Notices

Hello!

Old 07-12-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Whew! I think I am ready for sobriety. I have used alcohol as a crutch for far too long. I am 40 years old and have gone from probably a 3-4 beer a day guy in my early 30's to where I am at now where I drink every day (most days twice). I will have the equivalent of 8-12 beers with lunch and go out about 4 nights a week for another 8-10 beers.

I have kidded myself that they are "only" light beers. But the truth is I am now 275 pounds with high blood pressure. I have a controlled disease called hemochromatosis that already puts my liver at risk. I drink to escape a life that really isn't that bad. I work, sleep, and drink. I have very little energy to do anything else.

I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago for a week and had no withdrawal symptoms. My BP went down a ton. Can't really say why I started back up.

I do not drink at home. I live alone with 3 cats. I go out to drink and be social. This is very expensive! I probably spend in excess of $1,000 a month going out.

My concern is what am I going to do if I don't go out to bars? I know I could just drink soda. I have done that before, but I need to find and settle into a new routine. I hope my body is not too dependent on the alcohol and I can kick this awful habit!

God Bless you all!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please don't automatically dismiss this thought that has worked for 75 years for millions. AA! Around me there are easily 5 meetings a day, you'll probably meet some bar room friends who disappeared from the bar scene and others you probably know, you can learn how not to drink first hand at a flesh meeting and get #s from people willing to help. That's a starter. Next is the ALL important matter of getting mentally and physically repaired. Also I'll say that keep reading on these forums helps a lot as we see ideas, good I hope, and will identify with peoples experiences. BE WELL
Old 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello

Nice first post, dude - you laid it all out! My whole life was built around using (booze and coke) and like a lot of people here I was scared about the social impact of quitting.

There's a million things you can do instead of drinking, and almost all of them are healthier. I got into exercise (just walking and biking are a good start if you're heavy/high BP) and most places have groups of both that like new people to join. There's a ton of company right there

As for energy, you're going to have a crazy amount of it once you get past the first stages. But be prepared for worse withdrawals than last time - two years of daytime drinking will take it's toll on anyone. Don't be scared or put off, just be ready. Keep posting here - most of us have been through it.

I didn't go to AA, although I know a lot of people get strength from it. Maybe read around a bit and decide on what works for you.

And keep posting. I know I already said that one, but it really works!

xxx
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Baseballfan. I found a lot of informative info on SR and I know you will find helpful posts from the past about what to expect from quitting, and there will always be advise to seek medical attention if you have any withdrawal issues.

You can take that $1k each month and put it towards learning new and fun things with people who do not do self defeating things like getting drunk. You could even get counseling with that if you thought it would be helpful to you.

It sounds like your health is in need of sobriety, too. A lot of people get sober for that reason. You will find lots of support and wisdome here.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

I always used going to the bars as my social scene as well. In just few weeks I've found that there are plenty of options to go be social, not drop the money on the booze, and have a good time, all while being sober! AA being one of them. While I have been to one of my local hangouts a few times and stayed sober, it's just not the same... And most of the people there have become annoying. Our local half marathon training starts this week, so that means I'll be knee-deep in sober social activity.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking was my biggest interest/hobby. I really had no idea what the heck to do with myself because I had no idea who I really was without alcohol. I envy those who are able to just jump into activity and life from the get go. It's been a slower process for me. I've been somewhat slothful...a lot...BUT...slowly new things, likes, interests....life itself is starting to creep into my reality.

I'm here at SR... a lot. I read. I eat...lol. Went to a concert (sober) this weekend. Movies. I have lots on my bucket list...but I'll get round to those things eventually. I'm doing a whole lotta hanging out with me...full senses, full emotions...full on. It's exhausting sometimes : )
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a very supportive place.