed a lot of things that weren't on topic.
Focus, guys.

D
Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I have found the topic returns when people just start posting on topic. I find looking at the mostly dismal recovery rates well, dismal. I seek out what's working and who its working for.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I have found the topic returns when people just start posting on topic. I find looking at the mostly dismal recovery rates well, dismal. I seek out what's working and who its working for.
this piece of wisdom is absolutely huge in recovery it may be the single most important thing. seek out people who have been sober a long time and do what they do. from my experience the stats on these people are extremely positive
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
― Benjamin Disraeli
Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The only statistics that really count are the personal ones.

I wanted 100% to leave my old life behind, I put in 100% effort to that goal, and I've stayed 100% sober 100% of the time
Amen.

We must all do our personal best.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Amen.

We must all do our personal best.
And that's really all we can do. Just because a set of numbers looks dismal, there's no reason why we can't aspire to join the "only x percent". After all, somebody's got to!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I enjoy the articles on stats but I wonder how accurate they are. Are they taking information from only those in a formal treatment? A certain percentage of people who go to treatment may be court ordered or doing it to appease someone else. That would skew the fail rate. What about all the people who quit without formal treatment because it's what they want? I read something that put the recovery rate at closer to 50% over a lifetime. Either way I do feel lucky to have this chance.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This is quite an interesting take on recovery rates. The allusion to Stanton Peele the author of the infamous Orange Papers polemic notwithstanding! Rates are based on 1-3 years rather than the 5 I quoted earlier.

Going to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings vs. quitting cold turkey: Which works best? - NY Daily News

In the interests of full disclosure, I've effectively gone cold turkey this time, but use bits of various methods and go to the odd AA/NA meets. I've just broken through six months this time around.