SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Scared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/301002-scared.html)

Preciousguppy 07-15-2013 02:13 PM

Scared

That's how I feel, scared. I haven't had a drink in 8 days. I haven't been to any meetings. I didn't have any physical symptoms at all. I am just very anxious. I am terrified to see a doctor, I've been drinking a long time. I feel so stupid, so guilty. I'm very depressed.

ScottFromWI 07-15-2013 02:18 PM

It's very common to feel scared Precious, coming here was a great idea and welcome. You'll find a lot of support here, and making it 8 days is fantastic. Are you afraid of the doctor because of existing symptoms? If so don't hesitate too see one, it's completely confidential and they have seen everything. I just had a follow up with our family doctor last week and we openly discussed how much better i am feeling since I quit, and all my vitals and tests reflect it as well. You are doing a great thing for yourself!

Nonsensical 07-15-2013 02:20 PM

Welcome to SR.

Your anxiety is quite normal at 8 days. To compensate for a prolonged period of elevated dopamine due to alcohol consumption your brain got used to producing extra anxiety-inducing CRF. Now that you're not drinking there's all this CRF, with no artificially induced dopamine to balance it out.

The good news is that your brain can repair itself and get back to normal in a few weeks or months. Hang in there!

MIRecovery 07-15-2013 02:49 PM

Go to a meeting and I think you'll feel a whole lot better. The best way to get on your feet is to get off your b***. As my sponsor says AA is not like a pizza place it does not deliver dine in only

Acheleus 07-15-2013 02:51 PM

Day 2 here after a relapse and I feel scared too. I am hoping I can relax in a few days.

least 07-15-2013 03:35 PM

It's normal to be afraid in early recovery. You're going thru a lot of changes. :hug: You can do this.

Preciousguppy 07-15-2013 04:40 PM

Yes, that's what I'm so afraid of, I don't know whether this sick feeling in my stomach is nerves or my liver. I didn't feel this way when I was drinking, it's scary. Thank you for your advice and encouragement. It helps.

Dee74 07-15-2013 04:45 PM

Welcome Preciousguppy :)
feeling terrified is normal - at least it was for me, but you'll find a lot of support here :)

why not join the Class of July thread (also in this forum) you'll meet a whole bunch of newcomers there :)

D

Anna 07-15-2013 05:01 PM

I pretty much had to learn a new way to live. It's okay to be scared at times, but hopefully you can learn to deal with your feelings so you can feel some peace. I found yoga very helpful, lots of walking helped. There are many good books to teach you relaxation techniques.

Bruce292 07-15-2013 05:38 PM

I totally understand not wanting to go see a doctor. They have all of their tests and whatnot. After I had stopped drinking for roughly 10 weeks I went for my physical and got a blood test and all. My doctor (who is a hot ticket) said ... Well! We seem to be on the mend! It took me a long time to realize that doctors weren't people who I needed to hide my drinking/drug abuse from. They're people who are available to help me be well.

For me I had anxiety, depression, and fear to burn for at least two months. Started to level out after that. It was very difficult to deal with at first but I knew if I didn't face myself to deal with everything being well, for me, was going to be difficult.

Hang in there. Hold your head high. Show 'em what you got! Keep posting. Also, take a minute to tell yourself that you're AMAZING for not drinking for eight days. That's so wonderful!

Preciousguppy 07-15-2013 06:08 PM

Thank you so much Bruce, it's helps to know I'm not alone in this. With Gods help, I intend to never drink again.