Notices

Addicted to recovery work

Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Addicted to recovery work

Is there an AA term for this? I'm noticing if I don't go to a meeting I get anxious. I seem to spend lots of time on SR (now that I've discovered it). I think about staying sober all the time. It seems like I'm developing signs of, well, almost *addiction* to recovery stuff.

Is there a point where I'll stop being... well, obsessed about staying sober? I will admit I'm mildly neglecting some of my work to do recovery-related stuff (although I am definitely not neglecting myself or my family - this is nothing but a huge plus for all of us).
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we can bandy the addiction word around too much sometimes.

If it's adding to your life, helping you grow, and keeping you sane - it's really not a problem.

If it's stopping you from doing other things you really should be doing, then sure - maybe then it's time to take a step back and look at things

D
Old 07-14-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had many days where i have spent all my time on "addiction recovery stuff". I have definitely neglected work on many occasions.
I weigh that up against the time i spent drinking and all the things i didn't do because i was drunk or hung over i don't feel so guilty. I find i am way more productive even when i count the hours i spend on my recovery. The hours we spend on ourselves in recovery are necessary and really beneficial to our quality of life moving forward. Its all part of taking back our lives.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did 90 in 90....it helped me but I did feel like AA was my whole life (besides work). As time has gone on I have enhanced my life with other things (still do meetings 5 days a week) but I don't think about NOT drinking or drinking like I used to in the beginning.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I look at it as temporary... at least the amount of time and the intensity of it, at this stage anyway. I don't think I'll be this "addicted" a year from now when my sobriety is more firmly established. All in all, addiction to recovery isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I actually think it's healthy. I view it similar to something like if I was studying a new language, training for a marathon, planning a wedding, or whatever, ...if we're focused on accomplishing something, then that's where we tend to direct most of our time. IMO.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

From the start, my recovery had to be balanced. That's the only way it would work for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered

For me the recovery stuff was pretty intense in the beginning. There is balance now, but I had to give time, time.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Soberjennie ...and Anna. There is much to learn and deal with in recovery and sometimes I feel like I don't have a clue how to live a normal life..do normal things. I been broken a long time. Alcohol was a crutch that never gave me the strength to walk on my own. I think that recovery will though...especially since I'm in my right mind whilst utilzing this crutch : ) My sobriety was a little shaky yesterday and I made it through with SR support. Since I didn't drink I am able to process all that happened that threatened my sobriety and learn from it. I built some emotional muscle I think. My emotional muscle completely atrophied in alcohol.

Nevertheless...we need to be mindful of balance though. We need to do things independendently and sober...but I like having something to lean on whilst I do that.
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's healthy too!! Just don't burn out!! Mix it up and do some service work, there are a lot of people out there that need help!! Wonderful post, thanks for sharing!! Keep up the great work!!
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnwFlower View Post
I actually think it's healthy. I view it similar to something like if I was studying a new language, training for a marathon, planning a wedding, or whatever, ...if we're focused on accomplishing something, then that's where we tend to direct most of our time. IMO.
I'm with you on this, SnwFlower. It just makes sense to me to focus on it with that laser type of focus at first... to sort of jump start things I would do this for any other thing in my life I was making into a new habit. And this just happens to be the BIGGIE in our lives... all other success hinges on our success in staying sober.

At 100 days, I'm seeing myself naturally turn to the other big areas of my life that now need "fixing", and so I am ready to back off just a bit on recovery work. But until I nail down that daily routine, where I don't have to force myself into doing the daily tasks that are recovery related (most of my daily tasks are, because my program is holistic), I'll probably maintain this intensity a little longer.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm putting as much work into my sobriety as i did into my drinking. I figure, i spent A LOT of time drunk and drinking so i'm used to something occupying my mind at all times. I mean, it was rare for me to be not drinking or scheming to drink. So my brain's used to being obsessed and working. So now that i'm sober, my brain needs work. I fill my down time with sobriety stuff but not to the total exclusion of my life. Sobriety work often takes presence over fun things but not so much that my life feels void of fun. To be honest, i really look forward to my meetings and fellowshiping with other sober alcoholics. I think it's important to strike a balance in sobriety work. I'm still early in recovery so i'm working on training my brain and working on my innards to get them right. Once i have a solid foundation and i don't NEED to be preoccupied with sobriety work, i'll be able to cut back some. I think we all have our levels of need for sobriety work. Mine's different than many peoples as are my tools that i use. For me, it's AA meetings, talking to my sponsor, step work and SR. There are people who get sober just using meetings or SR! Some use still other techniques. I guess what i'm basically saying is that you're the final authority on how much is too much and how much isn't enough. Instead of being preoccupied over whether 7 meetings a week is too much or if 2 meetings a week isn't enough, gauge what's appropriate for you by concentrating on what it takes to keep you sober and content. If you're feeling discontent with how much time you're putting into sobriety work, try scaling back. Then see what you end up doing with your time. Is it more important than sobriety work? Does it make you happy and content? Those are questions only you can answer. Talk to your sponsor too and het their opinion. Sometimes my brain wants to get lazy and that's dangerous for me because it leads to discontent and anxiety. Good luck on figuring it out. You're the only one who knows the real answer!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

yeah, if it's stopping you from doing something that needs to be done, you may want to look into why you are doing that in sobriety....

otherwise, for me, without sobriety I have nothing else....I have to stay stopped, it's no longer a choice
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This one is easy

I was told when I was new to go to 7 AA meetings a week. Then cut back on 1 meeting a week until I got drunk.
I got the message and go to 7 meetings a week since December 1994.
Guess what? I am still sober and all the other **** I used to think was so important while I could not stay sober seems to not be a problem.
Many who read this are probably smarter than me. Listen to them. Try the easier softer way and report back on how that works.