Notices

Hello! 6 days sober!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello! 6 days sober!

So I'm 6 days sober. I am a binge drinker and I am used to consuming huge amounts of alcohol, to the point where I'm blackout drunk about 2-3 times a week. I've been doing this pretty regularly since I was 18 and I'm now 26.
I decided to quit for so many reasons...but mostly because I'm tired. So exhausted with everything.
Physically and emotionally this 8 year drinking stint has put my life to a grinding halt. Since I started drinking I have accomplished next to nothing in my life whereas I used to be a very driven and successful kid.
I also find myself following in my mother's footsteps and that really scares me!

Anywho, I've sort of been doing this week on my own. The first two days went fine (which is probably normal for a bi-weekly binge drinker) but I've been pretty depressed and anxious since. I haven't been to any AA meetings and I feel like I forget how to live soberly sometimes.
So that's me right now, nice to meet you all!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. Welcome to SR! 6 days is really awesome. One day at a time. There are many different recovery methods to choose from. Lifering, SMART, AA, SoberRecovery is a tool that I use, and I have found that it is perfect for my life right now. Welcome aboard. You do not have to be alone on this journey. I am happy that you found us.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm 10 days sober! At this point that's nothing special because I've definitely done it before...but obviously always relapsed. I too drink until blacking out regularly. It all starts out fine in a nice social situation or something similar, and ends up with me doing, well anything! I don't know most of the time because I can't remember. My fiancé has said he'll leave me if I keep on this path, it's quite hard to change though ad I've been doing it since around 16/17 (now 33) and its just got progressively worse. Other people around me do binge drink (it's almost socially acceptable in Australia) but I really do take it to another level. One drink, then two, then after that I usually don't care. I literally cannot stop when I start. I will keep drinking until I'm in oblivion. And it doesn't take more than a few hours as a wine drinker. It's got to the point where I'm an embarrassment. I can become aggressive and obnoxious.
I'm worried without alcohol I'll never have any fun again! Everyone will be having a great time enjoying a few drinks (as they can) and ill just be bored out of my mind, sober.
At this point I don't want to drink anymore and be that person, that's all I know. I'm over embarrassing myself. I just wish I could drink normally. I need to realise that I can't.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks Mizzuno, I didn't realize there were so many other recovery methods, I'll have to check those out.
And libby I definitely feel the same way! My fiance however, was my drinking partner except when I told him I wanted to stop he said that he did too so we're going to try it together. I'm really conflicted with ever seeing my friends again because all we do together is drink. Some of them suspected that I was having problems with drinking but in Canada binge drinking is normal too.
The hardest part for me right now is remembering what I did with all of this free time before. When I quit drinking I had a whole mental list of why I needed to quit but now it's hard to remember so I'm just trying to keep busy.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Congratulations on your 6 days, that's a real achievement. You'll be so happy you stuck with it. You'll probably go through some mood changes as your body adjusts, and you learn to cope with life without alcohol. Look after yourself, exercise and enjoy the mornings when you wake up without regrets for the night before.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep! My fiancé was my drinking partner too, but had a lot more self control and wouldn't get nearly as messy. The thing in scared of I'd becoming complacent, after a while thinking 'ohhhh, I'm ok. It's not that bad.' Then having one or two drinks here and there, then next time a bottle, then so on and so on, and eventually ending up exactly where I began.
As far as the friends go, they're not bad people, they're just not alcoholics. They can have huge (?) nights and kind of be fine, hold it together. Almost take it or leave it. Not so for me! I heard something really helpful which was to say to yourself, 'I'm just not having a drink, TODAY'. Personally I find it really overwhelming to think I might never have a drink again! So that kind of works...
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm worried about becoming complacent too as even now I can hear myself thinking up new ways to drink, but carefully. But I've been trying to plan my days so that I don't have time to drink. And have been super grateful lately for not waking up with a hangover!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarahaha View Post
I'm worried about becoming complacent too as even now I can hear myself thinking up new ways to drink, but carefully. But I've been trying to plan my days so that I don't have time to drink. And have been super grateful lately for not waking up with a hangover!
Still going strong??