Notices

Decided to quit. Again.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to quit. Again.

Okay, so, hello all.

I'm a 25 year old male living in London (but I'm Eastern European). Been struggling with substance abuse for about 10 years now. Mostly with alcohol, but been using all kinds of drugs, marijuana, stimulants, psychedelics, pretty much everything.

I suspect I have ADHD. I mean, I'm 99.9% sure. Also struggle with pretty bad anxiety, that's why I drink. Mostly social anxiety, but lately I realised I do worry a lot about things all day.I've never gotten proper medical treatment for these, but I did self medicate all the time.

Now I've been drinking for about 45 days straight. I started to f*** up things big time, really close to getting fired, my bank account is empty and I even have a s***load of debts. My body is in a really bad condition.

Things seem to start to collapse. It's not the first time though, been down quite a few times in the past few years. Did try to quit a handful of occasions, last time was the beginning of the year, barely made through a month.

I have a nice alcoholic family history too. My mom is a functional alcoholic, her dad passed away from cancer (drink related).

I got rid of all of the drinks from my place. I'm gonna visit my GP to get some benzo's for the hard times - social things. I'm also reading a book about CBT, just bought Drinking, a Love Story on amazon, willing to visit a psychiatrist (just have to save up the £££ for it).

I want to change my life, I want to quit drinking.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR flashgun - you'll find a lot of support here.

Have you given any thought to how you'll stay sober after detox?

D
Old 07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I LOVE that book, and I'm so glad when I see people reading it. It really made me believe that if she could do it, I could do it.

Drinking to self-medicate is pretty common so talking to your dr about possible options is a good idea. There are lots of non-drug ways to deal with anxiety and lots of great books on the subject.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, basically I want to deal with the anxiety first, will go to a doctor as soon as I can. I did read a few books on ADHD, so pretty much know what's going on in my brain, but realising that I have an anxiety problem is pretty new, have to research the topic.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome flashgun! You sound disgusted - and ready to do this. We have to reach that point. I'm so glad you joined us - I know you'll find great support & encouragement here.

You're getting educated on the subject and arming yourself with important info. so you'll be prepared. You can do it!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site! You'll find lots of support and useful info here.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by flashgun101 View Post
Okay, so, hello all.

I'm a 25 year old male living in London (but I'm Eastern European). Been struggling with substance abuse for about 10 years now. Mostly with alcohol, but been using all kinds of drugs, marijuana, stimulants, psychedelics, pretty much everything.

I suspect I have ADHD. I mean, I'm 99.9% sure. Also struggle with pretty bad anxiety, that's why I drink. Mostly social anxiety, but lately I realised I do worry a lot about things all day.I've never gotten proper medical treatment for these, but I did self medicate all the time.

Now I've been drinking for about 45 days straight. I started to f*** up things big time, really close to getting fired, my bank account is empty and I even have a s***load of debts. My body is in a really bad condition.

Things seem to start to collapse. It's not the first time though, been down quite a few times in the past few years. Did try to quit a handful of occasions, last time was the beginning of the year, barely made through a month.

I have a nice alcoholic family history too. My mom is a functional alcoholic, her dad passed away from cancer (drink related).

I got rid of all of the drinks from my place. I'm gonna visit my GP to get some benzo's for the hard times - social things. I'm also reading a book about CBT, just bought Drinking, a Love Story on amazon, willing to visit a psychiatrist (just have to save up the £££ for it).

I want to change my life, I want to quit drinking.
I think you will find you are not alone in your struggles on this wonderful forum. Ive found most people who have problems with alcohol are all usually very intelligent, energetic people, who have problems with anxiety. I know I do, but it was WAY worse when I drank. It was paralyzing when I was hungover to the point it actually pushed me into sobriety, which I am so thankful for. You can change your entire life by getting sober, just start by getting sober and try and grow from there. Learn as much as you can, and try and always keep an open mind. Its a life transformation, not just getting rid of the alcohol. Its so worth it though, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by just how capable and strong you are. I wish you massive luck and blessings buddy!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is free and comes with an instruction manual plus some of the coolest nicest people you'll ever meet