Notices

Please help! I'm done drinking!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help! I'm done drinking!

Hello, I am new to this website. I have been all over the internet looking for helpful tools to aid in the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol. I've been detoxing at home, no more ER or detox centers where they dope me up on drugs and send me home then I go and drink. I am the type who binges, doesn't drink daily. All week I've committed to only beer (I was on Rum). Violent shaking, hallucinations, nightmares. Today is Day 4 with a beer every time the shaking starts. I've tried tea, Gatorade, juice. I was finally able to eat last night and fell asleep for the first time in weeks. I woke at 7 shaking so violently and disoriented, so I drank a beer, went back to bed and continued to shake until 9. How long will the shaking last? Any suggestions to get rid of this any quicker than what I am doing? I want to be off all the alcohol all together. It seems even a long stretch my body goes into shock. I'm also taking Valerian Root extract. Thank you for your help I enjoy reading the stories on here on how people quit drinking at home.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to a recovery home in 1989 then straight into AA where I am active today.

It's worked for me for nearly 24 yrs and millions of others.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dont do it!!! Go to the Dr and get Meds. You could have a seizure and die. Your CNS is all messed up. Its a crazy thought I know, I never thought it could happen to me. I was 2 days clean (no alcohol) and BAM It was nutz!!! If you have a decent Dr. and tell him/her the situation they have to give you medication for it. Mine gave me 3-4 days to take home last time I gave up the alcohol battle. I have not looked back.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Twinkles, thanks for posting, welcome, and I am sorry you are feeling like such crap right now.

Others are going to be along to tell you this too but detoxing is seriously dangerous stuff. I know you are against going to the hospital or a detox facility but that really is the safest thing to do. You sound like you are having some serious withdrawal symptoms and I would not play with that. Others have thought they were "fine" or could handle it and had seizures or worse. My brother tried the same detox thing you are (drinking beer to come off vodka) and he ended up seizuring after all of the other withdrawal symptoms stopped.

My suggestion to you would be to go into the hospital or detox ward (and I know FL has crappy options in this department) and come off of booze COMPLETELY. Your body doesn't know the difference between rum and beer---it's all booze. Once it is completely out of your system, then you need to start a program. Seriously. Like Bob describes above or something else (there are plenty of ideas here).

But please don't play with your life and detox somewhere safe until the booze fully leaves your system.

In the meantime, stay here with us and post as much as you like.

((Hugs to you))

Last edited by Ptcapote; 07-05-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Please listen to Lifewillgetbet. You don't have to go through this like you are.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Were I in your shoes, I would see a physician ASAP. You need to be honest with your care provider about your symptoms and what you have done to acquire them. Trying to withdraw from acute alcohol dependence without medical support can be seriously dangerous. I particularly disagree with the notion of self-medication using beer in an effort to quit drinking. There are better ways than the one you seem to have chosen and you owe it to yourself to seek it out. Good luck and best wishes.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds dangerous. You say you are the type who binges, not a daily drinker, so how often did you binge, and how long would you go in between? How did you make it in between binges without having severe withdrawals, or sleep in between binges?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

There's no way to speed up the withdrawal process. Withdrawal ends when your brain re-adjusts to using chemicals your body naturally produces instead of alcohol to regulate itself, and nothing creates that change except for time.

Medications work because, while they don't change your brain's chemistry back to normal, they calm it down for the period while your body readjusts. The problem with using alcohol to treat withdrawal is it prolongs the process since you're still giving your brain alcohol to run on. The worst symptoms of withdrawal go 72 hours to a week, depending on the person, but that's only without alcohol--if you're still feeding it in it'll keep going. Beer or liquor... your body doesn't discriminate.

Small measures you can do are getting a good diet so your body has all it needs to repair damage and make its own neurotransmitters. Rest and calm help keep your already hyper-active brain from becoming moreso. None of those things will cure the problem though or make withdrawal any less dangerous.

