SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How long to continue campral and naltrexone treatment? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/300751-how-long-continue-campral-naltrexone-treatment.html)

jwbm2013 07-12-2013 03:42 PM

How long to continue campral and naltrexone treatment?

I now have about 6 months of absolute sobriety - I haven't been counting the days or weeks, so im not sure exactly, but i would estimate it to be that long...

During this time I have been taking Campral, which i take as 3x 333mg in the morning and 3x 333mg tablets in the evening, aswell as half of a 50mg naltrexone tablet daily.

I have also been prescribed beta blockers, as 80mg bedranol which i take one tablet daily - this is for severe anxiety symptoms which i have experienced since quitting...

Im curious how long the standard campral/naltrexone treatment lasts?

I would obviously prefer not to take anything, but i am also quite nervous about stopping these meds due to my history of constant relapse

Anna 07-12-2013 05:04 PM

That's a good question to put forth to your dr.

MIRecovery 07-12-2013 05:38 PM

Cant speak to naltrox but campril I weaned myself off from over 1,5 year. Never was sure it did anything but I did not want to take any chances. my doc was fine with my plan

Nattythreads 07-12-2013 05:46 PM

Really depends on the individual. Ask your doctor. Neither of them stopped me relapsing. The only thing that worked for me was when I decided to stop relapsing.

jwbm2013 07-12-2013 05:56 PM

Lol I know what you mean..

During my frequent relapses I was still taking these meds here and there, but it wasn't until I finally decided I was done that I made any progress... Although I do wonder if maybe the campral is taking an edge off that might make it slightly more difficult without it... I know nal definitely changed how I experienced alcohol no doubt

I'm happy to stay on the beta blockers for a while since I only got them last week and they are really helping with the panic attacks, but if I don't need to be taking all those other tabletsobviously id rather not..

Maybe il just wait until I have a year and then speak to the doc, as I know what he's like and he will just have it on repeat from now until the end of time unless I too to him about stopping

Nattythreads 07-12-2013 06:07 PM

They won't do you any harm mate but in my experience-which I won't bore you with- don't let anything become a psychological barrier/crutch between you and the fact that you just don't drink.

I've tried them all. At one point I was taking thirty-odd supposedly anti-craving vitamin supplements/pills. Anything to get out of doing the hard work myself:)

Obviously your beta blockers are a separate issue. But as far as anti-craving stuff goes, I've found the best defense is my own willingness not to pick up whatever the situation.