Notices

Rehab...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab...

Hi folks, I'm new here...

Can't actually believe that I'm going to type this as drinking has been a part of my life since about high school but I am coming to the realization that I can't control my drinking. Over the last few months I've noticed that it is taking more and more to achieve the same effect. I drink every day, but I'm not one who needs to get blasted every day, just get to that warm slightly buzzed state and I'm pretty content. Most of the time I'm by myself and tend not to drink in front of the wife or kids, I'll slip down the basement or wait til she's upstairs to slip in a shot or two of vodka with a beer or wine. Yea, I know, some pretty classic signs as I've found out while doing some research these last few weeks...

Yes, I've tried to take a day off, can't tell you how many Mondays I've said "This is the week!!" Let's go.... By 6:00 my head is spinning and anxiety waves through so it's back to a rum and diet coke...

I'm really thinking that the only choice I have now is to go to rehab, seems like jumping off the merry go round for a month is the best option. I'm currently laid off, which certainly didn't help this situation!!, so that is a viable option.

I would love to get opinions on rehab experiences and whether its better to do one close to home or travel to a nice place like Fl or CA...

Thanks for listening and appreciate any advice.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you've decided to seek support for your alcoholism.

I didn't go to rehab so I can't offer advice, but others will be along who have had that experience.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Realizing you have a problem and reaching out are huge steps. I have not been to rehab myself either, but I can tell you that if you read everything you can find here then you will find a ton of information and input from all types of drinkers. You will definitely find a lot that you can relate to and some of the posts will have you thinking that it could have been you that wrote them. So while you are waiting for responses from those with experiences closer to your own, I would suggest reading through the forums.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tryingtoreason,

I don't think I would be alive today if I had not gone to rehab. I needed the structured environment of absolutely no possiblity of alcohol for the three weeks I was there so that my brain and body could try to reach a somewhat normal, not clouded starting point. And then the group therapy, individual therapy and classes helped me realize my disconnect.
Getting out was exciting, until I got home and that is when the hard work started.
Rehab worked for me.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I needed rehab - 3 times. Sober now 6 years...

All 3 were close to home, though 2 were at a well-known center. The core of the treatment was the same - 12 step/AA based. The only difference was one is a lot more comfortable than the other.

There are advantages to staying close to home in that it can help stay better connected to the community. I made several close friends in treatment who remain close friends today. Those who came from farther away haven't stayed in contact.

I suppose there could be advantages to traveling somewhere as well. But I don't know what those would be.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!
We have some really nice rehab centers down here in Florida
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the reply's. How in the world did anyone ever admit this to their loved ones? The embarrassment and humiliation I feel at the very thought of having the talk with my wife is completely overwhelming....
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually just opened up to my wife last night. I was reading The Sobering Truth on my nook and my wife asked what I was reading. After a pause, I decided to be candid, told her I was reading a book about alcoholism, and that led to a conversation where I admitted a lot of the stupid things I'd done and the lies I had been telling myself and her. A lot was in the context of the typical questions on "Are you an alcoholic." I drink alone, I'd been drinking at lunch at work with coworkers, I've driven home buzzed with our kids, I've hidden booze in the garage so I can drink more without anyone knowing, I've bought back up six packs so I can replace the beers in the fridge when no one is looking so no one knows how many I've had to drink, etc.

Was it embarrassing? Yes. But I feel that much more resolve now that I'm accountable to my wife. She supports me and it is a relief to have it out there and know I'm not dealing with it alone. I say go for it!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was terrified to tell my family. But once I did, it made going through recovery a whole lot easier.
The most important thing in my recovery is to be honest. It sabotages my sobriety to keep secrets.
I don't go around telling people I am an alcoholic, but my close friends and family know.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR tryingtoreason

D
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tell my gf and family were the best things i did. Nobody was upset or disappointed just pleased I had eventually admitted and was seeking help
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Trying! It's great to have you here. Proud of you for taking charge of this situation and wanting a better life.

I didn't go to rehab either - so don't really know what to suggest there. My family, friends, and co-workers all knew I had a huge problem by the time I quit. So having 'the talk' wasn't even necessary. They were all so relieved when I said I was quitting. You're right - it takes more & more to achieve the same effect - and I was drinking all day in the end. I had to stop or die. I'm glad you're reaching out for help and a new life. I think it will help you to share your journey here.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by TryingtoReason View Post
Hi folks, I'm new here...

Can't actually believe that I'm going to type this as drinking has been a part of my life since about high school but I am coming to the realization that I can't control my drinking. Over the last few months I've noticed that it is taking more and more to achieve the same effect. I drink every day, but I'm not one who needs to get blasted every day, just get to that warm slightly buzzed state and I'm pretty content. Most of the time I'm by myself and tend not to drink in front of the wife or kids, I'll slip down the basement or wait til she's upstairs to slip in a shot or two of vodka with a beer or wine. Yea, I know, some pretty classic signs as I've found out while doing some research these last few weeks...

Yes, I've tried to take a day off, can't tell you how many Mondays I've said "This is the week!!" Let's go.... By 6:00 my head is spinning and anxiety waves through so it's back to a rum and diet coke...

I'm really thinking that the only choice I have now is to go to rehab, seems like jumping off the merry go round for a month is the best option. I'm currently laid off, which certainly didn't help this situation!!, so that is a viable option.

I would love to get opinions on rehab experiences and whether its better to do one close to home or travel to a nice place like Fl or CA...

Thanks for listening and appreciate any advice.
Admitting you have no control is the biggest and most powerful step in recovery, so be proud you are at that point. Now its time to make a plan, and go for it. Its a way better life, but like anything worth a damn, it takes time, work, and stepping out of your current comfort zone.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to rehab, it was bout 4 hours away from the place i was living at the time which was far enough so i stayed at rehab for a while.

The rehab i went to was 12 step based so i would recommend that as when you leave rehab you need support and a program of such which AA can offer more than any other support group in a community (well relating to alcoholism anyway).

I went to rehab because i went to AA and didn't click, i then went to rehab learned that i didn't need to click and about the 12 steps and have been sober since.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Still have not talked to wife at all about this, probably a good thing she is very busy at work... Just can't do it
Meeting with the Therapist on Monday that my wife and I went to marriage counseling years ago, she has a background in addiction as well. Calling my primary physician today to get an appt and get his opinion on how to proceed as well.

As for actually calling a treatment center or going to a meeting, not there yet.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Here are some rehab reviews: Drug Rehab Centers | Addiction Treatment | Rehab Reviews