Notices

Day 1... Just another introduction

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1... Just another introduction

So here I am, apparently... I am not really sure where to begin. I guess with the basics. I had my last drink last night and as usual that 3 or 4 shots turned into my drinking a entire fifth of vodka. If I buy a 1/2 gallon the entire bottle is gone in 2 days.

This morning was different than all the morning-afters before. It's like I see things differently. I don't want to feel ashamed and guilt-ridden every morning when I wake up. I have a feeling that I can really do it this time and if I do have a slip up, even though I will do everything in my power to keep that from happening, there is always the option of dusting myself off and starting again from scratch.

My drinking started when I was in my 20's having had anxiety as long as I can remember. I self medicated I guess you can say. So about 15 years of drinking total. It became a problem in 2005 when I went though Hurricane Katrina. The past couple of years it has become completely unacceptable. I find myself blacking out and not remembering most of the previous day. The guilt I have makes me stay in my room because I do not want to see anyone because the shame is completely overwhelming.

I have lost relationships, family members, jobs and much more because of drinking. I am tired of it taking control of my life. I want MY control back. So, here I am feeling very confident that I can do this and hopefully, it will one day be a distant memory and a valuable lesson learned. I have learned that I can not simply cut back as I have NO self control when it comes to alcohol. The only way is complete and total abstinence.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all and have really enjoyed reading previous posts. It looks like I have found a great place for support, as I don't really have anyone that I can talk to about this kind of thing. Needless to say I am very appreciative to be here with people who understand.

Anyway, enough said... Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Welcome StartinANewLife ,

I have NO self control with alcohol either

On day 1

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and if I do have a slip up, even though I will do everything in my power to keep that from happening, there is always the option of dusting myself off and starting again from scratch./

Welcome! I think I felt much the same way you did the day I woke up with my last hangover. I made a decision I felt fairly confident about.

I quoted you above because I couldn't think of the future...any future relapse. My thinking stopped at "what will I do when I want to drink?". I made a list of alternatives to refer to if overwhelmed by the desire to drink. I'm 5 weeks in and haven't had to look at it yet.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome StartinANewLife

the fact is - everyone can have that last day one - you can make this yours, absolutely

D
Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and to a better sober life. We're here to listen and support you. You can do this!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, as the old saying goes the longest journey begins with the first step.
Keep tuned in here and maybe find some supportive people out side in a group of some sort who can help you maintain your sobriety.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome... Day 2 begins. I got this!! ;-)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're ready, Start. Welcome!

Junegirl