Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

This is a fabulous thread! Love getting to know why everyone chose their avatars and, in some cases, their names.

Mine is actually my initials (PT) and then the name of one of my all time favorite writers (who was also an alcoholic and whom the world lost far too soon, IMHO). Reminds me that I can be a writer without being a drunk, too. Doesn't have to go hand-in-hand.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

The Crossroads

Famed location where Blues Legend Robert Johnson sold his sole to the devil to play guitar.

For me it is about the crossroads of my life with alcohol.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
klown - not sure what your're doing but I know I don't wanna try it
You've never had the notion to squeeze yourself into one of those little kiddie cars?

It's odd, but I'm finding in sobriety that my tendencies to do these kind of things are actually increasing. I'm basically a giant kid. The GF was laughing last week when we went to the Star Wars exhibit because I was wearing a Star Wars shirt and wanted my picture taken with every item. I don't do pictures either!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
MidnightBlue - I thought you were a man until this avatar
)))) Maybe, my masculine traits of character speak so loud sometimes)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

My Avatar changes with my mood and usually reflects where I am at in my journey of sobriety. On e of my early avatars was a picture of a rollercoaster ride as my emotions wer so all over th place all I could do was hold on to my rails to ensure my sobriety.

My current Avatar reminds of the importance to dream and it is a beach scene because I am looking forward to seeing the back of winter and hitting the beach again when summer arrives.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
iwh

this is a really great thread. thanks for not being afraid to ask a simple question and with such good spirit.

i couldn't help but project dimension into some of these avatars sometimes and this thread made these people much more human.

i think i may get to an avatar at some point, but for now i like the changing and minimalist aspect of mine; iwanthorseradish, iwashere, ivanwillingtonhuston, iwanthug, etc.. feel free to project your own acronyms there.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

My avatar is "Distance" or Jeg Savner Deg (i miss you) by Sam Brown of ExplodingDog.com. He's a cool artist who gets lines or sentences from people and turns them into drawings. To me it represents the divide that separates us...it's loneliness. In the context of this site, for me it represents the fact that my drinking was a chasm that kept me from everyone I loved.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
iwh

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
To me it represents the divide that separates us...
i've been learning that is a good line for us all to have.

not loneliness, but the line that separates us.

focus is good too, so avatar show and tell please continue...
Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
now's the time

The first time I lived abroad not part of a study program, it was in New Zealand. I was young and heartbroken over the end of a relationship, and kind of just throwing myself as far as I could into something new. It was amazing but at times incredibly overwhelming. I was lonely a lot. I knew that I was becoming the person that I was going to be in the future, but wasn't quite sure who that was.

Sound familiar...?

Anyway fantails are these very active, mischievous birds that flit around and will get right up close to you. When I wasn't working (and sometimes when I was) I spent all of my time hiking and camping. And those fantails always showed up just when I started to get really heavy-minded. I discovered that it was impossible to be melodramatic with a fantail flitting around my head. They were my little messenger birds, reminding me to relax and see the lightness in life.

So, I chose the name to remind me of that time in my life, and to keep an eye on the lightness.

The pic is just a random illustration I found of one online.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Mine is Denali, aka Mt McKinley, the highest mountain in North America. I visited Denali last summer and have never seen anything so jaw dropping inspiring, beautiful, imposing, frightening and majestic as Denali. A sobriety akin to climbing an imposing, craggy peak and a booze and depression-free life is beautiful and inspiring? Just like Denali.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I just love Grumpy Cat.

Truth be told, that was how I used to think while I was drinking.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am round faced and rather ho hum about things like Mr. Brown. I never kicked that football before it was swiped away. I always bought the tree that lost its needles. But I have always had that unmentioned eternal hope that Charlie understates.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
iwh

i read what i wrote and it comes across so sad & boring, but i wrote it with happiness and silly too. i do not come across well in txt. this is serious subject. if i post serious pic no one likes me, if i post fun pic, no one likes me. i don't have a dog or cat, but i do love them.

um this i guess:

f, give me a min.

there's no photoshop in that image. he made the jump, went on to be big moviestar & has done well in 'recovery'.

i didn't mean to open a can of worms here. it's just an image. other people have done it, i'm not getting started.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

soul, not sole........
Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

stewie griffin is funny .
Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
iwh

duane1?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I just love YODA, although I'm probably more like Jabba the Hut in real life (at this point almost 9 months pregnant) :

"Han, mah bukee, keel-ee caleya ku kah. Wanta dah moole-rah? Wonkee chee sa crispa con Greedo?"

Translation: Han, my boy, you disappoint me. Why haven't you paid me? And why did you fry poor Greedo?

Haha. I'm such a dork... Star Wars is AWESOME. Ok, the first ones were awesome. The newer ones.... Decent but not as good. Just my opinion.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

mine is to remind me to keep pushing forward and moving over obstacles that try to get me down!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
I just love YODA, although I'm probably more like Jabba the Hut in real life (at this point almost 9 months pregnant) :

"Han, mah bukee, keel-ee caleya ku kah. Wanta dah moole-rah? Wonkee chee sa crispa con Greedo?"

Translation: Han, my boy, you disappoint me. Why haven't you paid me? And why did you fry poor Greedo?

Haha. I'm such a dork... Star Wars is AWESOME. Ok, the first ones were awesome. The newer ones.... Decent but not as good. Just my opinion.
I love the original trilogy, too, it's absolutely the best. The later three were just like video games to me and lacked what made the original series so special. I saw Star Wars at a tough time in my early life and it just carried me away and helped save my life. I mean that quite literally. So I always say Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time. With Empire a close second.

May the Force be with you!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
iwh

bump