Notices

Alcohol and Obesity

Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Obesity

Is anyone else concerned about this. I have a good bit of weight I need to lose and after my recent relapse I have come to the conclusion that any significant weight loss will be near impossible without quitting drinking, as it's so packed with calories and causes for me at least a massive increase in appetite. This is yet another reason to quit. Do you agree?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have lost almost 20 pounds in less than a month. I figure I was drinking 1000+ calories per day extra, and now without that load, the weight is falling off my beer belly nicely.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went from 11 stone to 15 in 3 years of drinking. It's a killer for the weight. Another reason to quit
Old 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yes....when I quit 71 days ago, I had 100 pounds to lose. Way too much wine calories for too many years. I have lost about 18 pounds since quitting, but a ways to go.

Booze would have killed me eventually...either if not by destroying my liver, I was setting myself up nicely for a heart attack or stroke.

So glad I quit and am on my way to a healthier body. Best of luck with your sobriety!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've lost 7 pounds since I quit drinking and I wasn't even trying.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I lost 18 pounds since I quit drinking at the end of January. I've read that just 8 oz of alcohol can slow down your ability to metabolize fat by up to 73%.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Between all the calories in liquor and the late night fast food splurges my weight was ballooning quick. Since I quit drinking April 3, I have been able to stick to a consistent exercise and diet schedule and managed to lose 30 pounds in 3+ months...Alcohol sabotages any chance of living healthy.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

sounds like an awesome plan! I wish you well on your journey!!!

hugs to you!

Love,
~SB
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnwFlower View Post
Absolutely. I lost 18 pounds since I quit drinking at the end of January. I've read that just 8 oz of alcohol can slow down your ability to metabolize fat by up to 73%.
Even worse. 73% is the average decrease after just 24 GRAMS of alcohol (Siler, Neese, & Hellerstein, 1999). That's too small to even feel, but still changes your metabolism.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah this is a big deal for me, too. My month of steadily increasing drinking (after not drinking for 5 mos.) was a driving factor in tacking on 15 unnecessary pounds. It's a triple whammy. You've got the booze calories, the inevitable munchies that come with being drunk and the inability to exercise while hung over. Bad combination. Very very bad.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same thing for me. Even when I skipped dinner before drinking I ended up plundering the fridge later just before crashing for the night. Weight loss is a major motivation for me at the moment.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm in the weight loss business. I stuck to a pretty extreme diet in order to keep my weight down...AND drink. I been eating like truck driver lately..haven't gained a pound..
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sz 12 to size 8 since Jan 25
Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have lost 20 pounds since I quit. I am overweight so it a small dent but I can feel the difference in my clothing and my energy level. I have a long way to go on both my sobriety and my weight.

I am taking both of them one day at time. It is not a race for me. It took me a long time to get fat and it took me a long time to want help for my alcoholism.

The weight loss is a plus and it helps my self-esteem but I am not going to start jogging tomorrow. I may start an exercise program down the road but my mind right now is on my mind, not my body, and for me that is what I can handle right now.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sober and sometimes I crave sugar but I noticed I still maintain a healthy weight with a little exercise and decent eating the rest of the time. Alcohol made me really puffy and when I see old pictures of myself I laugh. My sister told me, referring to my passport picture from years back, "oh wow you look like fat Jim Morrison there! Right at the end of his career!"

Yikes. Glad I can confidently say I don't look like I'm carrying around 10lbs of bloat anymore. And I FEEL much better. More energy. Less achy and lethargic. Quitting helps with a lot of things in life that's for sure!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes! Alcohol causes weight gain and bloating. Toward the end of my drinking career, I wasn't fitting into my clothes anymore (I was drunk and living in sweatpants, hot!!). Over the last month, I've probably lost 10 lbs (though I haven't weighed), but my clothes fit again! I have more energy. I've been swimming every day and today I'm going for a hike!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel like such a mood breaker. Thats amazing everyone lost weight. When I was in my depths of drinking (3months sober now) I didnt eat. I just drank. I have gained 20 pounds because I am eating Proper healthy 3 meals a day now.
I dont care much though, id rather be 20 LB heavier and sober then 20 LB less and drunk everywhere all the time.