Notices

Looking to Connect with Suboxone Users

Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Looking to Connect with Suboxone Users

New to this site, newly using Suboxone, and would like to chat with anyone who is currently or has been prescribed Suboxone to assist with detox. Best of luck to you all. Stay strong!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site. We have a forum just for suboxone users. Give it a look.

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank you!!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about subs but welcome to SR TracyTracy

D
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been on Suboxone for about 8 months now. I am an addict and a health care professional (I'm sure not the only one on this site) and just received an e-mail about making sure I don't give medical advice so I apologize that I did in the past. It is just hard to automatically not help people. So please forgive my previous posts/blogs and I do agree with the site that medical questions should always be directed to YOUR health care provider and not a different one. I tell my patients if they don't trust me then they need to find a different health care provider. Anyway I can still relay my personal Suboxone experience as I think that is allowed.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by addictedmd View Post
I have been on Suboxone for about 8 months now. I am an addict and a health care professional (I'm sure not the only one on this site) and just received an e-mail about making sure I don't give medical advice so I apologize that I did in the past. It is just hard to automatically not help people. So please forgive my previous posts/blogs and I do agree with the site that medical questions should always be directed to YOUR health care provider and not a different one. I tell my patients if they don't trust me then they need to find a different health care provider. Anyway I can still relay my personal Suboxone experience as I think that is allowed.
I just would like to talk to other people on suboxone,I've been on it three years and its been a bumpy ride,I'm afraid to go off totally cause I feel it's a safety net,maybe I'm wrong but I'd sure appreciate any input from you and others..thanks

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been on Sub for 8 months now; I thought I would originally be on it for a few months and so I tried to ween down and I did to 1/4 of the dose I was rx but my mood went with it; I had no energy, severely depressed; contemplated suicide. I talked to my psych about it and she said she thought I should go back to my original dose to get my mood back up to at least manageable so I did what she recommended and I went back up to 2mg twice a day. If I try to decrease it at all my mood becomes very unstable and I am afraid of what I might do when I get into one of those dark depressing states so I have stayed on the 2mg twice a day. Before I got my dose adjusted I was on a higher dose and I was very anxious, nauseated and unable to sleep so I got my dose down to 2mg twice a day; I had started on the 4mg twice a day and that was just too much for me. I figure it is either the Sub or antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications for me and my psych did not think I needed any mood stabilizers so I just went with what she recommended. Based on my personal experience the mood stabilizers are just as difficult to get off to sometimes. I think the consensus is it is like a safety net as I don't have any cravings when I am on it and I don't want those to come back b/c I don't know what would happen so I stay on it for now b/c my other options are severe depression, quit my job/career, and maybe kill myself so I figure for now it's a good alternative. I have good health insurance so that helps. I would talk to your doctor about tapering down if you want to or if you are having side effects maybe you need to adjust your dose or maybe you need some medicine to help with the side effects; these are all things my psych did for me and it was very helpful. I know of someone that's been on it for 5 years and she is afraid to quit b/c she just got her life back together and off probation and now has her medical license free and clear so I don't blame her. As crazy as it sounds that someone would give up their career as a doctor or pharmacist just for opiates we all know this happens all too often as the addiction is so powerful it's like it has the gravitational pull of the black hole; it sucks you right in. What have your experiences with the suboxone been like? The one thing I really noticed when I started the Sub is that all of this anger/rage came to the surface that apparently I had been keeping inside of me for a very long time and trust me; I didn't like that feeling. That part has gotten a little better but I still haven't talked to or seen anyone from my family for over 8 months and they have no idea why. It's b/c I have lots of anger towards them for things they probably don't even have a clue about but I feel like it is all I can do to hold myself together and get to work and home and meetings and do my random UDS 2-3x/month that I really don't have anything left to give to anyone else right now; I know this sounds horribly selfish. Anyone else dealing with lots of anger towards their family/friends that they never knew they had when they were using that surfaced after they became sober? Sorry for the rambling.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tracy Tracy and jettboy

I was prescribed suboxone last Tuesday kind of as a last ditch try. My doc is vicodin and the constant cravings and PAWS get me every time. My use of vicodin was starting to progress very rapidly so i went to my doctor and we decided to try this.

I'm still undecided about this medication as i don't like some of the side affects. Headache is a biggie. But it does stop the cravings immediately. It's so nice to have a break from that.

I also don't like the way it makes me feel but i think that's a good thing. I don't want to like it. That way, it'll be that much easier to quit. Doc prescribed 8/2 mgs.but i only take a quarter pill for the entire day. It works.

