Notices

Day 1 Again.... Drank...

Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Again.... Drank...

So, I drank. 3 days in a row. Right back to a six pack a night after 2 weeks without any... Disappointed, but ready to jump back on. It really is true: You convince yourself "Wow, that was easier than I thought" and decide to dip your toe back in... Dangerous.

Live and learn!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I needed to remember there are no guarantees of return passage for many reasons, death included. The simple solution is not to pick up the first drink so we don't have to get sober AGAIN. The process of feeling good in our OWN skin cannot proceed until the plug is in the jug. I needed to learn how at AA. BE WELL
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi CrimsonKing, glad to see that you're back!

What's your plan of action so that you can combat the urges next time?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've made the same mistake so many times! We just have to keep trying!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome back. be strong and you can do this.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I, too, made the same mistake. Over, and over and over.
Like the above poster said, just don't pick up that first drink and I gaurantee you won't get drunk.

My alcoholism got progressively worse and the hangovers were hardly bearable. Please don't wait until this happens to you. And it's almost a sure bet it will if you kep drinking.

Best to you.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

back

I hope the best for you
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dust off, climb back on the wagon, try again. I think almost everyone has relapsed at some time or another. Just make sure to analyze how it happened and have a plan to stop that from happening next time, then it's a valuable lesson and not just a big downer.

Lemons to lemonade!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

CrimsonKing, Day 1 Again.... Drank...? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on your horse, it's all you can do. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You only made it 2 weeks...not really that easy was it? It's but a drop in the ocean of sobriety. I don't think I had any actual physical withdrawal from alcohol...it's the mental part that's an SOB for me. I had my first REAL challenge at 6 weeks...and I almost caved. There will be more challenges..without a doubt. I don't mean to negate your hard work but making it through one "pay period" is not "making it" in sobriety...at all. Your addictive mind needs that little slap in the face...not the real Crimsonking...he's drowning and is SPECTACULAR and wants sobriety and a great life for himself and family!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back CK - what the plan this time?

D
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

so what are you going to do differently this time. most find out that will power is never enough. if we always do what we always did we will always get what we always got
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support guys. Let's see, what will I do differently... WELL, my wife isn't the most supportive... let's put it this way: She complains about my drinking, doesn't like it, but when I quit I feel like she sets up ways I can get it... She kept offering me to go get some when we went away for the weekend and I kept making excuses as to why I wouldn't get some. If I said "oh i quit" she would probably get annoyed that i needed to "quit"... does that make sense? like i let it get so bad?

i need to make decisions for me, not for her, or be intimidated by her controlling nature. thats just the truth. not trying to be a dick or anything. the other night i said eff it and got some and she was upset that i got some... seriously, what do you want from me?

this is for me. my health. my kids. and my sanity. i won't let 2 weeks, 2 months, or whatever become a monument to celebrate... it's a drop in a bucket as someone said here.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you stopped when you did. I once had 3 yrs. & started up again - it was years before I finally got back on track. It's dangerous to play with it - but sometimes we just need a little further convincing. Good job CrimsonKing - glad you wanted to talk about it.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
Let's see, what will I do differently... WELL, my wife isn't the most supportive...
You might give some thought to a recovery-minded approach to staying sober. The ways you are going to deal with the stressors in your life and the anxiety that you said in a early post was a reason you drank.

I'm not trying to steer you to AA or the one of the secular recovery methods (AVRT, Rational Recovery). But deciding to quit, while essential to sobriety, isn't in itself a recovery tool.

It's just the first step.

As for your wife being supportive or not supportive, this is a discussion you might want to have with her. If you can't talk about it, you'll drink about it.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's a complicated "dance" we do with our partners. I'm high strung, and there were times I think my husband made it easy for me to have wine.....so I'd "chill out"; yet he wasn't happy with the amount I drank on a daily basis. Do what it takes for you to remain sober......the relationship issues will be better sorted out once you're sober.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

have had a one beer slip before dont give i didnt and dont beat yourself up over em (i did) AVRT IS GOOD also so is aa keep trying.... im trying right along with u
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome back CK. I'm glad you've learnt from your experience, as I have from my last return to drinking. Like Carl says, look into recovery-minded approaches and have a conversation with your wife about this. Also, when she or anyone else offers to go get drink for you, remember that "no" is a complete sentence.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi Crimson
I'm an old hand at relapsing. I can rarely make it past 24 hours so I disagree that two weeks was just a drop in the ocean. I bet your body loved the two weeks holiday from having to fight against all the poison it usually has to cope with.
I'm on day 5 this time round and am sorely tempted to ...but reading your post helps me to remember how crap we feel when we do drink and that it is a lie to think that having that one drink will somehow make us happy.

My netball teacher used to say (when we missed the ball)"if you can touch it,you can catch it". So your 2 weeks was like touching the ball and should encourage you to see that in fact you really can "catch" the ball for good

Thanks for this thread. Thanks for this site.