Notices

My journey started yesterday

Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Contentment and sanity are inside jobs. No matter how perfect things look on the outside (nice house, good kids, loving partner) most of us drink and drug because of what is going on inside of us.

That sort of housecleaning is usually more uncomfortable but it's the task that will make the difference.

Glad you are on board! You've got half your life ahead of you to enjoy sober!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good job - check, good family - check comfortable life the good job affords me - check.. also a raging drunk that drank like a fish and got several DUI's - check, almost lost the husband as I tried to "sober up" and get it right - check, learned that I drank to escape - check...

Bob it really is about dealing with the WHY you drank. And, learning to live a different way... just not drinking is a great start. But, if you don't get to the bottom of why you drink and deal with it... trust me and several million others in the world that have gone through this... you will go back to the bottle... and it will only get worse.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Bob, I can completely relate to getting sober with a partner who drinks. I went through my first sober night just last night, while my bf downed 7 beers after work. It was hard, but damn I feel good today!

Every small step is another milestone towards your recovery. Whether your wife abstains tonight or not, it is your choice to get sober. Remember that. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. We are here for you.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by saliena View Post
good job - check, good family - check comfortable life the good job affords me - check.. Also a raging drunk that drank like a fish and got several dui's - check, almost lost the husband as i tried to "sober up" and get it right - check, learned that i drank to escape - check...

Bob it really is about dealing with the why you drank. And, learning to live a different way... Just not drinking is a great start. But, if you don't get to the bottom of why you drink and deal with it... Trust me and several million others in the world that have gone through this... You will go back to the bottle... And it will only get worse.
aint that the truth!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
Good for you, you're taking the first big step! Good job.

Hmm, 41 years old, 8-10 shots a night . . Sorry to bear the bad news, but it might be a few days or more before you're getting sound sleep. But remember: this, too, shall pass.

Good luck!
Boy you've got that right.

Last night I had my two drinks as planned went to bed around 11pm and besides these strange day dreams (scenes floating in my head yet I know I am awake) I never slept a minute.

Got out of bed in a haze and REALLY struggled at work today. First time in a long time where my performance was impacted from drinking (or in this case not drinking enough).

Tonight is our 16th Anniversary. This is going to be a tough one. We're going out to dinner but I'm committed to my plan regardless of what the Ms. does.

My biggest concern now is simply sleep. I had NO IDEA that would be my major side effect of quitting this Godawful habit.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Hey DrunkenBob,

There are some good nighttime teas at the grocery store that may help you to relax some while your body (and mind) is adjusting to not being drowned in alcohol.

Long term alcohol use depletes certain vitamins and nutrients from the body. Some multi-vitamins may help with the daytime haze.

I found some that work for me, but everyone is different. With a little research, and maybe asking your Dr., I'm sure you can find what will work best for you.

Congratulations on your decision to stay sober - you won't regret it!