Notices

Brand New...Help with Benzodiazapines

Old 05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Brand New...Help with Benzodiazapines

I just joined. Am female and have recently been switched from xanax to klonopin and supposed to get off all this. Doing it at home because too ill to go to detox. Anyone have any successful experience to share?
Thank you.
BenzoKlon
Old 05-22-2004, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hi I just wanted to say welcome to Soberrecovery. I do not have any experience in this aria,but some one will come along and will beable to point you in the right direction. I'm sorry your not feeling so well! ((((huggys)))
Old 05-22-2004, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hello Benzo,

I'm Anna, an alcoholic and don't have experience with that either, but I'm glad you found us and hope you keep posting. You might check out the Substance Abuse forum on this board. I think you'll find information there.

Love, Anna
Old 05-22-2004, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome benzo!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

heh benzo
mack - addict here
there are folk you want to talk to down on the narcotics anonymous site
hang in there
mackat
Old 05-22-2004, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me and my Bf got a methadone clinic after we used heroin for 6 yrs...I just stuck with the meth..While he went on to look for another high..And he got it in xanax..and elavils..(im sure i spelled it wrong..) and catapress...He mainly would take 5 xanax and 1 elavil a day...But he started like most with 1 klonapin..He got a script..from his clinics physchiatrists..She should be put in jail..Cause shes mainly a high class drug dealer..People come for help to stop being addicted to opiates..And she gets them addicted to pills...He was only 20 at the time..Now hes 22..Im 23..and hes been clean off of the xanax now for 7 months..Hes doing ok..Going to school..But i still worry cause he doesnt admit hes an addict..and hes just like trying to lead a normal life...he goes to school and then sits home...When he has to he goes to his clinic..But he hardly ever goes to groups or meetings...And he still sees the same people he used with from his clinic...I worry that its a matter of time he will start again...But i know if he tries a lil harder and actually faces his demons he will do even better...It can be done you just have to want it...Recovery aint easy..Theres no easy way out..Your gonna feel pain..Your gonna be uncomfortable..And feel unsecure...and awkward around people..You have a disease..You didnt get where your at overnite..So you will not get better overnite...Thats the problem with many addicts especially opiate and pill addicts..They want instant results..They dont wanna be uncomfortable at all..But what you expect..we been putting crap into our bodies for however long...Our bodies arent made of steel...Also it does damage to our personalites and the way we think and see things..This disease also plays alotta tricks on us...So you gotta stay on your toes and always check on yourself...Especially in the begininng...
Im saying this cause i have many friends who are addicted to benzo's..Its the new drug of choice for heroin users who cant do dope no more..and are on methadone..Or arent and just feel heroin ruined them too much but still wanna feel a nod...And think since xanax is legal..that they arent using...They trick themselves saying they have anxiety problems...When if you really did..You would only take one pill..Not 2 or 3 or more to get high..Also theres other anxiety medicines that arent narcotics and wont get you high..If you all had a real problem you would try something else..But basically your addicts looking to still run from your problems looking for a quick fix..I probably would of been rite there with my man if he hadnt gotten there first and i hadnt seen how damaging they are...Once i saw how bad he looked and the seizures and memory loss..And temper tantrums..I sed to myself i was dumb enough to get hooked on heroin i aint doing it with benzos when i see exactly what they do...
You will get better you just gotta hang on and keep fighting it...Dont let yourself go back..REmind yourself of the hell it put you through..Remind yourself how much you lost..Remind yourself how one day you might take a bunch or even just one and never wake up again i seen it happen..My man also went into 2 comas...From taking them...So it can happen thank god he woke up with no damage...Even though he aint mentally retareded..I think they have done damage to him though in suttle ways that maybe he wont notice till later on..I wish you the best..Keep coming here..and feel free to PM me if you need to or have questions...Jackie
Old 05-23-2004, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Red face Thanks

Originally Posted by zoomer
Hi I just wanted to say welcome to Soberrecovery. I do not have any experience in this aria,but some one will come along and will beable to point you in the right direction. I'm sorry your not feeling so well! ((((huggys)))
Don't know if using this system right but want to say thank you for your empathy! R
Old 05-23-2004, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Red face thank you.

Thank you for your indepth response and I"m truly sorry for all the suffering you and your b.f. have been going through. I've witnessed the suffering of getting off heroin.
I was put on xanax in 1989 for severe anxiety by psychiatrist...and always took less than they wanted me to and then got myself off...took 7 months and it was HELL. Then needed to rely on small dose for sleep for many years due to many stressors and coming down with incurable illness for which I'm on disability. Now my body has built tolerance and needs more so I intervened and asked psychiatrist to help me get off. He put me on klonopin...I think it's another horrible option. Now trying to get off that. Makes my cognitive distorted worse than xanax but supposedly less addictive than xanax. It's all mudd to me but I hear you when you say hang in there and that tho it gets worse before it gets better, it will be worth it! I Hope! Take care of you and hope you and b.f. get therapy/counseling eventually. I know many use to numb out painful feelings/trauma, etc. May be why I got so anxious in first place..just another way to block out trauma. Either way, this is a great site and I'm grateful for it and thankful for your heartfelt reply. God bless. R

