Notices

Fourth Day

Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fourth Day

Well now on to my fourth day. Spent most of yesterday thinking about alcohol thoughts such as I want a drink, I can't drink, I shouldn't drink, will I ever drink again. I have been spending a lot of time on this site and while I have no doubt it is helping tremendously I can't help wonder if it also contributes to my constant thoughts about my addiction.

I decided to tell my friend that I could not go on the camping trip. I was completely honest and told him about the problems I have been having and how I've been hiding them from everyone. I'm so glad I did as he was brilliant about it, he even congratulated me on recognizing I have a problem and doing something about it. He offered support and even text me later to say forget about the camping trip we should take our kids out for the day instead. I'm not usually someone who cries however I felt myself becoming quite emotional. I may have made mistakes but it looks like choosing my friends is not one of them.

I collected my daughter from her Grandmothers took her home, played with her, bathed her then put her to bed. It was a more than welcome distraction. My Girlfriend came home from work and although I could have stayed at home I decided to go back to my Sisters as I feel there is less pressure there.

On the way there I decided to stop at the supermarket to pick up soft drinks and sweets (the advise from an SR member about sweet things to help with the cravings is definitely helping). I was choosing my soft drink and to my left there was three isles filled with booze of just about every kind including my favourite whiskey. Unlike the night before I didn't find myself having an inner battle about whether or not to buy some I just knew that I wouldn't. I'm not saying I won't have this battle in the future I just felt a real resolve last night.

Just when I was thinking this there was an announcement 'we would just like to remind shoppers that due to UK legislation we will not be able to sell alcohol after 10:00 pm'. I felt as though someone was testing me and then I thought it was hardly a test, as if I didn't know about the licensing laws lol.

That actually made me realise that before entering the supermarket I had checked the time automatically. When I checked I wasn't thinking it's 9:45. I was thinking there is 15 minutes left.

This bring me to my question for those that have been sober for a long time.
Is there ever a time when you do not even think about drinking? I used to think about it a lot when deciding what social events to attend does it work the opposite way when your sober? Are you thinking 'I don't want to attend there will be a lot of drinking?

Anyway congratulations to DS77 and Crimson I'm keeping track of you both.

To everyone stay strong and good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on what I call small steps which can comfortably become big strides in progress. When I got sober 30+ years ago it was suggested that when we get into that mode of thinking about alcohol to change to thinking of not drinking. I would fantasize about any crazy thoughts for a period and continue as necessary, it worked! Another thing that helped me more than greatly was my attending many AA meetings where we are understood in the flesh. Many things help along with things we may not want to hear. As far as the lasting desire to drink, it varies with the individual and time away from a drink. I'm grateful that in about a couple months my total desire to drink was removed. I still go to meetings and try to practice living the program to the best of my ability. Remember that our bodies are trying to recover after many years in most cases of abuse from toxic substances and it doesn't happed with a snap of the fingers. If it's being painful, it's said to Remember we don't have to get sober again if we don't pick up the first drink. also REMEMBER WHEN. BE WELL
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Wow! The way your friend responded is so touching. It was brave of you to tell him and so great that he clearly took it so much to heart. Sometimes it can be hard for people to know how to respond, good for him!

I haven't been sober a long time, but you know, even a short time kinda feels like a long time in this game! I'm coming up on 5 months. Anyway, I'd say that I think about alcohol very rarely in relation to social events. The only time I tend to absent myself is when folks want to go out to a loud bar, but it's more that I know I'll be bored than I think I'll be tempted. Otherwise I don't think about it much. I know people will most likely be drinking reasonably, and if they're not, I can always leave.

That's me though. My triggers aren't social, I know a lot of people's are.

Congratulations on 4 days!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by stevenw198 View Post
This bring me to my question for those that have been sober for a long time. Is there ever a time when you do not even think about drinking?
The short answer is YES.

But it doesn't happen right away. The obsession lessens over time. It depends how you work on those things that you drank over. It's not just quitting that keeps us sober, though that is part of it. It's learning to live life without feeling the need to run to alcohol for the answer.

In September I will be sober three years. I feel blessed. The binding chains of alcohol have been lifted from me. I know of no other way to describe it. I was a slave to alcohol. Now I am free.

I wish the same blessing for you.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great work man!! That's fantastic. It's funny how we put weight on this "thing" and others ARE often super supportive and cool. