Notices

Really gotten myself in a jam

Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really gotten myself in a jam

29, been knowing that Ive had a problem for years. Hard to see the good in anything that Ive personally done and feel myself to be in the pickle of my life. 2nd DUI all the way out in AK and from Alabama. Havent drank since it occured but realistically looking at jail time. Definitely needing some hope and try to draft a plan of change
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Welcome!

You're on the right track. Realizing the problem is the first part to gaining some peace.

Are you attending any meetings? If not, I'd suggest if for reasons twofold: 1.) It's worth the try... It's worked for millions, and right now it's working for me. 2.) When you hit that court date, it's going to look better.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I know that the meetings work, had them forced on me when I got the first one and I liked what I was able to take from them. Should have kept at them when I moved out here. Feeling pretty dumb right now
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
iwh

keep at it then. if you're sincere in your recovery, getting sober and changing for the better it will show (there's many great options in how to pursue this). count on that.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about DUIs but welcome downout - you'll find a lot of encouragement here...and a few ideas too
Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

We can't change the past, but we can change the future, and learn from our mistakes we've made in the past.

I was in the same boat. When I got my DUI, I was given the gift of having the meetings forced upon me. At that time, I wasn't ready to commit to anything, but took a lot away from them. Kept on going for a while after my court-ordered ones were done. It kept me "in-check" for a while, but as the story always seems to go, I eventually stopped going and went back to dumba** drinking again. If nothing else, being forced to attend those meetings, it instilled the knowledge of what AA was like... Something I actually liked.

Fast forward about 9 years, and I found myself bordering on another DUI. It's a miracle there wasn't another in that 9 years. But I started scaring even myself... Leaving the bar lit up in my new (to me) Tahoe, taking the long way home so I could hit a straight stretch, and opening it up. Any responsibility I'd been working up to flew out the window once I had that first drink. It wasn't something new for me... It's something that's been going on for over half my life.

But, back on topic, go ahead and get a sponsor. You're not glued to them for life... You can get a temp sponsor and change down the road or have multiples even. But, as with going to the meetings, having the sponsor has the exact same benefits. I can only speak for myself, but if I hadn't gotten a sponsor and started working the steps, I'd put money on it that I never would've picked up that 1-month chip and I'd be back to joy-riding.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
iwh

dude, talk to us, we're here to help.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are still so young - you have time to right the ship, more time than you really know.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Best to you. I hope things work out.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the kind words so far. Just that realization that I am probably going to lose my job over this and be forced into a pile of debt, knowing that its all deserved, that is just enough to make you really start examining things. I know I still have time in my life to come out ahead of this thing. Just want to get on the right path and start working through everything that takes me to drinking without leaning on that.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
iwh

thanks for getting back to us!

it may not be too late for your job, jail or debt, keep your chin up & work on what you need too.

you have a good attitude. you really can get on the right path and use all of these experience as your means to do so. definitely! you will find the rewards i'm sure!

one day at a time, focus on being sober & working on your recovery. be sincere about it. i see good changes already.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very supportive site!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and nice job in reaching out for help. A lot of us don't get the picture right away and it takes time and multiple unpleasant events arising from alcohol to realize that the booze just isn't working out, and it might be best to just leave it alone. It sounds like you might be at that point. Sobriety in reality is a lot better than it sounds when you're drinking and much more hassle-free!

Being in treatment/AA before you enter a plea may get you some leniency in sentence. And there's not much good to say about being in County, but it's probably sober time.

Good luck
Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome downout! So much support, wisdom and guidance here...glad you found us.

(I'm scratchin' my head over your comment Dee...you know nothing about a Driving Under the Influence charge?)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear what you are going through. My boyfriend who is now 7 years sober had the same thing happen to him. He had a 2nd DUI at 22y/o and was looking at jail time. Through the suggestion of his family he decided to enter treatment and that completely turned his life around. All of his legal problems worked their way out and now he is living a productive life. I understand you mentioned that you were in debt and about to lose your job but I'm sure there are some more affordable treatment options in your area if you decide to take that route

Wishing you all the best, stay strong
Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
iwh

i apologize for my second comment, see?

put your heart into it, it's the only way.

reach out to us, be sincere, f us if we are not sincere in return.

i do sincerely believe that if you put your heart into recovery that you will avoid a lot of trouble. you can only start now and only have today.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I live out in the bush in AK. There really arent any options other than what would be given to me upon sentencing. Ive had so many close calls and wrecks that the cops never got involved in all attributed to booze. In the last 4 years, Ive had 4 run ins with the law, all alcohol related. Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom and encouragement. Looking forward to the sober life and putting all of this behind me in time. No place to start but now it seems. Best to get to it!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by downnout View Post
I live out in the bush in AK. There really arent any options other than what would be given to me upon sentencing. Ive had so many close calls and wrecks that the cops never got involved in all attributed to booze. In the last 4 years, Ive had 4 run ins with the law, all alcohol related. Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom and encouragement. Looking forward to the sober life and putting all of this behind me in time. No place to start but now it seems. Best to get to it!
love the positive attitude, i'm rooting for ya
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im trying to be positive. Ive done all of this to myself. What makes me really sad is knowing how let down and scared my parents would be if I only had the nerve to tell them. So sad to see what alcohol has done to their son they put through college with cash and who've always tried and be supportive. I thought really long and hard about suicide when I first got out the other morning. God knows that would only break my moms poor heart even more. If it wasnt for my family, I would be upset but it wouldnt be as bad. Sucks when you let down the ones you love, repeatedly
Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
iwh

great response, i'll type more when i can, you're doing great!