Notices

When does it get good?

Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Wow, that is some ordeal. Sometimes though, it takes a situation like that to really wake us up and realize how deep we are into the cycle of addiction. You can get sober though, and it really is a much better way of life. Britney Spears is one of my favorite singers of all time. I got tickets one xmas from my dad. I waited in anticipation for months, but I got drunk at the show and barely remember it. I had waited SO long to see her, and I missed it due to alcohol. Luckily, I was given another shot a year ago, and since I was sober, I enjoyed every second and the memories of that night are ingrained in my memory.

Alcohol ruins everything, and just drags you into the mud. You now see you have a problem, and its not going to go away or get better on its own. You can take charge, but it takes work and you have to be proactive. Go for this, get sober, and see what happens. For me, my life changed for the better in every way possible, more than I could have imagined when I was using. It is rocky at the start, emotions ebb and flow, and you get depressed and anxious. That is just withdrawal, and it WILL pass. Recognize anything you feel now, remember it ALWAYS, and know it will get better. You can fix everything you feel you have ruined if you take action and live life sober. It may seem overwhelming now and all doom and gloom, but its always darkest right before the dawn, right?Hang in there!
Thank you, I am definitely sticking with it, its just a lonely depressing road for me. I am happy to go to this meeting tomorrow, scared, but happy to hear and meet other people who have been there.
Your last line reminds me of a song-Florence and the Machine Shake it Off:
Regrets collect like old friends
Here to relive your darkest moments
I can see no way, I can see no way
And all of the ghouls come out to play

And every demon wants his pound of flesh
But I like to keep some things to myself
I like to keep my issues drawn
It's always darkest before the dawn

And I've been a fool and I've been blind
I can never leave the past behind
I can see no way, I can see no way
I'm always dragging that horse around
Old 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sounds like getting drunk with the children in your custody and getting arrested isn't the first mistake you've made while drinking....and you're already ready for your big reward full of flowers and rainbows on Day 10?

In my experience, just managing to get through a day sober at this point is an achievement. Expecting more will only leave to you falling short of expectations every day - which means that you'll feel like a failure even while you're making progress. The best gift you can give yourself is patience. There is no "free pass" to long-term sobriety, you have to earn it with time spent dry.

Stay on the sober track and don't get too worried about the "what ifs" and "what could have beens". You don't have control of any of that. Stay in the present, and keep expectations realistic and set simple goals. That way you will succeed on a daily basis and build confidence. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you and your unwavering support I made that first call and am going to my first meeting tomorrow morning. I am hoping it helps I feel like I am hanging off a ledge trying to hold on-not just to sobriety but to myself if that makes sense...
Thank you, I need all the support I can get and in return I will give anything I can to help any one of you. This is new for me and I can use online support as well as face to face.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear KaytiP

D
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry so much about feeling anything other than what you feel. There's nothing wrong with that. The truth is, much of my feeling management via alcohol was a dismal failure -- as yours seems to have been for you. What happened to you on 6/26 is going to take awhile to completely come to rest. Your feelings included.

The truth though is that things will get better. Then, they will get worse. Then, they will get better. Etc. It's called life. Treasure it. Your kids. Your family. Your being sober today.

What I did was to dive into the fellowship of AA -- for me, it was a safe place because everyone one there seemed to nod their heads or laugh with (but not at) me as I shared what had happened and what was happening still. I didn't feel so alone. But people's experiences are different. I was lucky: I'd seen this process work for my 15 year old son and thought it might work as well for me. We're both still clean and sober.

I'm glad you're here. You needn't (some say "can't) do this alone.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Things get better so slowly I hardly notice but when I look back my life has gotten better beyond my wildest dreams. AA showed me how to live a life without alcohol and how to live

BTW I know 2 Docs and 4 RNs in AA. Between the six of them they have close to 100 yrs of sobriety
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

KaytiP,

I think as mothers we are inherintly harder on ourselves than anyone else can be. I haven't had such a public experience, but nontheless, I wake up every time feeling as if my kids will be taken away and no one could possibly understand and if I loved them more I could just quit........ It goes on and on and on. And I am on regular anti-anxietys as well, I have been there, a couple days with out and the regular anxiety plus the withdrawl anxiety come together, you pop a benzo and forget because it does what it is supposed to and you have a drink, then 3 more, and you're on the floor with out a clue. I send you thoughts and hugs because I know inside of us is the mother and person that is what our kids see us as. we can get there again.

Best of luck, contact me if you need any kindnessess!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It might be different for everyone. I attended AA for a year and it was just terrible. After I left AA things got so much better because I could finally do things my way. I hope things work out for you with regards to your court appearance and career. Time to streamline your life and evaluate what is important.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Kayti, hang in there from another 10 Dayer. Time and sobriety heals
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's a lot to deal with. My last drunk was awful too but I'm now grateful it happened because at almost 8 months sober, life is so much better. I didn't start feeling grateful for my alcoholism or its consequences right away but it happened. AA has helped me learn how to live a sober life. The support is amazing & I already feel I've grown so much. SR has also been wonderful & a saving grace for me many many times. 10 days may not seem like long but it is, be proud of that & try to think of this time as the beginning of a new era. For you & your family. I don't know anything about that cori test you mentioned but I did know someone who was a nurse, had a felony for heroin possession & her lawyer made it so that never went on her record. Keep us posted & congrats on starting on your sober journey. This alcoholic doesn't regret quitting and it's not always easy but I'm guaranteed clarity which prevents me from making bad choices.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindlessSmarts View Post
KaytiP,