What is your experience with it?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AddictedMd- Thank you for your posts and I would love to speak to you privately if you don't mind. I myself have been in Emergency Medicine for almost 18years, so your statement rings true. I apologize for getting you reprimanded, although I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and your honesty. I seem to have issues getting answers from my own MD, and as you know any MD can attend the one time 8 hour course to obtain Suboxone Licensing, however not every MD truly understands the depths of Hell one reaches in this type of situation. I did not begin using narcs/opiates recreationally, an ex broke my back in 3 places with a fire poker and its been a rollercoaster ride since. Please know that I am not looking to connect with you on the basis of your profession but rather your personal experience as I am finding it difficult to find genuine connections on this topic. Because of my position within my community and the surrounding communities it is not an option for me to seek out this type of support locally. If you would like to chat further please contact me. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Lots of luck...xoxo
Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile Response to All

I would love to speak to everyone that has responded to me here. Thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond. A little about me, I initially sustained an back injury from an ex-husband with a fire poker at the age of 22. This led to the next (approximately) 12 years of being on the following rx's in chronological order at the highest doses available, (and then some). I went back and forth with some so this is what I have done with my doc's through the past 12yrs, Darvocet, Vicodin, Vicoprofren, Percocet, Lortab, Fentanyl, Avinza, Oxycontin, Opana, Fentanyl, Oxycontin, Morphine, and finally the past 2 years Methadone (as long acting pain med) combined with 30mg Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I spent the past year tapering off of the Methadone and Oxycodone (cheating the whole time) and just began the Suboxone last Tuesday. The first few days I experienced some w/d but it paled in comparison to past w/d's. The first few days it made me extremely moody, angry, resentful, and then just makes me feel very strange. This I am assuming comes from having what would be as close to a sober mind as I have had for the first time in a long time. The meds always seemed to dull out reality and now having to deal with life in the face leads to very overwhelming and anxious feelings at times. I have a strong personality so this is new for me to experience feelings like this. My MD is pretty much a big butthole who avoids answering questions and doesn't seem to really care much about the issues Im having other than to tell me, "no one ever died from w/d". In my opinion this statement is naïve. I know physical w/d can't kill you without an underlying issues, however I do know that the physical and psychological pain of w/d has driven people to suicide. Being in Emergency Medicine I have seen this on numerous occasions. My point here is to try and connect with people that are current Suboxone users so that we may share and exchange experiences, and perhaps be supportive to one another. So please keep in touch if you are interested in maintaining this type of relationship/connection. Thank you for your time, and good luck to each of you.....xoxo
Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peanut44 View Post
Tracy Tracy and jettboy

I was prescribed suboxone last Tuesday kind of as a last ditch try. My doc is vicodin and the constant cravings and PAWS get me every time. My use of vicodin was starting to progress very rapidly so i went to my doctor and we decided to try this.

I'm still undecided about this medication as i don't like some of the side affects. Headache is a biggie. But it does stop the cravings immediately. It's so nice to have a break from that.

I also don't like the way it makes me feel but i think that's a good thing. I don't want to like it. That way, it'll be that much easier to quit. Doc prescribed 8/2 mgs.but i only take a quarter pill for the entire day. It works.

What is your experience with it?
Hi Peanut, I have been prescribed 3 of the 8/2mg films per day. I too have the headaches which I believe (for me) come from the Naloxone/Narcan. (not giving medical advice or diagnosing your side effects-just to clarify as addictedmd was spoken to for this) I agree it controls the w/d and cravings but less the numbing effect of the opiates life is a whole new experience and one Im not terribly fond of at this point. How long do you plan to use the Suboxone for?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JettBoy View Post
I just would like to talk to other people on suboxone,I've been on it three years and its been a bumpy ride,I'm afraid to go off totally cause I feel it's a safety net,maybe I'm wrong but I'd sure appreciate any input from you and others..thanks

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Hi Jett, I am new to Suboxone. I began using it last Tuesday. What was your original dose, and what are you at now? If you don't mind.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My original dose was two eight Mgs a day ,now I'm on one ,it seems to be doing the trick ,I've noticed that its best to take it at the same time every day. It s seems like your body knows when it's time,I start feeling like I'm going thru withdrawal if I don't take it at the same time. I've been leaving my script at the pharmacy and picking up my dose like every other day because in the past I've abused it,ran short and gotten sick. It does take time to come off of it,you just can't say one day,I'm done and not take it. You have to be weened down ,for me it's like a safety net,I know that when I'm on my bi polar meds and the suboxone I can't take opiates . Now if you introduce benzo's in to the mix its bad. Any type of anxiety meds and suboxone is a very bad combination. I'm still struggling with it,my gorilla wants to say forget it,go off and use but I really don't want too,I don't enjoy the opiates anymore and all it causes is problems..I hope you have good luck with it as long as you take it as prescribed you'll do great . If you want to talk I'm just a message away...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow just realized you're in Woodstock, we are neighbors I'm about 15 miles from Woodstock!) Thank you for your response. I take my script home and I know what you mean about taking it the same time everyday or feeling it. I seem to feel it more if I eat close to another dose. It feels as though it makes a difference, have you noticed that? And in the past I have certainly been abusive with my rx, but this time I'm being very well behaved about it.