Without seeing a doctor you're going to have to face the symptoms, the shakes, and the risk of potentially dangerous effects. And drinking through withdrawal might get you temporary relief but will only draw it out longer. I can say nothing more except I also think you really, really ought to see a doctor.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PLEASE PLEASE Go to the Dr

My withdrawl were the worst at 4days. I had to go to the hospital.
Your life is nothing to screw around with.

My friend justy lost his battle with booze withdrawl two weeks ago.
he was 38 left behind a siz yr old and 9 month old.
He quit cold turkey (THE WORSE THING YOU COULD EVER DO)

please go to the dr
Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and if you do pickup again, the withdrawls get worse.
It is progressive.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi twinkles

I always recommend seeing a Dr - it's not about getting meds, it's about getting checked out and making sure you're safe.

I detoxed without apparent ill effect many times, but my last 'home alone detox' was very bad.

Please think about getting some medical input.

D
Old 07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Twinkles, welcome to SR. I agree with the others, its time to get to the doctor ASAP, good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Twinkles
I expect as I write this things are hopefully improving - if they are clearly not. I agree that seeing a Dr is a good idea, just to get over the rough first week.

I am glad you found us. It is possible to shake free of it and regain your life.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Twinkles. I hope you're feeling better.

I did something similar to what you're doing - and I know it's dangerous, as everyone has already pointed out. For me it was about 3 days of feeling bad. I hope you've sought help if the shaking has continued into your 4th day. Please let us know how you're doing. I hope you'll continue to post - it'll keep you occupied and help with the anxiety.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm scared for you knowing that you're trying to do this alone. Please listen to the advice others have given you here and see a doctor asap. I personally know people who have died from withdrawals - alcoholic seizures are serious and could kill you.

You said you've been to the hospital before only to relapse but this time could be different. I relapsed many times myself, but eventually I was able to stay sober with AA and medication to treat my depression. I could not have done that alone. My dad is also alcoholic and he's trying to do it all himself and he's not had much luck. I worry about him constantly. At least for your family and for those who love you, take care and don't risk it!

Keeping you in my thoughts...
Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
Hello, I am new to this website. I have been all over the internet looking for helpful tools to aid in the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol. I've been detoxing at home, no more ER or detox centers where they dope me up on drugs and send me home then I go and drink. I am the type who binges, doesn't drink daily. All week I've committed to only beer (I was on Rum). Violent shaking, hallucinations, nightmares. Today is Day 4 with a beer every time the shaking starts. I've tried tea, Gatorade, juice. I was finally able to eat last night and fell asleep for the first time in weeks. I woke at 7 shaking so violently and disoriented, so I drank a beer, went back to bed and continued to shake until 9. How long will the shaking last? Any suggestions to get rid of this any quicker than what I am doing? I want to be off all the alcohol all together. It seems even a long stretch my body goes into shock. I'm also taking Valerian Root extract. Thank you for your help I enjoy reading the stories on here on how people quit drinking at home.
Its not good to detox on your own because it can be very dangerous. That being said, I think you may just have to sit through the anxiety and shakes without turning to the beer, because any alcohol you introduce back into your system is just going to make the detox process longer and probably more uncomfortable. Can you ask your doc for a limited dose of an anti anxiety or convulsion med? If you tell them what you are trying to do, they will give you just enough to not get you hooked, but to take the edge off. If not, then I would just cut the beer out, as its just making things worse (even though it may not seem like it). Either way, seek medical advice. Most clinics have a nurse's line so you can ask and get professional advice. I would hate to tell you something and have you experience a life threatening withdrawal situation.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in day 3 now and I went to the docs on day 1. The first thing she told me was that detoxing cold turkey is not at all a good idea., and actually advised me to continue drinking smaller amounts and taper. After explaining that I am an alcoholic and cannot be trusted to taper responsibly she seemed to get the message. I was having panic attacks almost every 10 minutes. It was horrendous

She prescribed me some diazepam to take the edge off, it was a huge help. Just enough for two days worth, I'm off it now and feeling much better. It doesn't have to be this hard,remember there is help out there Alcohol withdrawal is not to be messed with. I know you want to do this on your own but please just consider at least having someone there I'd things start to go down the swanny

Take care