SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help with caffeine addiction please? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/301155-help-caffeine-addiction-please.html)

joygirl 07-16-2013 06:08 PM

Help with caffeine addiction please?

Hey, guys! I wondered if any of you know if this site has a place for caffeine addiction, a thread for that? My H is trying to quit caffeine and is needing some support. It's been about a week, still groggy, forgetful, etc. Sounds like all the other withdrawal symptoms, yes?
Thanks for any help!

LucifersAngel 07-16-2013 06:13 PM

Welcome!
I'm somewhat new to this site but I'm pretty sure their aren't threads for specific DOCs... But like you said those do sound like pretty general withdraw symptoms! I'm sure you will find lots of help just looking at some of the other stories

Lyoness 07-16-2013 06:13 PM

I think you just started a thread joygirl! It's amazing to me how many things become addictive and cause withdrawals, even things that we often think of as innocuous.

I'd enourage your H to drink lots of water to help flush out any toxins. If he's getting a lot of headaches maybe he needs to slowly wean from the caffeine rather than go c/t?

I'm sure other folks will be along soon with more info. and support. Take care.

joygirl 07-16-2013 06:20 PM

Thanks, Luciferangel and Lyoness! Yeah, he went cold turkey on vacation. It's so funny how he is describing how he feels, because it's so similar to my opiate w/d. He says he knows if he "just has one cup of coffee", he'll feel better. Sound familiar????
I may have him join SR. Goodness knows how it's helped save me!

GroundhogDay 07-16-2013 07:35 PM

I've never been able to stop at one cup, but can usually quit at 2. That's about as recovered as I intend to get when it comes to coffee.

joygirl 07-16-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay (Post 4073266)
I've never been able to stop at one cup, but can usually quit at 2. That's about as recovered as I intend to get when it comes to coffee.

good for you

UnixBer 07-17-2013 03:36 AM

Sounds like the method of use is 'cold turkey' abstaining from caffeine (coffee) completely? I've also stopped coffee and today drink green tea (not bags, but made from leaves) and it contains a bit of caffeine too, but it also contains some other nice things and it appears to help relax somewhat good.

Then there is this red tea called 'rooibos', which has no caffeine in it at all. Just if H is looking for a replacement for coffee. And if you want to be really careful about caffeine then you may want to consider eating chocolate and drinking green tea two risk-zones. I don't know about the mechanics of caffeine addiction, but that rooibos-tea is absolutely caffeine-free. I'm drinking it at this moment.

joygirl 07-17-2013 01:33 PM

Thanks unixber! He does have some decaff tea at work, and is drinking it in the a.m. With (reg)coffee, he really cannot stop at 1,2 or 3 cups. He craves it all day long. Drinking decaf coffee just makes him crave reg coffee! It's a problem for him because it gives him side effects that are no longer tolerable. He is a coffee junkie.