Notices

Extreme Insomnia!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Extreme Insomnia!

I haven't been sleeping since I quit. The most I get is 3 hours, on a good night. I have tried everything from ZZZQuil to Melatonin to Sleepy Time tea. I am starting to reconsider this whole thing. I am miserable because I can't sleep. I can't function on 3 hours a night of sleep. Something has got to give. Is this something that anyone else experienced, and if so how did you overcome this nightmare of a way of living? I currently have a respiratory issue and cannot do any exercising to tire myself out. Thank you in advance SR, y'all are always such a great help.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

My insomnia predated my alcoholism, so it's been really rough on me. A few other natural supplements to try are L-Tyrosine and L-Tryptophan.

One thing I do which is not fun but does help is that if it gets to be too close to morning... like 4 or 5am... I just stay up through the night and into the next day. (I did that last night, in fact). I can usually then get a full night's sleep the next evening. It feels like being jetlagged but I don't actually find it that much worse than the feeling of not having slept enough.

If you didn't have insomnia before you started your DOC, though, you should probably fare better than me. I think for most people the worst of the sleep stuff is over pretty early on.

Good luck, I know how rough it is!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First things first...It's great that you are sober.

When you say "since I quit" how long are we talking about?

Second thing, don't even consider returning to drinking so you can sleep. That's just insanity.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Fan,

Thank you for the advice. I might just do that. I usually can't fall asleep until 3:30 in the morning, so I will definitely consider this tonight. Last night I was in tears because I just couldn't sleep. It almost was like I was starting to go crazy, hallucinating, even. Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Carl,

Thanks. Almost a month. I am starting to feel insane while sober. Almost like a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I know that feeling so well! The freaking out is the worst. I don't let myself do that anymore. If it's not happening, it's not happening, and I try to use the time for reading or TV or some kind of quiet project so that it doesn't feel like a waste.

I have definitely had some zombified days as a result, but considering the hangovers I used to walk around with, nothing I can't handle.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dom

My sleep started to improve and I had proper restful sleep about 4-6 weeks sober

Congrats on your month,stick at it, sleep will come
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Once your respiratory issues pass exercise will help. Other things I do:

Set routine - same bedtime every night. No weird snacks, either.
I read before bed each night. Read until sleepy.
No TV in the bedroom - too much stimulation through light and sound really impacts me.
I like a fan on me while I sleep. I like the breeze and the white noise.
Valerian has a nice calming effect for the nights I have trouble falling asleep - about once a month. (Beware - it smells like old cheese!)

Not sleeping is a real pain. I hope you get relief soon!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A month is early, but since I wasn't troubled by insomnia when I quit I don't know if it's "normal" to still not sleep.

I do know there is tons of stuff on the internet about sleep and resolving sleep issues. Some crazy, some credible. Some people have to make changes in their routines that condition them for sleep. Going to bed and waking up the same time every night, no vigorous activity right before bed, no showering right before you sleep. Cutting out certain stimuli an hour before bed. Turning your bedroom into a sleep chamber...no reading in bed, no tv, etc. The bedroom is for sleep (and intimacy).

They say, don't lay in bed waiting and waiting for sleep. Get up and read and when your eyes are tired, lay back down.

There are also a lot of relaxation techniques you can incorporate as part of the "routine" before bed, CDs you can play while you get ready to sleep, and so forth.

Just don't listen to your addiction for it's sleep advice...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks so much y'all. I will look into getting into some Valerian, along with the Ginger Root and Milk Thistle I have been taking as well lol. I really am trying to be optimistic this will pass, but sometimes I have the urge to be drunk opposed to insane, but most the time, they are one and the same, so who am I kidding? One day at a time!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea a few days ago; I had 1 hour of sleep in 57 hours :| and worked 3 nights in a row; so I feel ya .. But as said before I was always prone to insomnia before I started my awakening .. So keep up the fight and if it gets that bad maybe see a doctor .. Cause I know it is on my list for my next Appt. lol Good Luck ..
Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you've got respiratory issues as well it makes sense to me to see a Dr, Dom - get a solution tailored for you.

good to see you btw - and congrats on the month

D
Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on one month!

The valerian root and ginger is good. Some take a few nights to have any effect. Not sure what you mean by ZZZQuil, but read the label carefully, some of the liquid sleep aids are 40% alcohol.

I had insomnia for several weeks and freaked out about it (my mind trying to convince me a drink was all I needed).

Then I had a few weeks of wanting to take a nap in the afternoon and I was concerned about that (my body relaxing from not dealing with the daily toxin).

The point is my mind body was so used to being dulled by alcohol it took awhile to adjust when the poison was taken away. I did not recognize this new feeling of being SOBER 24 hours a day. It feels GREAT!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had day one of seriously reduced booze intake last night (not the same I know) and managed only about 1.5 hours of sleep and had a HORRIBLE day of productivity at work.

I cannot imagine how frustrating it will be if it's like this after a month.

I really feel for you. It's a challenge knowing that in addition to all of the problems there is sleep waiting in that damn bottle.

Stay strong!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was lucky...things were opposite for me. Struggled with insomnia for ages while drinking, but the night I quit....I had the best sleep, and have been sleeping like a baby ever since.

I agree with others...try to read or something when you are having trouble. Hopefully it will get better as your body continues to heal.

Awesome job on the month of sobriety!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dom I think most of us have at least some sleep issues in the early weeks but it does sound like you are doing it tough. It really is important to have a regular routine where you wind down before bedtime, supplements may help but winding down at the same time each night helps a lot.

The smell of lavender is very relaxing, a lavender sleep pillow or lavender pillow spray (you can make your own) can help.

Are you reading screens -- computer/laptop, tablet, phone in the hour before bed? Lots of credible studies have shown that the light from these screens interferes with sleep patterns. Study: Bright Screens Ruin Your Sleep | Geekosystem

If the current northern hemisphere heat is disturbing you at night, try the reverse of a hot water bottle: a cooler brick wrapped in a towel.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello -

I had sleep issues much like you do. All I can say is that it will pass.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I use a melatonin/chamomile/valerian/GABA supplement from Schiff, that I get at the local Costco for not much money, which does the job (supplement kicking in, now, big yawns), but it sounds like you gave some of those options a run. Maybe contact your physician? Prescription-grade sleeping pills are serious medicine.