Notices

paxil and intense cravings for alcohol in the non-alcoholic

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

paxil and intense cravings for alcohol in the non-alcoholic

I am searching for anyone who has taken paxil, alcoholic or not, and experienced intense cravings for alcohol and acted on those cravings.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd suggest asking your doctor instead of getting an answer not suited to your situation. BE WELL
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree - talking with whomever prescribed the Paxil for you would be the best route to take. Especially since drinking alcohol in combination with Paxil, or any drug can be dangerous.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took Paxil for many years and I had no cravings for alcohol. My issues with alcohol developed 12 years after starting Paxil. I don't believe Paxil is the cause my drinking issues.

But that's just my experience; you should do as others have advised and talk with your Doctor and perhaps read any recent research. I'd be wary of anecdotal evidence you may find online or elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
I am searching for anyone who has taken paxil, alcoholic or not, and experienced intense cravings for alcohol and acted on those cravings.
I had that on Ritalin. Everything went back to normal when I switched back to Adderall.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

alcohol and paxil

Thank you all for your responses. I am aware of the side effects of Paxil and even of the lesser known side effect of Paxil causing intense cravings for alcohol. What I am looking for is someone who has experienced that particularly side effect. This appears to be a rare occurrence, but I am desperately looking for someone who can attest to it happening to them.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

This appears to be a rare occurrence, but I am desperately looking for someone who can attest to it happening to them.
If it is a rare occurrence and you do find someone who has experienced it what does that mean?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

paxil and intense cravings for alcohol.

What it means may be 25 years of my sons life. I know that there have been class action lawsuits against the company that makes paxil, but current lawsuits are related to paxil and birth defects. I need confirmation from others who have experienced this reaction.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was on paxil and immediately my drinking increased. I'm not sure if it had to do with the drug or not as I had switched from a night-shift job to a day-shift job meaning I could drink at night after work. I have googled it myself before, but not sure if there is a direct correlation.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What it means may be 25 years of my sons life. I know that there have been class action lawsuits against the company that makes paxil, but current lawsuits are related to paxil and birth defects. I need confirmation from others who have experienced this reaction.
That's a tricky issue. Dr Peter Brennig a U.S. psychiatrist and author has acted as witness re many alleged drug interactions resulting from anti depressants and benzodiazepines in cases against drug companies. Perhaps you could check him out.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you are pursuing legal action against a major pharmaceutical company, I'd suggest an attorney rather than an anonymous addiction/recovery website. If you are here to seek support for your addiction you have found the right place
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I drank 4 nights a week while taking paxil. It doubled my tolerance. I could drink and drink without being drunk.. It was very bad.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

paxil and alcohol cravings

Hi Scott, I am not seeking legal action against a drug company, although it has certainly entered my mind. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for the info Murchovski. I will definitely check this doctor out. Kind of you to respond.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wastinglife - Thank you for your response. Hard to know what caused what in your case, but I wouldn't rule out the Paxil. If you are still mixing the two (paxil and alcohol), I would be very cautious due to severe liver damage warnings. Best of luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Britt, I thank you for your response and I am especially interested in your response. Any chance we could exchange emails? I don't know how things work on this site - not sure I should post my email address here??? Mostly, huge congrats on your year of sobriety and your future plans. You apparently have really turned your life around! Be Proud!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
iwh

hi!

i haven't bothered to read the responses here, ok lol about that now, but i have experience with paxil!

it's the only ongoing med i ever took. it was an experiment many years ago and i did it for one year.

first of all, it's awful to stop paxil. i found out i wasn't the only one who experienced when i saw people filed lawsuits over what happened to me too!

brain zaps! awful, so brace your self, but get off it.

also, over the years when ever i saw the word 'paxil' i'd read some and get the idea that Paxil is outdated and that many doctors prescribe more updated medicines for these things now. so, please consult your doctor about a more current medication or getting off it completely, for your health.

eventually, you need to trust & accept yourself. i don't think we can find this in pills or intoxication.

i wish i was better. i'm just offering some support even if i am less than wise.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
iwh

the above was not a good comment i made. use paxil if it works for you.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

...it seemed both cravings and tolerance went up when i was on anti-anxiety (celexa, then lexapro).

I just weaned myself off lex and going to see how it goes...
Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

paxil and alcohol cravings

IWH - thank you for the info. Could you tell me about "brain zaps"? I am doing this research for my son. He was started on Paxil and 2 weeks later he drank himself almost to death. He doesn't have any history of alcoholism, but I have since discovered that paxil can cause intense cravings for alcohol in non-alcoholics as well as alcoholics. I have been looking for others who have had similar experiences. I know that many people can take the medication and not experience any or just small side effects. Anything you can tell me would help. Thanks again.