I think as mothers we are inherintly harder on ourselves than anyone else can be. I haven't had such a public experience, but nontheless, I wake up every time feeling as if my kids will be taken away and no one could possibly understand and if I loved them more I could just quit........ It goes on and on and on. And I am on regular anti-anxietys as well, I have been there, a couple days with out and the regular anxiety plus the withdrawl anxiety come together, you pop a benzo and forget because it does what it is supposed to and you have a drink, then 3 more, and you're on the floor with out a clue. I send you thoughts and hugs because I know inside of us is the mother and person that is what our kids see us as. we can get there again.

Best of luck, contact me if you need any kindnessess!
That is exactly it, benzo's and booze do not mix. I wish I had seen myself as having a problem before this happened but I didn't, I had everything covered-in my mind anyhow. I know sometimes people have to hit the bottom to realize they need to go up, I just wish my kids weren't part of it. They deserve better. I would lay down my life for my kids, so why couldn't I see this problem for them? Makes me feel very stupid
I am not ready to forgive myself yet, I don't feel I deserve it. I wonder if I ever will...
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trail257 View Post
Kayti, hang in there from another 10 Dayer. Time and sobriety heals
Congrats on your ten days, we are 4 days shy of 2 weeks! Time is the hard part. I need to learn patience I just want to fix it all now and that is obviously not possible!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hello, Kayti!
Everyone has given you great advice that I really can't add to. Read and reread it. There are such wise, funny, friendly, caring, intense, mellow,respectful, honest, new and experienced people here at SR. If you stick around you'll most likely make some friends who will give you support and courage 24/7. Good luck at your meeting! Keep coming back, read and post and let those feelings flow. It gets so much better with time!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hope so, my biggest fear is doing all of this and still ending up a failure. Time it flies when you want it to drag and drags when you want it to fly.
I plan to stick around here for quite some time. For me I have very little support right now so I will take (and give) all I can!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You will only fail if you give up, that is what so many have told me already and I have only been here a week. In my head, failure is not an option. I was failed on as a small child, I will not allow that to history to repeat. I know you have the right mindset and can do this, hope in eachother has opened my heart to accepting this as a lifelong LONG being the word here, journey. I have very little support as well so accept this as the foster support family you DESERVE!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by KaytiP View Post
I hope so, my biggest fear is doing all of this and still ending up a failure. Time it flies when you want it to drag and drags when you want it to fly.
I plan to stick around here for quite some time. For me I have very little support right now so I will take (and give) all I can!
If you want more real human support than you can imagine AA is your solution. I had to paint myself into a very tight corner before I became willing to accept AA. For me it was either AA or death. Hopefully you do not have to go as far down the alcohol road as I did before you see a solution that is right in front of you.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindlessSmarts View Post
You will only fail if you give up, that is what so many have told me already and I have only been here a week. In my head, failure is not an option. I was failed on as a small child, I will not allow that to history to repeat. I know you have the right mindset and can do this, hope in eachother has opened my heart to accepting this as a lifelong LONG being the word here, journey. I have very little support as well so accept this as the foster support family you DESERVE!
Thank you. I am grateful to have found this site, without the support here I would be drowning right now, probably in vodka, but thanks to you all and my wise decision to admit I have a problem and stop I am 11 days sober today. I guess that is something. Waiting for my ride to my first meeting. Nervous but hopeful.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post

If you want more real human support than you can imagine AA is your solution. I had to paint myself into a very tight corner before I became willing to accept AA. For me it was either AA or death. Hopefully you do not have to go as far down the alcohol road as I did before you see a solution that is right in front of you.
I am off to my first meeting today. I reached out for help to one I know would help me unconditionally, she made some calls to a 20 years sober friend and he gave her some meetings that would be good for a shy newbie. I know I have to try several before I find a good fit but here is a start at least. Very nervous, I don't know why, but hopeful that I will start to feel better...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaytiP View Post
I am not ready to forgive myself yet, I don't feel I deserve it. I wonder if I ever will...
Kayti, Would you forgive a friend? I think you would, especially knowing the background and circumstances (other meds and conditions). Then go ahead and forgive yourself, not your actions, but you, the person, who is deserving of love and forgiveness.
Believe me, I know how hard it is to forgive yourself, being a perfectionist myself and expecting nothing less than perfection from me. But I am learning to forgive myself and that frees me to not hide my imperfections in alcohol.
In any case, good luck with the Meeting. Hugs and support to you.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TempeBrenn View Post
Kayti, Would you forgive a friend? I think you would, especially knowing the background and circumstances (other meds and conditions). Then go ahead and forgive yourself, not your actions, but you, the person, who is deserving of love and forgiveness.
Believe me, I know how hard it is to forgive yourself, being a perfectionist myself and expecting nothing less than perfection from me. But I am learning to forgive myself and that frees me to not hide my imperfections in alcohol.
In any case, good luck with the Meeting. Hugs and support to you.
I would forgive a friend, because I like my friends. I don't like myself.