Notices

The lucky 10%....

Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
iwh

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
Well, if he's basing that statistic on who is present at an AA meeting or not, selection bias may be at work.
you can't put a spiritual program into statistics, the 2 will always be at odds with each other.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
Well, if he's basing that statistic on who is present at an AA meeting or not, selection bias may be at work.
Oh lordy you are thinking way to much. What he does is not statistcally valid for anything but it is interesting still
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Did not realise talking statistics was worse than asking about moderate drinking for an alcoholic lol...
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
Did not realise talking statistics was worse than asking about moderate drinking for an alcoholic lol...
You are such a trouble maker
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
I will just sneak in here......

When I was in rehab, they told us that only 3 in 10 of us would probably make it. I was determined to be one of those three.

......sneaking back out now......
Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
You are such a trouble maker
Lol I was just about to post about what a can of worms...

I actually find the AA statistics interesting. I'm not in AA, however somebody who collates statistics needs to have a field of study from where they get their numbers.

Not sure what to make of them, whether those with more than a year tend not to stay with the group, or suggestion of relapsing. Interesting, but I won't worry myself about it too much at this point in the thread
Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just wanted to chime in here cuz I think its relevant somehow. I work with an incredibly small staff and we had to hire two new gals for the summer season. In quite short order I learned that one of them was "sober". I quickly nabbed her for a conversation outside of work since my sobriety is so new and wanted to chat. Last night I worked with the other and when chatting about small things, I asked her where she met her bf. She said "I'll tell ya later" with a funny smile as others were in earshot. Later, she told me she met her bf at an AA meeting. I was delighted and gobsmacked! In a staff of four...3 of the 4 are recovering alcoholics..go figure! I gave my God a little thanks and wink on the drive home : )
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

LOL, Lion! My statistician friend got bashed more than my lawyer friends did. It's a love-hate with statistics isn't it? We love to quote them, and in the same breath we say they mean nothing or "statistics lie", etc...As for the moderating, I do have some opinions on that...

June
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post

I actually find the AA statistics interesting. I'm not in AA, however somebody who collates statistics needs to have a field of study from where they get their numbers.
AA's published results show a long-term success rate of 3-5%. But figures from a study by Vanderbilt University demonstrate a lower success rate for long term sobriety. Accurate statistics are hard to come by because of many factors, such as anonymity and dishonesty, but most studies reveal that it only has about a 2.5 percent success rate for over 5 years of sobriety. Some statistics have it as low as 0.1%.

They are figures that tally across the entire recovery spectrum, irrespective of what method you choose.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
AA's published results show a long-term success rate of 3-5%. But figures from a study by Vanderbilt University demonstrate a lower success rate for long term sobriety. Accurate statistics are hard to come by because of many factors, such as anonymity and dishonesty, but most studies reveal that it only has about a 2.5 percent success rate for over 5 years of sobriety. Some statistics have it as low as 0.1%.

They are figures that tally across the entire recovery spectrum, irrespective of what method you choose.
Absolutely, I was only talking of the AA statistics as those were mentioned.

I would think it pretty much impossible to get an accurate statistic on everybody recovered regardless of method as many simply do it alone. So I don't place much weight on this study either.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Absolutely, I was only talking of the AA statistics as those were mentioned.

I would think it pretty much impossible to get an accurate statistic on everybody recovered regardless of method as many simply do it alone. So I don't place much weight on this study either.
The only thing I take from any of these figures MTN is how difficult long-term recovery actually is. And that no matter how deep one goes in to the recovery process and length of time, we will always be just one drink or needle away from landing back at square one.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think the statistic means only 10% of addicts seek help on their own. The other portion of people in recovery are there because they've been forced or coerced into it somehow.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
iwh

Originally Posted by Katt1825 View Post
Seriously - there has been more than one combative post from iwh. Not productive or conducive in my opinion.
i have a tendency to debate things and fully aware that sometimes the outcome is not always productive. i don't see any post i have made as combative. i see us all as friends here.

i have been trying out every thought i find on here and found that is not always helpful either and need to learn to revise that.

i actually have been learning a lot and hopefully have helped some people.
it seems i will continue to present alternative options & thoughts while i agree with many of the common ones and find that helpful.

learning when to open and shut my mouth is also something i need to learn much more about.

i am here for help. i can be shy at times in person and this site has gotten me out to deal with this issues, addiction & alcoholism, with people face to face. i had to start somewhere.

i have been doing a ton of work and i do get pissy when it's not noticed sometimes, so i will look more deeply into my issue with that.

i don't know how to make it up to you as a newcomer, but i'm also in a situation that i need to make taking care of myself a priority because i am still personally on shaky ground.

this is a newcomers forum. i know that there is a lot of people talking here that are not newcomers. i respect their guidance and wisdom, but please remember we are newcomers here.

thanks,
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Getting back to the OP's question, I consider myself lucky to be in whatever percentage of people who end up getting sober. I consider myself lucky to have found SR too. I also realize that along with luck, I had to do some work and make hard choices myself.

Regarding statistics in general, it's possilbe to "twist" data, and it's also possible to design surveys/studies to encourage a particular outcome. And many studies also involve a lot of opinions in addition to the data, especially in the conclusions.

So the bottom line is to keep an open mind and read, studies are not necessarily bad. Just don't take one opinion or result as the be-all-end-all. Just like there are multiple recovery methods that work for some and not others. Take what you need, leave what you don't, and respect others for what they need and don't want.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
iwh

yay!

also the 'etiquette' thing is not some thing i can learn over night. people can just nudge me and think oh yeah he knows better, this could take a lot of time.

don't get impatient with us, old timers. focus on your own problems and the problems of alcohol & addiction here.

anyway, i'm sure i just said something stupid again, lol, but yes i need help with alcoholism & addiction and that is why i am here. i'm not here for lessons in etiquette, that's my own business and i have my own feelings about that & don't think this is simply a matter of learning how to be polite.

i'm here to help people and myself kick the habit. don't start judging this emperor's clothes, but feel free to remind us we have none.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Thanks everyone lol..great replies as usaul the knowledge on addiction around here is world class...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwh View Post
yay!

also the 'etiquette' thing is not some thing i can learn over night. people can just nudge me and think oh yeah he knows better, this could take a lot of time.

don't get impatient with us, old timers. focus on your own problems and the problems of alcohol & addiction here.

anyway, i'm sure i just said something stupid again, lol, but yes i need help with alcoholism & addiction and that is why i am here. i'm not here for lessons in etiquette, that's my own business and i have my own feelings about that & don't think this is simply a matter of learning how to be polite.

i'm here to help people and myself kick the habit. don't start judging this emperor's clothes, but feel free to remind us we have none.

I use the term etiquette very loosely iwh I certainly wasn't criticizing.

I'm new too-been around SR for 18 months or so -sober 7 months now so still new
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
iwh

hay!

i saw your post as a loving nice one.

see perfect example of how i talk.

wtf, if people heard these words out of my mouth it'd be better.

i'd love tea or something with ya, thank you.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
iwh

nuudawn,

i felt i was put into a situation where i had to say something. the focus on these threads should be on the OP, in my opinion.

also, i will not engage you in continuing to put the blame on me. this is a community and i want to stay focused on why were are here.

i know you are popular and all, you've actually directly helped me enormously, but i'm not getting tangled up in this, you have issues with that yourself and you know it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwh View Post
you have issues with that yourself and you know it.
Indeed I do. Thank you : )