Notices

100 Days - Positivity, Self-Esteem & Others

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just got off the phone with my husband... I just asked him, point blank, if he would support me getting my MFA... he mentioned money... and said if the money is there for it, sure... he supports me 100%... so that is really all I needed to know... that I have his backing emotionally or whatever... he's on board
Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SoberJennie, 100 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey jennie ,
I'm right on it with you, it seems the addiction and escape has held us in the dark ages for long enough. I couldn't see the wood for the trees in the fog as its called. I too feel alot of negativity and rigid ness from people. I was thinking how much of life I can get if I be more positive. Congrats on the big hundred , that's excellent!!
Peace :-)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Congrats on 100 days, Jennie! That's wonderful! So good also that your husband supports you getting your MFA.

I know what you mean about people not seeing online writing as work. I also write online for a living and when people ask what I do, they look at me like I'm speaking Mandarin when I try to explain it to them.

Also, my mother keeps saying to me that I haven't worked for 3 years. As you said, writing is work. Sigh.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
I know what you mean about people not seeing online writing as work. I also write online for a living and when people ask what I do, they look at me like I'm speaking Mandarin when I try to explain it to them.

Also, my mother keeps saying to me that I haven't worked for 3 years. As you said, writing is work. Sigh.
Exactly! Haha. The looks on their faces... yeah, I know exactly this look
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a big believer in dream following Jennie - go for it.

D
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 100 days, I look forward to that number myself.

As to going back to school, it doesn't sound like you need any encouragement but I thought I'd throw in my experience. A couple of years ago, I went back to college to do a second degree about 15 years after the first one. It has been great, though not always easy, and I am so happy that I did it. One more semester until i graduate and I am going to miss it. I hope you enjoy it as much as i have.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misterritter View Post
A couple of years ago, I went back to college to do a second degree about 15 years after the first one. It has been great, though not always easy, and I am so happy that I did it. One more semester until i graduate and I am going to miss it. I hope you enjoy it as much as i have.
Hey, that is very encouraging to hear! And congrats to you on your upcoming graduation... that is just awesome Can you tell me what your biggest fears were going into it... and some things you've learned about yourself since?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great work, 100 days is fantastic. I have chased a few dreams, some have worked out, others not so much. Had I not done my dream chasing I would have always wondered "what if"...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nice work on the 100 days!

Sounds like your family/support group might just be anxious about your life choices (my close circle certainly was VERY eggshellish when I began to throw career moves and lifestyle choices around).

I think my simple advice would be to see if you can shrug off that frustration. You can do whatever you want, professionally! Nobody's going to stop you, nobody's going to take away your computer or something crazy. So what if nobody's standing up and cheering - those close to you in support positions might feel these are delicate times and not want to weigh in too much. Remember where you just came from. There's a natural nervousness that brews in your support group when you announce some "get back on the horse" type of news.

You are well on your way to shaking this off, I think, and not over-complicating it. You want to publish something on line? Start working on that website! Good luck.

Congrats again on 100!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats on 100 days!!! WOW!! MFA is Master of Fine Arts right? That sounds awesome! I'm working on my finishing my BS degree (I have an AS now), at age 47! Something I've always wanted to achieve. You can do it!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
Congrats on 100 days!!! WOW!! MFA is Master of Fine Arts right? That sounds awesome! I'm working on my finishing my BS degree (I have an AS now), at age 47! Something I've always wanted to achieve. You can do it!
Yep. Master of Fine Arts. I have BAs in Philosophy and Psychology. Graduated from college in 1999, age 23.

Congrats on getting your BS Which field?

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Jennie,
I think that you must follow your heart on this one. You are an educated, very smart, talented woman that deserves to make her dreams become a reality. I think that getting your MFA is powerful. I support you 500%. I recently started a BA program, and it has improved many areas of my life. Its the best decision I have made. Go for it!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Yep. Master of Fine Arts. I have BAs in Philosophy and Psychology. Graduated from college in 1999, age 23.

Congrats on getting your BS Which field?

Health Informatics. It's a combo of health information management and IT. I've been in radiology as an x-ray and ultrasound tech for 20 years, ready to move on!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on 100 days! You are Awesome Jennie!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 100 days! You are an inspiration!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Night owl

Congratulations on 100 days! And on deciding to follow your dreams, that is really what recovery is all about after all. Getting our lives back so that we can dream and make those dreams into reality!

I enjoy reading your posts and imagine you would be a great writer! It inspires me to think beyond my limitations, too. I also want to write though haven't invested anything into it. So, who knows......
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Congratulations on the 100 days .

For me having ambition and dreams is all very well insofar as it dosn't effect my serenity and contentment , certainly for this alcoholic having high hopes and ideals was one of my problems .

I don't build my happiness in life upon anything in the future as it dosn't exist , what i have now is key .

I'd say steady as you go , don't burden yourself too much, build a real solid foundation in sobriety .

Plan what you want to do and work it step by step

Bestwishes, m
Mechanix.... This rings so true. I needed this reminder. Thanks those high hopes and ideals were all wrapped up in reasons I drank before, I'm sure of it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Appears I'm quite late to this thread. First off..congratulations on your first 100! That is absolutely spectacular.
Secondly, regarding the poster who says something about not taking classes regarding writing..you can or you can't. That's a bunch of freakin' malarky. One of my favourite authors Donald Miller wrote this absolutely hysterical chapter in one of his books about his experience with writing workshops etc. The man, IMHO, is a fabulous writer and he took classes. Professional singers work with vocal coaches.
In simple terms, you do whatever it takes to keep your "chops sharp".

And thirdly, when I first spoke to others about the dream of opening my current business...I got A LOT of push back from some people quite close to me. And I believe there were a variety of reasons for that. One in particular is simply a glass half empty kinda gal and I believe she thought she was doing me a favour with her negativity. I also believe it stirs up people's crap about their own unfulfilled or unchased dreams...the world is full of unsolicited advice and most of it...is crap.

So get writing and give yourself permission to write a helluva lot of shite first drafts. IMO, writing is very much about finding your own voice and is as cathartic for the writer as it is enjoyable for the reader...when we get it right.

Just do it.
(and p.s. I highly recommend Bird by Bird by Ann Lamotte for laughs and writing inspiration)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Lol Nuudawn... Malarkey, yeah I agree with you there. Writing is a craft. It can always be tweaked and perfected. Not a better way to do that than in an intensive workshop, and an MFA program is just that. Plus, I will have that nifty degree at the end of it all. Gotta love that!

Reading Bird By Bird now actually! I love her Great book for any writer.