Notices

Day 18. Social yearnings and musings.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Day 18. Social yearnings and musings.

Onto day 18 here, and my days off. I've felt a bit restless at points, but mainly in the way of seeking social activities. It's too hot out for me to want to venture out today, I think it's 95, and I tend to wilt in such temperatures! So I'm starting to read a cycle of novels by Yukio Mishima, his Sea of Fertility series, starting with Spring Snow. I'm a huge fan of 20th century Japanese literature, and have always wanted to read the totality of Mishima that exists in translation, so this will go quite a ways in advancing that goal.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last night, I tried to go to an Agnostic meeting, the only one we have here. I’d gone a few times in the past. I arrived half an hour early, via light rail, and waited. The place seemed deserted, and overgrown with vegetation. I tried the main door, and various others. Nothing. It was at an old church, built into a steep hill; the wet summer had the vines growing vigorously, and I felt like I was standing amidst ancient ruins. Tipped over planters, weeds, the smell of an old building in decay. After an hour of quiet meditation, I walked across the street to a sushi place, ordered a few rolls to go, and ate them by a river, waiting for the train home. As it happened, the meeting has moved to a different location that’s harder to get to. But I wasn’t upset, mainly curious as to why I seek a social dimension to recovery.

In the past, I felt tolerated as opposed to accepted. It felt as if I was listened to with raised eyebrows and 'We've seen this before!' expressions, as if in time, I'd come round to agreeing with everything, at which point I'd be taken seriously. I didn't find that helpful; there didn't seem to be much meeting each other halfway. So I've decided not to push things, because that was a trigger in the past. Instead, I'm focusing on the resources I find positive and helpful: My close friends, this forum, my own inner strength and motivations, and especially a close friend with 20 years of sobriety, a professional musician. He's impressed upon me the idea of taking your energy and putting it so passionately into something you love doing, that you lose all desire to carry on drinking. There's a certain Zen sense to this, and it helps me focus.

As time has gone on, I'm finding I'm not craving a meeting as much. I may still go for the company, but a huge revelation for me has been that I don't have to insist on meetings to stay sober. Nothing is written in stone that I must. So I’m leaving things open. In time, I may contact the local LGBT center, with the idea of forming a recovery discussion group not based on any particular program, but as a place to share, much like this forum. I think that would help many people, and the center is only a handful of blocks away, and is looking to expand activities.

~

Well, I’m going to enjoy some iced Ginseng tea I brewed a few days ago, and listen to Randy Newman, that musical genius. The song, ‘My Life is Good’, and ‘Rednecks’ have both been stuck in my mind.

Hope all are well,

Much strength,

H. Pup, wonder-dog. Woof!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 18 days and here's to many more!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

The search for a group and search for acceptance seem really connected for you, you post about them together a fair amount. But it sounds like you have a lot of acceptance in the form of friendships and a partner. I guess it sounds to me like the acceptance you're looking for is more of an abstract than an actual need for companionship?

No advice, just throwing this out there as food for thought. It might be helpful to dig into what exactly that need is based on, to see if there are other ways of working towards that goal. E.g. if it's companionship, looking into ways to make more friends. If it's a feeling of social value, maybe volunteering or otherwise contributing to the community in a way that will be recognized.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Congrats on 18! From all your postings I've read you've seem to got a good handle on things that I don't think I was even in shooting distance of when I last quit.

I'm willing to bet that LGBT center would be more than happy to allot some space. I volunteered at one near me briefly until they "fired" me. Whoops! They did provide meeting rooms for recovery groups.

Having a social aspect of recovery is totally legit I think. I'm going to AA again and I don't think anyone at my meetings would deny that merely being in the company of others is a big part of it. I also am very lucky to have close friends (most of whom drink) that are fully supportive of my sobriety.

And Mishima's an excellent read. I just finished Temple of the Golden Pavillion earlier this year.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like your outlook HP, very inspiring post. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 18 days! I can relate to what you said about social activities. I'm on vacation myself, and it's so hot here I don't want to go out really.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
Onto day 18 here, and my days off. I've felt a bit restless at points, but mainly in the way of seeking social activities. It's too hot out for me to want to venture out today, I think it's 95, and I tend to wilt in such temperatures! So I'm starting to read a cycle of novels by Yukio Mishima, his Sea of Fertility series, starting with Spring Snow. I'm a huge fan of 20th century Japanese literature, and have always wanted to read the totality of Mishima that exists in translation, so this will go quite a ways in advancing that goal.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last night, I tried to go to an Agnostic meeting, the only one we have here. I’d gone a few times in the past. I arrived half an hour early, via light rail, and waited. The place seemed deserted, and overgrown with vegetation. I tried the main door, and various others. Nothing. It was at an old church, built into a steep hill; the wet summer had the vines growing vigorously, and I felt like I was standing amidst ancient ruins. Tipped over planters, weeds, the smell of an old building in decay. After an hour of quiet meditation, I walked across the street to a sushi place, ordered a few rolls to go, and ate them by a river, waiting for the train home. As it happened, the meeting has moved to a different location that’s harder to get to. But I wasn’t upset, mainly curious as to why I seek a social dimension to recovery.

In the past, I felt tolerated as opposed to accepted. It felt as if I was listened to with raised eyebrows and 'We've seen this before!' expressions, as if in time, I'd come round to agreeing with everything, at which point I'd be taken seriously. I didn't find that helpful; there didn't seem to be much meeting each other halfway. So I've decided not to push things, because that was a trigger in the past. Instead, I'm focusing on the resources I find positive and helpful: My close friends, this forum, my own inner strength and motivations, and especially a close friend with 20 years of sobriety, a professional musician. He's impressed upon me the idea of taking your energy and putting it so passionately into something you love doing, that you lose all desire to carry on drinking. There's a certain Zen sense to this, and it helps me focus.

As time has gone on, I'm finding I'm not craving a meeting as much. I may still go for the company, but a huge revelation for me has been that I don't have to insist on meetings to stay sober. Nothing is written in stone that I must. So I’m leaving things open. In time, I may contact the local LGBT center, with the idea of forming a recovery discussion group not based on any particular program, but as a place to share, much like this forum. I think that would help many people, and the center is only a handful of blocks away, and is looking to expand activities.

~

Well, I’m going to enjoy some iced Ginseng tea I brewed a few days ago, and listen to Randy Newman, that musical genius. The song, ‘My Life is Good’, and ‘Rednecks’ have both been stuck in my mind.

Hope all are well,

Much strength,

H. Pup, wonder-dog. Woof!
Congrats on going 18 days strong. You may still want to go to meetings, just for the social aspect, as well as keeping yourself on track. Never get lazy in your recovery, because that leads to issues (which I assume you are aware of). Always keep learning and growing. You sound like an intelligent person and you sound like you seek knowledge and new experiences. This is everything you can actually do now that you are sober. Using will limit your potential in every aspect.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Thanks, everyone. Part of this is the readjustment to a 'quieter' life, and finding different social activities that don't involve drinking,and, at first, don't expose me to too much of a 'party' atmosphere.

I think volunteering would be good, as well.