Notices

Boredom as a trigger?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boredom as a trigger?

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone in this community and introduce myself. I've been sober 2 weeks but before my last relaspe I was sober for 15 months.
I'm curious to see if anyone else turns to alcohol when they're bored? When I'm working or keeping busy I could care less about alcohol. However more and more lately rather than wanting to be productive when I'm bored I've had the urge to drink. I was sober for 15 months and it felt like the "urge" kind of came out of no where.
Anyone with similar experiences?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking is actually boring if you think about it. You're not doing anything, and it's not even very entertaining. It seems like it could be, I guess, but it's not.

If you're bored, why not pick up a crossword puzzle, or play Angry Birds or whatever? You could start a hobby like gardening or cooking or surf the net or paint your toe nails or blast Death Metal on your stereo or call a friend on the phone or go to a meeting...

I think it helps to think of things you like to do ahead of time, so when you feel bored you'll have a toolbox ready.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. We alcoholics can make up so many reasons to drink. It ended up that I wanted to drink more than I wanted to be sober. When my pain of being sick and tired of being sick and tired was sufficient for me I needed to surrender and get honest with myself and accept that I could not drink one drink in safety. I needed AA at that time and today many years later to stay stopped as I have something like most of us that tells us lies like it's OK to drink now because................... BE WELL
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

Boredom was a big one for me, too. Being awake was my main trigger, though.

I was told early on to avoid HALT (hungry/angry/lonely/tired). I changed it to BLETHH (bored/lonely/emotional/tired/hungry/horny)....in other words, just about any feeling, bad or good! lol

It got better, though. Much, much better.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm just missing the feeling of being liberated. Picking up a puzzle isn't exactly my first choice to kill time. I'm very social so I find it hard to be home and doing nothing. My peers all drink so I've lost touch with so many friends because I can't be in that environment. In some ways I resent that I don't drink but as soon as I do I'm swarmed with guilt. Catch 22....
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boredom is a major trigger for me as well. And, I don't find that diverting myself with games or TV works particularly well. To me, games seem sort of mindless and TV is both infuriating and inane; I haven't watched TV in over a year. But, a good book fills the bill for me and books can be read at the library, a place where they don't serve booze.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

I found boredom a great excuse for drinking.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Boredom is a good excuse for drinking -- except that there's not a whole lot of excuse for being bored. Even for those times when you don't feel like doing anything active, there's journaling, writing a letter, losing yourself in a good book or movie. And there are plenty of books and movies out there that don't require much in the way of mental engagement either.

As always, I think it mostly boils down to having a plan for those "bored" moments -- a small stash of new books or magazines, a new movie you want to see but have never watched.

And then there's SR's own list of cures for boredom here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input. Even communicating here and venting a bit helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Consider this - addiction can work backwards too - like you GET bored so you have an excuse to drink. Remember that your addiction is in your mind and your mind will work against you when the addiction is calling the shots. This is when it helps to have a sponsor to call, a meetin to go to or a God to pray to. Whatever works for you, but when you get in that jam, REACH OUT. Glad you are sober today!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You make a good point Climber. That kind of put things in a new perspective. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Once while watching one of those celebrity rehab shows, I heard Dr. Drew say that when an addict says they are bored it really means they're saying they're depressed. That sounds pretty true to me. If life was exciting and full of fun interesting things to do, you'd have no time to be bored. But when things slow down you have time to think of or to remember the stressors, annoyances and regrets. Those things make me depressed and umcomfortable. And in turn I want to drink to make those thoughts go away. I guess the best solution to curing boredom is to get up and do something. Anything!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Boredom is one item on a long list of things that the alcohol-craving part of your brain will latch on to as "justification" for picking up. You just have to keep doing something other than drinking and eventually you reprogram yourself. Like most things worth doing it's a long-term project.

Good luck
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

When I get bored or anxious, I go for a run or exercise. It has been the best thing I have found to clear my mind of such thoughts/feelings.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All I can say is yes I have the same problem and although I try very hard to find things to do when I am not busy, I often end up thinking how much more fun those activities might be if I was a little altered. Just keeping it real. Plus I feel like I spend too much money on silly things like clothes and art supplies when I'm sober, then I never use / wear them. It's like I'm still trying to learn how to have fun without the boost I got from substances. I'm 8 months sober, btw. 15 months is a long time. Good for you and welcome back! Just know you're not alone.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Being awake was my main trigger, though.
lol! True.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me alcohol enhances pretty much all 'low key' activities from watching telly to cooking to reading a book. Guess the answer for me might be to do more active things... food for thought, glad I came across this post - thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Boredom was my thing too!

I go to lots of AA meetings to keep myself busy. If that isn't your thing - I love to go to the library and stock up on books, documentaries and movies. I find new recipes (as I eat a cookie I baked). I make plans to go for walks.

Especially on weekends I try to plan out my days so that I am not bored and do not think about drinking.