Notices

Do I belong?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I belong?

Hi all,

A few questions. First, my story in a nutshell.

Pretty average life growing up, mom is crazy a lot of chaos. Been ****** up around food since I was about 16, party drinker since about that time, smoked a lot of weed for several years experimented with LSD shrooms hash and pain pills....my first real experice being ****** up was taking acid at school. The fourth time or so I did it, it was by myself in my bedroom when I was 16 after I got in a fight with my dad. BAD idea. Anyway. Drinking escalated but not so different from my friends, always abused it never just a drink or two. Almostyhe accidentally ODed on OxyContin, first try I cut up an 80mg pill and wasn't feel anything so took more and more and figured it was not working, until I had something to eat and I was ****** out of my mind. That made me give my head a shake.

Cue cocaine. I feel I was addicted before I ever tried it. Helped wih my ED cause I didn't have to eat. Anyway did it a few times recreationally /secretly in 2009, it quickly became all I wanted to do when I "went out". That eventually turned into "staying in". I had maybe used 6 or 7 times before I went to South America. I was fine for the first two months, but I remember being with this girl and saying I'd only go out that night (I had a flight at 6am the next morning) if we got coke. Anyway we found some, I found a local girl who knew someone, ended up getting ****** up in the bathroom all night and I went home with this girl and did whatever we had left. Mental obsession kicks in, I eventually meet some people in Colombia and we kill it for about a month solid.

Anyway I come home and it continues. I no longer hide it. I had four or five different friends that used, and if I had it I would do it in my bedroom by myself. I'd do it and clean the house. Id do it and workout.

I told my sister if she wanted to hangout that we were gonna be doing blow so it was up to her. Drinking escalated....I remember taking 4 shots of vodka and jumping in the car quick so I could get to the bar before it kicked in. Doing blow on random Wednesday nights in front of people. Cutting it up on a mirror in my car....pulling over into a coffee shop bathroom for another line (or who am I kidding, 2 or 3),'taking a few lines to sober me up so I could drive....etc. taking benzos (Valium) to help taper off cause I got real bad anxiety.

Anyway. I have been in recovery for an ED For 2 years and in aa for five months. The obsession with cocaine is loud and I still dream about it, think about it first thing in the morning, I fantasize about it. I sometimes start to wonder how I could get it, I would do it by myself or at work I don't care. It makes me feel so much better about everything.

But I haven't used in over 2 years. And i was actially able to stop. Am i an addict? do i belong in 12 step rooms? But the craving is still intense. Wtf do in do? I'm working the steps but this won't go away. I still fantasize about the people I used with and the things we did and man I just would feel so much better if I had a line to wake me up in the morning. I am a smart successful professional young woman. I'm not using but I'm obsessed.

I went to a CA meeting but feel like cause I only used for a year or two, that I'm not qualified to be there. Some of them are injection drug users. But I liked the meeting, I can relate more to addicts than alcoholics.

Anyway, I'm glad I got that all out there. Any advice is much appreciated!

JS

Forgive any typos I'm on my phone.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome JS. Don't know much about coke but I'd say any meetings, CA or AA that can get you through a day, go for it! One day at a time, that's all I can say.

Stay strong!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What does your sponsor say?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, JS. Thanks for posting and well done on 2+ years. If you enjoy the CA meetings and get something out of them, by all means keep going back. It's not how long we used our DOC for or how much of it we did that qualifies us, but what it did to us, our powerlessness over it and, most of all, our desire to stop using.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. When I post stuff like this I don't know what kind of answer I want or expect. It's like I want you to either tell me "yes you definitely have a problem" or "no get out of here!"

I don't know myself, that's a big part of the problem here. I'm looking for you to tell me who I am so that I can decide how I feel about myself. I know that's not your purpose.

