Notices

Day 7!!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7!!

Thanks to all of you here -- new and veterans of sobriety -- for the encouragement.

I am still so tempted -- but got ice water again and am cooling off. I'm telling myself that it's okay to crave it, and understandable even, but it doesn't mean I HAVE to drink!

Tomorrow will be especially tempting because I'm going to some friends' for dinner. Wine is sure to be served. And these friends get awesome wine...

I'm practicing: "No thanks -- I'm not drinking wine tonight, but some ice water would be wonderful."

Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

Congratulations on your 7 days, FreeDance!
If your friends offer you awesome wine they are sure to have even more awesome water. Just think of that cool, refreshing, delectable ice water. I cut way back on my soda consumption back before I quit drinking. Now if I really want a liquid treat besides water, tea, or coffee, I splurge with a sprite or maybe if I'm feeling randy, perhaps an energy drink.
I wish you all the best!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go!!!!!!! Get some nice sparking non alcoholic drink and amaze yourself at how fun you can have sober and enjoy the night and then feel the happiness as you wake up all fresh and happy and remembering everything!!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your week FD - it will get easier

D
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

laana, thanks for the reminder about feeling fresh in the morning. I'm thinking of that as a gift I'm giving myself. That's a BIG benefit of not drinking, to me.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me too...FreeDance, there is nothing in the world like waking up well rested, fresh, and clear. Try to visualize your evening ahead of time and play the tape to the end envisioning yourself drinking the water, even recognize the wine right next to you. Then think of how clear headed you will be all night. Then, imagine how the night and next morning would go if you do have some of that awesome wine. Sometimes for me looking at both options makes it so much more clear to me WHY this is so important and worth it.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seven days! Cool! As for wine ... that can be tough because in that context it's easy to rationalize alcohol as "food". For many this is fine ... for me and many others, it's lighting the fuse. Best not to do it.

The excuses I've used (I'm not saying to lie ... but there's always something that fits)
Wow, I'm tired, I'm going to pass on the wine.
I worked out today and I'm dehydrated. I'm going to stick with water.
Just not in the mood tonight.
I think this food goes so well with seltzer, soda, tomato juice, whatever

You get the idea.

For friends who know me I just say ... don't light the fuse.

I hope you have a wonderful sober meal with your friends.