Notices

quiting smoking

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quiting smoking

I'm I crazy to try to quit smoking in early sobriety? My thinking is I hate it and it makes me feel bad about myself. Day three of not drinking.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, of course.

For me, I realized drinking and smoking go together. I call it the drink&smoke. One goes with the other. Whenever I drank and had to smoke. Similarly, when I smoked, it made me want to drink. That's just me.

I'm in AA, and step one is to admit powerlessness over alcohol. In my head, I admit powerlessness to the drink&smoke--it's a better fit and seems to target my addiction more accurately.

I feel much better without either.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just had my first cigarette at work after telling myself I was going to quit. Drinking and smoking do go hand and hand. 3 days sober for me. I would like to here other peoples taken on how to quit both
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
Everyone is different, of course.

For me, I realized drinking and smoking go together. I call it the drink&smoke. One goes with the other. Whenever I drank and had to smoke. Similarly, when I smoked, it made me want to drink. That's just me.

I'm in AA, and step one is to admit powerlessness over alcohol. In my head, I admit powerlessness to the drink&smoke--it's a better fit and seems to target my addiction more accurately.

I feel much better without either.
That's perfect! And exactly my experience/feelings too. I felt I had no choice but to give up both at the same time. I recommend reading the Allan Carr books for quitting smoking but I'll admit to using nicotine replacement therapy for the first month or so. My body was in enough shock giving up drinking. But that book has a lot in there that changed my perception of addiction and it has helped me quit the booze too.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit smoking for 10 months and durning that time I had two stints at soberity then in May when I was faced with the challenge of not drinking I took to smoking as a way to cope, then I found myself drinking and smoking. Arrh!!

I have been sober 6 weeks now and since yesterday I'm taking on the challenge of quitting the fags again. It is hard but for me personally I want rid of both filthy habits.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I quit nicotine about 3 years ago cold turkey. I used smokeless tobacco ( chew ) but the end result is the same ( nicotine addiction ). I have to say quitting that was initially much harder for a few days, but after that it was nothing compared to how long it took me to give up drinking.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Whether one quits smoking along with alcohol depends on whether the want to be "clean" and sober or sober.