Notices

Need help for my sister

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help for my sister

Hi,
I quit drinking about a month ago, I woke up and realized that I really wanted to quit. My problem now is my sister. She is really bad, angry at the world and drinking in secret starting as early as 10 am to get rid of the shakes from the night before.
She has recently moved back in with my mother and my mother is very worried to the point of being sick. We are afraid she will drink herself to death. I want to confront her but don't know if it's a good idea. AA sais I shouldn't, that she needs to want to quit. I don't think she will ever want to. I thought of writing her a kind letter saying I love her and that I'm here for her. She never leaves the house, doesn't shower much, smells of rotten grapes and doesn't eat.
Please help me figure out what to do. Please don't tell me that she needs to hit rock bottom, because I think for her that would mean death.
Thank you,
c
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tough situation if she doesn't want help. Being there for her is about all you can do, and I'm not in AA, but to me the letter might get her to open up about why she wants to stay drunk all the time.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Whipster!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sister tried to talk to me for years. I could hear what she was saying and secretly agreed but I brushed her off and gave her the whole I've got it under control blah blah blah. I knew she was right and I would convince myself everytime that this time I would get it under control. I tried and failed miserably every time. It wasn't until I was honest with myself and admitted I needed help and couldnt fight this alone that I started to move forward. You probably know this better than anyone, Congratulations on a month!! Hopefully your sister will see how well you are doing and follow suit.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sending her a nice letter might be a good idea. Let you know you love and support her and are worried about her.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So I sent her the letter. As I expected she is mad at me. I will give it some time and hopefully she will think about it ad forgive me and realize that I am only trying to help her. I hope the letter will make her think about the problem and she comes to me for help.