Notices

What should i do about trip

Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What should i do about trip

Im brand new. On day 0.5. Just joined, thinking about an aa or celebration recovery meeting. Next week im supposed to go on a mission trip out of the country but they drink every night. Dont want to leave them hanging but also need to get better and dont know if i can handle it. Plus lots of personal probs right nowthat i need to deal with. Not sure if staying here or a trip away would be more helpful. But i do know i need to focus on fixing my drinking prob. Any advice?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know best whether or not you will manage the trip without drinking.
I had to miss out a quite a few work functions, friends' parties etc. in the beginning because I knew for certain that I wasn't strong enough to abstain at that stage. Later on I was able to, but I always make sure I can leave as soon as I feel the need to, I doubt I would have coped being stuck away on a trip with alcohol present!

Good luck
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I relapsed after three weeks when I went on a trip. Doesn't have to be that way but in hindsight I should have known it was risky. This time around I'm not taking any chances until I have at least three months under my belt - and I'm talking even a weekend away, camping, concerts etc, anything where people around me are going to be drinking and I'll be feeling sorry for myself cause I'm not. I know I'd wind up boozing in those circumstances.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. And this detoxing has been the worst and just cant do it again...
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you're having doubts, I wouldn't go. Simple as that. This early in your recovery, you need to ensure that all the odds are stacked in your favor for success. It sounds like this trip would definitely pressure you to return to your old habits, and I sincerely doubt you're equipped at this point to handle those pressures. I know I wasn't at 2 weeks. Put yourself and your sobriety first! It's the only way forward.
Best of luck on your journey.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I say don't go. Nothing is more important than your sobriety. Nothing.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

for some it is even a sin

Originally Posted by Allison10 View Post

Next week im supposed to go on a mission trip out of the country but they drink every night.

Any advice?
that's unusual

a mission trip where they drink every night

all mature children of God should understand that

not all can or should drink alcohol

and

for some it is even a sin to drink booze

Mountainman
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you have the option not to go on the trip, stay home and look after yourself if you are serious about your detox and quitting drinking. You do not need (and probably won't be able to handle) the stress of being in that situation so early in your quit. I am not trying to be negative, but on the occasions when I have gone ahead to events or trips thinking 'Hey I can do this, I am strong and I do not have to drink' I end up relapsing. For me I think I am secretly searching for an excuse to start drinking again. Weigh your options carefully and be gentle to yourself right now.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally I WOULD NOT go for many reasons you will probably disagree with + some. At this point in our not drinking THOUGHTS our brain cells are not functioning properly because of long term poisoning, we need much more than " thinking about AN aa or celebration recovery meeting", and we need to have a huge amount of info about the problem we have and how to handle situations as they arise. There are too many out there who are "act as ifs" = everything is wonderful, and we see the results in all the relapse messages. I know I'm hard but with what I've seen and experienced with 30+ years in AA I tell it the way I see it. BE WELL
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For me the penny dropped when I made the decision to face my 'demons' sober, and with all my faculties intact. Time to find some Big Boy Pants and put em on. I soon appreciated that my demons were caused by my drinking, not relieved by them. I was resolved to never drink again, no matter what. To be insecure and unsure of myself was just allowing the door to drinking again to remain open, when I needed to close it, lock it, and throw away the key.

Your mileage may vary, and you will need to find your own way forward. I wish you well whatever you decide to do.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're on a "mission" right now. That is to get into recovery and stay in recovery. This mission trumps all the others. What kind of a "mission" would it be if you were to relapse? What good would that do anybody? Let go of this "mission" where the "missionaries" drink all evening! The last thing this world needs is drunken missionaries! And if you were to relapse while undertaking "missionary" responsibilities what impression would that create on people you wanted to help?

W.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The only thing u have to do is stay sober everything else is optional
Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

they are medical professionals that have some beers at night. not boozing it up or being inappropriate or anything... and not everyone does.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

freststart57 - your message really spoke to me and how I need to be thinking. I wanted just 1 beer last night to take the edge off of the withdrawal symptoms, but read your msg and left and pushed thru. time to put my big girl pants on and do this once and for all!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Surrendering to alcohol can be the start of a wonderful journey in life if we let it happen and do some work on ourselves. The "workbooks" are here, AA and other sources. As stated it starts with self honesty. BE WELL
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LDT

Since you asked, I'd vote NO on the mission trip as well. It's way too early. Even if you weren't having withdrawals, I would recommend the same. There will be plenty of opportunities for mission work in the future. Take care of yourself NOW so that you will be able to give back when those opportunities come back around.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey! This is a medical mission? I vote NO DON'T GO! What, on the other hand, you make a medication error, or a procedural error due to intoxication or detoxing. Sounds dangerous to the people? You are trying to help on the mission, really not far to them or yourself. Stay home get well, I'm sure there will be more missions in your future once you are clean and sober for awhile. Why don't you think of the ones you serve, what would they vote???
Just a thought, hugs and positive thoughts, Twofish
Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thus - God has healed them

Originally Posted by Twofish View Post

Stay home get well, I'm sure there will be more missions in your future once you are clean and sober for awhile
true may be a little to soon to be testing the waters

Mountainman