Notices

Been a really rough 2 weeks..but I did it sober.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been a really rough 2 weeks..but I did it sober.

It's been a REALLY rough two weeks. And I will say this, I don't think I would have handled it as well as I am, were I still drinking.

Today makes 90 days for me, and I am very thankful for that.

As some of you may recall, my sobriety period started when I got my Reckless Operation charge in April. A charge I was lucky to not have called a DUI

Then, two weeks ago, June 25th at 4:50pm I as called into the conference room at work, whereupon, I was let go. I was told I was no longer a good fit for the company after 15 years. Here's 4 weeks severance and 3 mos. Cobra coverage. I am so looking forward to looking for work again.

Then, June 27th, I took my 13 1/2 year old best friend (Corky, my Jack Russel) into the vet because she'd been having some issues with her "lady parts". After an examination, and prescription for that problem, the vet said her lymph nodes were swollen and took a sample to get a reading on them.

Corky may have cancer. The vet's not sure without a biopsy, but she has the markers. I am heartbroken.
She's an old girl, and I wont' subject her to chemo, so for now I just need to keep an eye on her and hope for the best.

Thru all of this I didn't drink, didn't feel even the slightest of urges too. I am very lucky to have had the previous week's sobriety under my belt.

I didn't expect life to become all roses when I decided it was best to not drink, but I sure wasn't expecting this either!

Still, I did it sober, and plan on remaining so. Life throws crap your way, drunk or sober. I prefer to handle it sober from now on.

I come here and read everyday, am an thankful I found SR.

So as the saying goes ....

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" - Anyone want to hoist a tall ice filled glass of lemonade with me?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Congrats on 90 days! (especially with all that has happened)

Life is so much easier sober! I know lots of stuff can still happen when we are sober, but we can deal with it so much better.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I've got some lemons to add to the pitcher!

I've got 2.5 years plus sober and I just got such a blessing out of reading what you shared. Like I don't even know what to say. You've what sounds like the rightest thing going. Caused me to rethink what I'm doing, what I'm up against, what keeps me sober (a lot of it is people like you.)
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I'm sorry about all that's happening around you especially Corky. It's very impressive you held up sober through all that and made your 90. Congratulations. I love Jack Russel dog's. If you are up for some humor I could post a silly link about them.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 90 days and well done for not picking up
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Biker! Congrats again from a fellow 90 day-er.

I know what you mean about working for someone forever and suddenly being nothing, happened to me 12 years ago. I still have some anger and resentment over it. But being sober is allowing me to deal with things more clearly and honestly.

Hang in there friend, I need to celebrate 6 mos with you!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 90 days!!!

Keep moving forward!!!