Notices

newbie here...

Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie here...

Hey all I am 34 years old and have a pretty bad drinking problem, been battling it for quite a while now and I am at the end of my rope... I live in a small community and there isn't much help offered... I been trying to stop but the withdrawl is too much... the sweats & chills when I am trying to sleep are awful.. the anxiety is bad, I already suffer from anxiety to begin with... my heart races, I feel like I am gonna die... I really need to know what I can do to at least get past the withdrawl stage... is there anything I can do or can I wean myself off somehow... caved in today and bought alcohol... got home and just cried my eyes out... please someone help me, I am sooo depressed and alone
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. You will find lots of support here.

Have you considered medical detox? (not sure how bad your symptoms are)

Have you dealt with this before? ...quitting drinking etc
Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi honey. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I'm 34 and a severe alcoholic. I haven't drank yet today but am considering it because of my withdrawel syptoms. Chills, sweating, anxiety, sadness, and it feels like my skin is crawling. At one point I had two years of sobriety but now days I can only string together a few days sober before I cave in. I hate it. I have some good friends in AA that keep me coming back. I keep hoping I will have a light bulb moment but I can't even grasp step two in the 12 steps. Do you have support or a sponsor? What about meetings?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink tons of water. Some people say sweets help a little bit. I know exactly how you feel right now.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Aimee. I'm sorry for what you're going through, but very glad you've made this decision. You can make it past this and have a whole new life.

We can't give medical advice here, which is why we mostly suggest you see a doctor to help you through withdrawal. It can be very dangerous & unpredictable. We want you to be safe. Keep yourself busy to help with the anxiety. You aren't alone - we've all been there. Glad to have you with us.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Aimee

Your doctor should be able to help you with the initial stages of withdrawal. It will help some if you can cut down your drinking before you stop but this won't eliminate withdrawals, you will still experience some discomfort. Finding something to stop you from caving when it gets bad is where recovery comes into it. There are numerous techniques which can help, like AVRT, SMART recovery tools like urge surfing, and of course there are meetings too. If you can't get to them in person there are online meetings, or just hanging out on SR. Glad you're here x
Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies, glad I am not alone but wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy... I am gonna get ahold of my dr and see what he can do... I feel I need to get past this withdrawl before I go to any meetings, get a sponser etc... I just don't know how to deal with it right now
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel like it's dangerous for me to just try and stop cold turkey... has anyone tried to wean themselves without medical help and if so how did it work out?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I sent you a PM Aimee - hope you saw it.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Aimee, I bet that most of us here have tried to cut down and wean off alcohol. The problem is for alcoholics is darn near impossible. I would cut back for several days and then zip back up. I ended up worse off than when I started.

I agree it can be dangerous to stop drinking alcohol cold turkey without your drs advice.

Have faith, Aimee. I know it looks dismal right now, but you can get past this.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got it Hevyn, once I am up to 5 posts I can pm you back lol... talk to you soon ok
Old 07-06-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I honestly wish I could go to the hospital and have them admit me for a few days and give me something to help and also to keep and eye on my blood pressure and all that but here I don't think they will
Old 07-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HiAimee, I'm sorry to hear your feeling so bad. 26 days ago I was right where you are at. Being at the end of your rope can be a good thing. Now you can turn around and begin to pull and lift yourself up. You can do this, congrats for seeking help. I know -the anxiety would drive me insane. However, believe me if you don't drink, you will begin to feel better. Imagine this, the booze is nothing but a poison. It sucks all the minerals and vitamins out of our body. Pour that alcohol out that you just bought. Right now the best thing is rest and re-hydration for you. Fruit and vegetable juice (pickle). Bananas to replenish the potassium you lost. Drink a liter of water and go for a long walk. As long as you don't pick the poison up, time is now on your side. Most importantly, you are not alone...believe me, many of us here have been there. There is a spirit inside you that wants out. You can do this Aimee
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aimee, you being strong helps me be strong. I love this website. I can always gain hope here.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I have had to go to the hospital before for medical detox. I was in pretty bad shape. I arrived before Noon. They got me in immediately, started IV fluids/meds etc. I had to stay overnight for continued care and observation. Dr discharged me around 5pm the next day.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep me too. It can be very dangerous.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Aimee, I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am right here with you. I am having surgery for oral cancer on Thursday and terrified of having to be detoxing at the same time. Like you, I know it would be dangerous to go cold turkey. There is tons of support on this site. Take advantage of it and it also gives you something to do.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're having a tough time too.. I've been there... I does get better.. Keep reading and posting, call your doctor and ask what detox options are out there.. Wishing you the best!! Hang in there!!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Hang in there,, the best advice i recieved was on here and that is to go to the dr. Withdrawal is not fun by any means, but it is necessary to move towards recovery. Im only ten days sober, have had a few rough patches, but the thing that keeps me away from alcohol is remember how i felt those first few days. Sobriety is so much better, and well worth it. Stay strong .
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I am on day 2 and not doing too bad... had a nap this afternoon with no sweats, I couldn't believe it!!