SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Awakened with terror....like when newly sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/300148-awakened-terror-like-when-newly-sober.html)

NativeCali 07-07-2013 09:03 AM

Awakened with terror....like when newly sober

Need help with this one. For the past few days, I have been startling awake with intense anxiety like when I first got sober. I am just over 1 yr sober , my date is 6/23/12. The anxiety is over real and imagined fears, especially regarding either my children or my finances which are still very stressful. I jolt awake with pounding heart and crazy fear. Is this still PAWS? I am working a strong program, and when I redirect my mind, meditate or pray immediately, or just get into action for the day this helps but perhaps I am missing something. My sponsor says stick close to program, take next indicated step in the moment. I did just spend some time with my ex-husband when I went to retrieve my kids. Still many issues working through there, divorced 2 years but only now since sober am I addressing the very toxic, codependent dynamic with some clarity. This is very difficult. Perhaps it is this. Thank you for reading and in advance for any insight you may have
In gratitude

silentrun 07-07-2013 09:07 AM

It is my understanding that paws can last 2 years for alcohol. 30/60/90/120/180/1yr/2yr. my 120 was the worst of them all(so far) That very well may be what is happening to you. Take extra care of yourself right now.

NativeCali 07-07-2013 09:17 AM

Thank you. I should have mentioned my recovery is from addiction to painkillers, Xanax and alcohol. Yes I was a complete and utter mess. Even a bad day now is better than any day back then..... :)

Grungehead 07-07-2013 09:20 AM

I don't have much sober time Cali so I don't really have any experience to share. It does sound like addressing these issues has probably stirred up some old feelings from deep within that are starting to bubble up to the surface. It sounds like your sponsor has given you good advice to keep stick close to the program. I hope things improve for you soon. As an old timer I knew used to say...getting sober ain't for sissies. :)

quitforme79 07-07-2013 09:23 AM

Perhaps you are just anxious about the situation you are dealing with? I was diagnosed with anxiety way before I became an alcoholic so I always have that tendency to have physical symptoms, especially when I am going through something that is stressful. I find it helps to identify where it's coming from and acknowledge it. If I try to deny I feel anxious it just gets worse. Maybe not paws, maybe just life :)

NativeCali 07-07-2013 09:23 AM

Ha....love it. I'd like to believe "I ain't a sissy" . Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement

silentrun 07-07-2013 09:29 AM

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html there are actually a lot of threads on this site about this. Here is one to get you started. Congratulations on the 1 year.

Jessi178 07-07-2013 09:33 AM

I've been sober from alcohol for 72 hours but the panic attacks are the worst.

Does anyone know how long it lasts

NativeCali 07-07-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by quitforme79 (Post 4056111)
Perhaps you are just anxious about the situation you are dealing with? I was diagnosed with anxiety way before I became an alcoholic so I always have that tendency to have physical symptoms, especially when I am going through something that is stressful. I find it helps to identify where it's coming from and acknowledge it. If I try to deny I feel anxious it just gets worse. Maybe not paws, maybe just life :)

Yes, quitform, I've had anxiety since I was little. I call it my "Brady Bunch anxiety" because I had to leave the room when watching the show if one of the kids was going to get in trouble!!! No joke. So I think underlying anxiety coupled with no coping skills led me to drink and addiction. (It was a bad solution, but stopped these physical symptoms!!) So I'm not desiring to drink or take a pill but I hugely want to remove the symptoms....so I hear you: acknowledging , turning it over, going through it to the other side

NativeCali 07-07-2013 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jessi178 (Post 4056122)
I've been sober from alcohol for 72 hours but the panic attacks are the worst.

Does anyone know how long it lasts

Hold on for dear life, I know how awful you feel. It is different for everyone. What support do you have? You can and will get through this. No one has died from panic attacks. No one.

NativeCali 07-07-2013 09:48 AM

To silentrun: re the link: Perfect. Full of info and wisdom. Thank you thank you!!!

hypochondriac 07-07-2013 12:14 PM

It sounds like you are pretty aware of what is causing the anxiety. And its a totally manageable thing. It is just like tools for sobriety. Get a good book on CBT for anxiety and work your way through some exercises. I have suffered from horrendous anxiety and I was surprised how much writing charts and all that other cbt type stuff really helped me. I was reading about it thinking 'how's that gonna help' but it really did. Another thing I have found really helpful is mindfulness meditation. Even just reading about that made me feel more grounded. It's like that quote... 'If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present'.

NativeCali 07-07-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by hypochondriac (Post 4056342)
It sounds like you are pretty aware of what is causing the anxiety. And its a totally manageable thing. It is just like tools for sobriety. Get a good book on CBT for anxiety and work your way through some exercises. I have suffered from horrendous anxiety and I was surprised how much writing charts and all that other cbt type stuff really helped me. I was reading about it thinking 'how's that gonna help' but it really did. Another thing I have found really helpful is mindfulness meditation. Even just reading about that made me feel more grounded. It's like that quote... 'If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present'.

Thank you! I love that quote, makes so much sense!! And does make me feel better. I will look for books on ?cognitive behavioral therapy /cbt specifically for anxiety. I had no idea they existed! Thank you so much

GreenEggsAndHam 07-08-2013 05:20 AM

It may not necessarily be alcohol related. From a quick search:

"Anxiety disorders affect about 40 million American adults age 18 years and older (about 18%) in a given year, causing them to be filled with fearfulness and uncertainty.

Women are 60% more likely than men to experience an anxiety disorder over their lifetime. Non-Hispanic blacks are 20% less likely, and Hispanics are 30% less likely, than non-Hispanic whites to experience an anxiety disorder during their lifetime."

NIMH · Anxiety Disorders

I would talk to a doctor to see if there are treatment options for you. Good luck - I've suffered from anxiety at night (when falling asleep) and it's horrible. Literally feel like I'm dying.

Jessi178 07-10-2013 06:48 AM

Almost a week an feeling a lil better

NativeCali 07-10-2013 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jessi178 (Post 4061319)
Almost a week an feeling a lil better

Good to hear, thank u for follow-up. For me, anxiety became less pronounced incrementally. Worst upon awakening or trying to sleep, rather than all day. Days were more restless, irritable, and discontent. Healthy food and hydration makes a big difference. I'm pullin for u