Notices

Hoping it's not too late

Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping it's not too late

Hello everyone. Please bear with me while I introduce myself.

I'm a 37 year old man who is happily married. I'm a bit on the heavy side and my problem is with alcohol. I've always enjoyed the drink. Starting in college I drank occassionally, nothing excessive. I had a gastric bypass back in 2005 and lost a bunch of weight. In 2007 I was down almost 150 pounds.

Over the past 5 or 6 years I managed to put back on over 50 lbs. In addition my alchol consumption has incresed substantially. I would say my usual weekly consumption up until about last year was about 1/2 a bottle of 750ml Jack Daniels and coke.

I would limit my drinking to Friday and Saturday. Before I knew it it was Thursday Friday and Saturday.

Surprising to me my liver function tests have all been pristine.. nothing out of the ordinary.

Well fast forward to the past year. I went through a pretty ****** 1st half of 2012 and really didn't drink all that much.

Once I felt better I don't know why but I increased to about a full liter of Jack and diet a week. There was a period of about 2-3 months where I incresed that to a full Handle (1.75ml). It would last about 8 days before I polished it off.

I never ever drink in the morning nor have I got into any trouble becuase of the alcohol. I will typically drink alone unless we are out socializing.

I've been through a bit of a scare with my prostate this year and sort of had a wake up call. I never really knew what the safe amount of alcohol was to consume and really just started thinking about it.

I'm absolutely panicking now thinking I've permanently damaged my liver. Here is why.

1. For the past 2 weeks I've had constant feelings of lightheadedness that last most of the day. They get better mid to late afternoon

2. For the past 2-3 days I've found that my bowel movements have been 2 tone (brown with patches of what appears to be gray colored). Sorry to be gross but it's very strange.

3. For the past 2-3 weeks I've had bouts of very dry mouth. It's not feelings of being thirsty but just dry mouth.

I've been trying to get back to the gym. I start but don't ever keep up with it.

I don't know what I would be classified as far as alcohol goes. I do suffer from anxiety and neuropathy and take Cymbalta for it.

I have an appointment scheduled with a psychiatrist in the near future to talk.

I suffered a bout of constipation and saw my GI doctor. He scared the **** ouf of me when I told him I was drinking about a liter of Jack a week for close to a year. He told me people have come in with Cirrhosis that are doing what I'm doing..... Now I'm fearing the worst.

I real feeling of disgust came over me this last 4th of July when I polished off almost an entire Liter of Jack on that day. After reading "safe" amounts of alcohol I guess I've been binge drinking regularly for close to a year.

I haven't had a drink since Sunday. I've been really trying to cut down by first stopping drinking during the week. I eventually want to get back to social drinking only and maybe even stop. I don't really have a physical urge to drink I just like to feel buzzed.

Has anyone else experienced these similar issues and Symptoms? Is it possible I could have Cirrhosis or Hepatitis at this point in my life? I've never experienced what is described as Liver Pain nor do my eyes look Yellow. I don't think I'm at that point yet.

These strange bowel color changes are really freaking me out. Coupled with the feelings of lightheadedness I'm thinking complete liver failure is happening to me. I did have a full blood workup yesterday which included CMP. Those do include Liver function tests.

Thanks for Listening... Any feedback or comments would be greatly apprecicated.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Many here can identify. "I eventually want to get back to social drinking only and maybe even stop. I don't really have a physical urge to drink I just like to feel buzzed.
" WOW! Try reading your post again and take note: people who usually drink like this cannot drink in moderation and safety. Read some of the posts here, and believe them. Most of our current problems is picking up the first drink. I almost guarantee your life will get better abstaining totally. Many don't like that and run in fear of losing their "best" friend when it's our worst enemy. Checking honestly with your doctor may help a lot.. BE WELL
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. Best to talk with your Dr if you have specific concerns since each person's body reacts differently to alcohol.

I have had abnormal liver function tests before. Over time they did go back to normal. My Dr told me if I kept on drinking at the rate I was going that I would get cirrhosis ( no doubt about it).

The liver can begin to heal if not too badly damaged. Best to get a full exam and bloodwork etc. to make sure that the other organs are working properly. I'm pretty sure I have some scarring according to what my physician has told me but I don't have cirrhosis.

I'm sure that other people here will be able to relate their experiences as well..
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dont think its too late. The cool thing about your liver is it can regenerate itself. If you stop drinking now, your liver can start healing itself. Even people who receive a liver transplant only get a portion of the donor liver. Over time the portion grows to be a normal sized liver. If you're really worried, see a doctor. It will ease your fears, and you'll have one less thing to worry about while trying to stop. Good luck! You can do it! Welcome to SR!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! I hope we can encourage you to stop drinking.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

So what you are saying is. I know Im poisoning myself so what do you think is wrong with me?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome NYC37

The only way to really set your fears to rest is to see a Dr, get checked out and take it from there.

Very few of us find it's too late tho - the body is pretty resilient - as long as we stay sober.

I hope you get some good health news

D
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please reread what you have written. Quitting is the only way to let your body heal. If you don't really need the drink, don't take it. Your life and your health are worth way more. Praying for you. Hang in there, there is so much support here.