Notices

~~ There are consequenses for drinking ....

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hippie Rock~n~Roller

thank you Oak and misterritter, for me just having it out there in the open, like a wound, gives it a little light of the day and maybe allows it to heal. I have hidden this away like an unwanted tumor for 28 years and the only people who know about it are my immediate family and my very trusted friends. They have gotten used to New Years Eve when I would be fine most of the day and then descend into tears and sorrow before the night was over year after year. I am not looking for redemption here nor can there ever be any. I just wanted to put out there how selfish this demon is, as I have experienced it. I just want to be fully me so that as I go forward, I am not hiding the ugly from the light........... not sure that even makes sense.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

KittyH, thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think you both were young, experienced horrible loss of someone you loved, and blame yourselves when it was not your fault. Somehow because you were upset and angry when these awful events happened you feel responsible. I truly believe endings are in God's hands, no matter what the circumstances.

I'm glad you were able to share to get it out and take a step towards healing. I believe we carry those we have lost with us along life's journey, and will see them again someday. Peace.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by KittyH View Post
~~ Okay I feel like if I am ever going to fully reap the benefits of being here then I need to confess my "bottom". It should have been the end of drinking for good but it only led to a long long binge.

On December 31 1985 I killed my newborn daughter........ or so I feel and have NEVER had a day since that I dont feel that way.

It was New Years Eve obviously. I had my son who was 2 and my month and a half daughter. I was living with my mother and step dad.... father to me as far as I am concerned.

I wanted to go out with my cousin for New Years Eve but I didnt dare leave my daughter at home with my Mom because her (my daughter)s heart had stopped once for 15 seconds and she was taken to the hospital and they gave us a velcro heart monitor for her. I was just 22 at the time and being incredibly selfish. It was New Years Eve and I wanted to go out..... thats all, thats the long and the short of it. Anyway, I had resigned myself to staying home but I was pissed. She was having trouble falling asleep and I was just annoyed. I put her across my knees on a pillow and lightly bounced her to sleep. Then I put her down for the night and put the heart monitor on her. Some time around 2 am I awoke with a start in the dark and felt the need to get up and check her. She was cold. When I turned on the light she was blue. I started to freak out but I did the infant CPR that they had taught me. She wasnt responding so I woke up my parents and we called the paramedics. They arrived at the house pretty quickly and I was still doing CPR but they said that she had been gone for hours. Her DOD is listed as New Years Eve. THAT has been hanging over my head for MANY years now. I question myself ALL the time of whether I hooked it up properly because I was distracted with MY OWN SELFISH DESIRES !!! It never went off. I know this for sure because the thing was VERY loud when they tested if for me.
It was ME who let her go in the middle of the night alone because I just HAD to go out drinking........... it doesnt matter that I didnt go because she is gone now anyway. What kind of creature lets that happen ?????? I have never let myself forgive what I did because I lost my child and that is unforgivable.

NOW you know the real me and NOW you can judge my uselessness on this planet
That is horrible! I am so sorry for your loss and your experience. Its a true testament to you character and soul that you are here and trying to make a change for the better. I always want people to be a success, but I REALLY want you to be a huge success because you deserve to be happy and healthy. I know loss can seem like the end of the world, and it sure feels that way, but you can kick this thing and get better. You had no way of knowing that would happen that night and I do not think it was your fault. I know my words are not enough to heal your aching soul, but I sure wish they were. In the aftermath of a death, we all ask what if, why, and feel a sense of guilt. I know my parents went through a horrible 5 years after my sister passed from cancer. We didnt know she wouldn't make it, I always thought she just would. Death has a way of removing the blinders so many people seem to wear through out life. I want so much for you to forgive yourself and to get sober, because I feel horrible you are walking around on a daily basis with this in your head. Her memory will never die, but your guilt and shame needs to be put to rest. You can do that through recovery, but it will take time and work. Of all the stories I have read on here, yours touches me the most. Please stay updating on the forum and thank you for sharing your story.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Kitty, I can't imagine how much pain you have been through over this. The loss of a child is the worst pain in this life and, like others have said, I am truly inspired by your strength and resilience. This was not your fault!

You feel guilty because you didn't want to stay home on New Years Eve that night (like most young women) and you were resenting the situation (like many new mothers who are harried and overwhelmed with care taking), and when your daughter passed from SIDS (which is an all-too-common event, sadly), you are blaming yourself. I have spoken with other mothers whose babies didn't make it from SIDS or complications from premature birth or other things and they all feel the same way. ALL of them blame themselves because, to be a mother is to have guilt. A mother feels her #1 job is to protect her babies and if she can't always do that, then she has failed. But this is simply not true. How could it be true? Mothers cannot play god, we can only do what we can do.

I know you have held your feelings inside all this time, but it might help to finally start reaching out so you can get some closure. Posting about it here is a good start. Once you start to confront these feelings sober, you will heal. I think it would be healing for you to also talk with other women who have had similar experiences. There are online mothers' forums (there is a grief and loss forum on Mothering.com: Pregnancy, Babies, Natural Family Living, and More) and maybe there are IRL support groups in your area. I think by sharing your story with other mothers who have experienced loss, you will be able to see that you are not alone.

And... you are a GOOD mom (just ask your kids, they love you!)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i'm so sorry for what you've been through, but I really don't think it was because of you!! just because you were in a mood, doesn't mean you did anything wrong. hang in there and good luck.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Thank you for sharing your story, I hope you can find a way to forgive yourself. You are not to blame!!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hippie Rock~n~Roller

Good morning, I want to thank you all so very much for all the support. I am over whelmed by it and grateful for it. You are all so kind to say these things. I am very hopeful today. I want to make my 24 hour goal and get started on a life of sobriety so my fingers are crossed and I feel light of heart today. Thank you all again !!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KittyH View Post
Good morning, I want to thank you all so very much for all the support. I am over whelmed by it and grateful for it. You are all so kind to say these things. I am very hopeful today. I want to make my 24 hour goal and get started on a life of sobriety so my fingers are crossed and I feel light of heart today. Thank you all again !!

Do it! We are here for you!!