Just saying.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My experience... if you found this site and you have to ask this question, then yes, there is a problem. A "normie" would never have found this site to begin with.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just read your story. Sorry...uh uh..no way am I gonna say "get outta here". IMHO, you definitely belong in recovery like the rest of us. You have a whole lot going on there inside precious you that you just might wanna get to the bottom of. Welcome.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a question, how long do you think someone has to take a substance before its considered an addiction? 1-2 years doesn't sound like recreational use. I've never done coke, and I'm no expert at anything, but the relationship you had/have with coke, and the way you describe your cravings sounds like an addiction serious enough that it needs addressing. If you liked the meeting, go back. I bet the people at your meeting who are/were IV users wish they had gotten help when they were just at the stage you're at. Good luck- hope that wasn't too blunt!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"The obsession with cocaine is loud and I still dream about it, think about it first thing in the morning, I fantasize about it. I sometimes start to wonder how I could get it, I would do it by myself or at work I don't care. It makes me feel so much better about everything."
You wonder if your an addict? And you go to AA and CA? Why? To admire the wall paintings or to participate in RECOVERY? "I am a smart successful professional young woman. I'm not using but I'm obsessed." Even not using it seems your under the influence of something that I refused to admit to myself when I first got to AA and is part of the second step. I wish you luck. I know I'm not soft and cuddly but at times I have a inner need to be blunt and honest. BE WELL
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I APPRECIATE the bluntness. Great point, am I going to 12 step meetings to admire the artwork? I told this to my sponsor when I first started in aa, that part if me felt like I just wanted to be in aa so I could "make friends", and she laughed and said there are LOTS of other things I could join. Touché.

I'm doing something strange in my head here. My mom always told me I was a hypochondriac, that something was always wrong with me....and like I remember when I was a kid and my friend broke her arm I made a fake cast out of paper and told people I broke my arm too. Am I just doing that with program? Making up an ill was to get attention or belong? Or is this my disease talking?

You know how the big book says we can not tell the truth from the false? That's me right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I try to read my story with "fresh eyes" but I get so wrapped up in justifying why it's not "bad enough". Then that part of me says well just to out and get ****** up a few more times to qualify. That sounds like disease to me....go on a couple wild benders, suffer some more, get high and to to work a few times and then Ive earned my seat.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just remember there are NO guarantees you can make it back for so many reasons. I've seen many not make it for too many reasons. Like death from depression, accidents, shame, giving up etc. BE WELL
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was not "bad enough" either. Still had my job, kids, cars and home... but how long until I was bad enough? See, I didn't want to get that far.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Jakeysnakey View Post
Thanks everyone, I APPRECIATE the bluntness. Great point, am I going to 12 step meetings to admire the artwork? I told this to my sponsor when I first started in aa, that part if me felt like I just wanted to be in aa so I could "make friends", and she laughed and said there are LOTS of other things I could join. Touché.

I'm doing something strange in my head here. My mom always told me I was a hypochondriac, that something was always wrong with me....and like I remember when I was a kid and my friend broke her arm I made a fake cast out of paper and told people I broke my arm too. Am I just doing that with program? Making up an ill was to get attention or belong? Or is this my disease talking?

You know how the big book says we can not tell the truth from the false? That's me right now.
Sounds like it's your disease talking. Judging from your story, you do have a genuine addiction and recovery is exactly the right place for you. Anyway, even if not, it's better to be a non-addict who's in CA because they think they're an addict than an addict who's in the gutter because they think they're a non-addict.

I try to read my story with "fresh eyes" but I get so wrapped up in justifying why it's not "bad enough". Then that part of me says well just to out and get ****** up a few more times to qualify. That sounds like disease to me....go on a couple wild benders, suffer some more, get high and to to work a few times and then Ive earned my seat.
Definitely your disease talking. My disease has done the same thing to me again and again. I'm back on day 2 after a six-week binge that was only meant to be a weekend bender.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow...I have to thank god I had just 'had enough' seems to me you've got a serious struggle goin on...talk it out...what does your heart tell you? I know one thing...you cant have it both ways. ...hang in there I can relate!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think you just answered your own question right there. If coming here and pouring out all the thoughts running in your head helps you to get control of things, then yes, you absolutely belong here. If reading about other people's addictions makes you want to go do more drugs then no, maybe this isn't the right place for you to look for help.

You do not need to earn your place here. It is not a contest to see who can survive the worst experience. Your story is yours. Only you can own it. And only you can change it.

Just keep reminding yourself of who you really want to be:

"I am a smart successful professional young woman. I'm not using."

Yes, I shortened it. Stay positive!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by 08FLHTP View Post
You do not need to earn your place here. It is not a contest to see who can survive the worst experience. Your story is yours. Only you can own it. And only you can change it.
I agree wholeheartedly!

I did the same as you, questioned whether or not I was an addict for a long time. Long enough for my opiate addiction to go from a more manageable place into IV use. You do NOT want to do that! It is absolutely not a contest, it is about you deciding what kind of life you want to have.

If you are obsessing over using, if you find your life unmanageable and that drugs/obsession have taken over then you belong in recovery. That and the desire to quit are the only requirements. I think that's what they say in CA too. So if it helped go on back there!

And, welcome to SR! Stick around, keep reading and posting, this is an amazing place.