Notices

Hello all New here

Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all New here

Hi
I am new on day one of sobriety yet again. This time I am ready to start. I haven't even thought of a forum. My life is busy and I still manage to drink lots. How I don't get it. I started drinking as a teenager Im 30 now. I stopped drinking around the age of 18 and never picked up a drink other than the occasional holiday beer for 9 years. Traumatic events ensued around the age of 26 and I started experimenting within 6 months with alcohol again. It reached heightened proportions by the time I was 28 and I hardly want to remember the rest even if I can. I ended up in detox in December after a night of drinking 16-16 ounce beers. I am a small framed woman 5'5 130lbs. I usually drink every other night at least a bottle of wine chased down by a few beers. It is less than last year but it is still raging alcoholic proportions. I no longer throw up with hangovers I just have liver pain some shakes chronic fatigue and all the other bull*** that goes along with being hungover. 4 weeks ago I got into an accident not alcohol related. I want to get off this train. Since the beginning of the year I have had about 3, 3 week stints of not drinking but that is not sobriety. Im sick of this life. I want support but have realized Im the only one who can help myself I am the only one who has to drink the crap. Ive done AA but never committed to it. Maybe im being a snob but it hasn't rung my bell. I am not desperate for AA. I started a relationship with a therapist recently. There are just a few things about AA I cant wrap my brain around Im willing to do whatever it takes and I know I have plenty of irrational thinking behaviors I need to work through. So here's my start. Day one of true coming out of the closet and hoping to find the answers I need to beat this thing and live a peaceful, rested, healthy life.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome oceantornado

You'll find a lot of people exploring a variety of different approaches here.

If you feel AA is not your thing, ok - I'm not in AA either - but I really urge you to find out what is 'your thing'

D
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Oceantornado,

It sounds like perhaps this is the first time that you are totally committed to abstinence? For me, that made the difference. Before that, I would try to moderate, but would always end up back where I started. You might want to look into AVRT. This forum is also very good for getting and giving support.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! AA wasn't my thing either..but I'm pretty sure this place is. I am eternally grateful for the existence of AA and they get a whole lotta things right...community and keeping connected to your sobriety..but I had more questions than I could not find answers for. I am so eternally grateful there are MORE answers than just AA these days. Even 7 years ago it seemed like the only hope...and that kind of hurt. Since I didn't resonate with AA..I was again lost and alone...and THAT hurts your sobriety.

Nevertheless, you do need some strategies...and this place is one of mine.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a very supportive place.