SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   benadryl addiction (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/301138-benadryl-addiction.html)

septemberbaby 07-16-2013 03:39 PM

benadryl addiction

I am new to this forum but not to recovery. I have almost 5 years alcohol free but am now suffering with a benadryl addiction. I know how stupid it is but every time I try to quit I get horrible withdrawal symptoms. Have an appointment for outpatient treatment but I was wondering if there are other people out there dealing with this issue and how you handled the benadryl detox?

least 07-16-2013 03:45 PM

I have no experience with Benadryl but want to welcome you to SR!

:welcome

Threshold 07-16-2013 04:03 PM

I have nothing to offer as far as physical detox, but I was happily surprised by this...I got hooked on benadryl and other related antihistimines as sleep aids because I was having ahard time sleeping due to anxiety.

Part of the anxiety was the result of vivid disturbing dreams...turns out the antihistamines were causing the disturbing vivid dreams...so getting off of them had the added happy side effect of ending those anxiety producing dreams!

I had headaches and generally felt like crap, but that's all I recall. It didn't last very long.

Dee74 07-16-2013 04:12 PM

welcome septemberbaby

I've certainly heard of this, but no experience myself.
Glad you're getting help :)

D

septemberbaby 07-16-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone. I actually started it to control my anxiety and at high dosages it actually increased my energy and I was able to get a ton of stuff done. I've tried tapering and that doesnt work bc I just go back to it and when I go cold turkey - by day 3 I am nauseous and having panic attacks. Hopefully I can get the help I need from outpatient.

Twofish 07-16-2013 05:26 PM

I also used Benadryl for sleep, but the lingering hangover when I woke up lasted for hours. Kinda felt groggy til noon. I now use melatonin. I do recall having vivid, disturbing dreams. Too high of a dose does cause heart palpating, atleast in me it did. May I ask, how many mgs are you taking and at what time in the evening do you take them? Many chemicals cause cravings, this one made me think. Wishing you well, Twofish

septemberbaby 07-16-2013 05:40 PM

Maybe thats why I gained 30 lbs in two years!!! My addict was turned on and I was devouring sugar and cigarettes. My usual dosage was 12 25mgs/ 3X daily (morning, noon, night) which is 900mgs...WOW - now that I typed that out its so much.

Twofish 07-16-2013 06:30 PM

Yes I do think that's way too much, therapeutically 50mg at bedtime is what the bottle advises, but who listens to that. But seriously, 900mg/day in divided doses? Weren't you thirsty? That would put a horse to sleep for days. Yes, go see your Dr. this may make it into the Guiness book of records. Why didn't you just ask for a sedative or sleeping aid?

Lyoness 07-16-2013 07:27 PM

I have become dependent on Benadryl for sleep. I used to use opiates and benzos but now I'm off them I still have the insomnia. I'm worried about using it for sleep but I figure I have to deal with one thing at a time. I'm hoping I can get off of it sooner rather than later though.

I'm glad you're seeking treatment for this. 900mgs a day is an incredible amount, if you can titrate off it, maybe with your doctor's help, maybe you can ease the withdrawals.

Lyoness 07-16-2013 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Twofish (Post 4073154)
. Why didn't you just ask for a sedative or sleeping aid?

Hey twofish. That is the challenge we face as addicts. We can't risk going on rx sleep aids because addiction is too likely to happen. You can see for those of us with addictions that even Benadryl can become a problem. :(

septemberbaby 07-16-2013 07:29 PM

the lexapro I was taking seemed to be working good for the depression but not the anxiety. I don't think they would prescribe any of that stuff for me because of my addiction issues. After doing research I found out that benedryl actually stimulates some people with bipolar disorder. I was staying up late and getting a ton of stuff done. Been drinking a ton of water but I think I am going to have to go through detox...My appointment is Thursday and that will be day 2 of no benadryl so thats usually just before the withdrawal kicks in.

septemberbaby 07-16-2013 07:34 PM

as well as shopping and food...all addict behavior that indicates I am clearly back on the addiction cycle. Stop the ride...I want to get off!