Notices

New to the forums and sobriety....

Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forums and sobriety....

Hello,

I have only been sober since June 21st, it's jut three weeks, but it is huge to me! I have not gone 24 hours in 10 years without having my nightly bottle of wine. So far I am feeling fabulous, I am sleeping much better, waking up refreshed, lighter, clear headed, less irritable, etc. I have been through many "firsts" already without drinking; family parties, a holdiay, dinner out, a party with friends, being offered drinks and saying no thanks -"I'm good". I realized my life really did revolve completely around alcohol.

In just three weeks I am finding myself with more energy and wanting to do new things and go more places. Before I constantly worried about when and how I could start drinking for the day. It feels great to be free from constantly thinking about drinking.

The downside has been frequent daily cravings and triggers and some worry and anxiety about whether or not I will be able to stay sober. In my circle of friends, they all drink (and so did I) for every occassion. I really want to find a new friend or two that do not drink, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that yet. I fear my friends, and probably some family, will stop including me, but I am prepared for that and ok with it, it is much more important to me now that I am sober.

Well, that's my brief introduction to the newcomers forum, thanks for reading.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Brite! Big congratulations to you on 3 weeks! That is wonderful!!!

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. It continues to get better and better, so the future is bright for you Brite! My vice was also a bottle of wine (or sometimes 2) a night. I used to do the same thing with constantly thinking about when I would start drinking. Isn't it fantastic to be free from that now!

This is a great place for support and encouragement in your commitment to sobriety. Stay tuned here. It's been a saving grace for me. Glad you found us!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations. There are many here that are a great help in time of need. I got my help from the people in AA years ago so I'm partial as it helps millions world wide IF they want it. It works if we work it is used often. For me there is great value in flesh meetings where people also understand us. Hang in there and try not to be scared off because this is the most important thing I ever did for living as opposed to squeaking by each day hung over. BE WELL
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks sober. That is a huge accomplishment. I am glad to hear that you realize you can enjoy activities without alcohol. Things will get better and better. This is a great place for support. Keep coming and posting. Welcome to our community!!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three weeks sober and welcome to the family!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome and congrats! I found new friends, with AA or the non drinking folks I hadn't associated with before. And I don't miss my old crowd that much.