QUOTE=wishIsedNO]Me and my Bf got a methadone clinic after we used heroin for 6 yrs...I just stuck with the meth..While he went on to look for another high..And he got it in xanax..and elavils..(im sure i spelled it wrong..) and catapress...He mainly would take 5 xanax and 1 elavil a day...But he started like most with 1 klonapin..He got a script..from his clinics physchiatrists..She should be put in jail..Cause shes mainly a high class drug dealer..People come for help to stop being addicted to opiates..And she gets them addicted to pills...He was only 20 at the time..Now hes 22..Im 23..and hes been clean off of the xanax now for 7 months..Hes doing ok..Going to school..But i still worry cause he doesnt admit hes an addict..and hes just like trying to lead a normal life...he goes to school and then sits home...When he has to he goes to his clinic..But he hardly ever goes to groups or meetings...And he still sees the same people he used with from his clinic...I worry that its a matter of time he will start again...But i know if he tries a lil harder and actually faces his demons he will do even better...It can be done you just have to want it...Recovery aint easy..Theres no easy way out..Your gonna feel pain..Your gonna be uncomfortable..And feel unsecure...and awkward around people..You have a disease..You didnt get where your at overnite..So you will not get better overnite...Thats the problem with many addicts especially opiate and pill addicts..They want instant results..They dont wanna be uncomfortable at all..But what you expect..we been putting crap into our bodies for however long...Our bodies arent made of steel...Also it does damage to our personalites and the way we think and see things..This disease also plays alotta tricks on us...So you gotta stay on your toes and always check on yourself...Especially in the begininng...
Im saying this cause i have many friends who are addicted to benzo's..Its the new drug of choice for heroin users who cant do dope no more..and are on methadone..Or arent and just feel heroin ruined them too much but still wanna feel a nod...And think since xanax is legal..that they arent using...They trick themselves saying they have anxiety problems...When if you really did..You would only take one pill..Not 2 or 3 or more to get high..Also theres other anxiety medicines that arent narcotics and wont get you high..If you all had a real problem you would try something else..But basically your addicts looking to still run from your problems looking for a quick fix..I probably would of been rite there with my man if he hadnt gotten there first and i hadnt seen how damaging they are...Once i saw how bad he looked and the seizures and memory loss..And temper tantrums..I sed to myself i was dumb enough to get hooked on heroin i aint doing it with benzos when i see exactly what they do...
You will get better you just gotta hang on and keep fighting it...Dont let yourself go back..REmind yourself of the hell it put you through..Remind yourself how much you lost..Remind yourself how one day you might take a bunch or even just one and never wake up again i seen it happen..My man also went into 2 comas...From taking them...So it can happen thank god he woke up with no damage...Even though he aint mentally retareded..I think they have done damage to him though in suttle ways that maybe he wont notice till later on..I wish you the best..Keep coming here..and feel free to PM me if you need to or have questions...Jackie[/QUOTE]
Old 05-23-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks

Originally Posted by 51anna
Hello Benzo,

I'm Anna, an alcoholic and don't have experience with that either, but I'm glad you found us and hope you keep posting. You might check out the Substance Abuse forum on this board. I think you'll find information there.

Love, Anna
Thank you Anna. I will look for this forum you suggest. It's not easy to figure out this site when in withdrawals!

Take care, R :japanese:
Old 05-23-2004, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi

Originally Posted by mackat
heh benzo
mack - addict here
there are folk you want to talk to down on the narcotics anonymous site
hang in there
mackat
Hi M.

Where is "down on the narcotics anonymous site?" This is all so new and I'm confused. Thanks Take care of you, R :japanese:
Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Benzodiazepines are much harder to kick than heroin. It took 1 1/2 years, (14 years ago) before I was okay. Now there is an amazing website to inform/help with the addiction/recovery...www.benzo.org.uk
Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Benzodiazapine withdrawal can be dangerous. I recommend you go to detox. If you are "too ill" to do detox, you need to be in a hospital, not at home.

If you have an anxiety disorder, you need continuing care for that. You need an evaluation from a psychiatrist who is experienced with co-occurring disorders so they can assess the involvement of the drug addiction. If you are not receiving professional services for your anxiety disorder, you need to get that lined up. NOW. Otherwise you are stuck in a revolving door.

You can manage anxiety symptoms with medications that are non addictive. Benzodiazapines should never be prescribed to someone with a history of substance use disorders, so although you may not have had that history when you were prescribed Xanax, you have the history now. Go get the mental health services you need. Once that is being managed you can work on recovery for the chemical dependency.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ama

One Day at a Time

Benzo Babe! Welcome to SR!

I did the benzo withdrawal 4 years ago!!!!! i will never ever forget it. It would be best if you could do it under medical supervision. The benzos for me caused a profound pharacological dependance and were ALL prescribed. Lexotan was one for "whenever required" - usually 3mg 4+ daily!!!!!! 60mg Dalmain every night too!!! Benzos are highly addictive you see and even on prescription levels alone cause addiction......

In a worst case scenario - no doc, take note of your current prescribed or otherwise!
dosages.

Set yourself a 3-6 month zero target, and carefully and gently reduced your dosage until after the given period you are on none.

As with all detoxs, eat properly and drink plenty of water and rest well.

The first few days twisted my head inside out and then the physical pain wreaked havoc through my body.......(I was also on a Seroxat withdrawal at the same time)

Set up a daily MOOD diary and log anything minor or significant that occurs to you and also to map your progress......

This detox took me 3 months but didnt get my head back fully for another three but it IS well worth it!!!!!

I wish you well on this difficult journey; the destination IS WORTH IT!!!!!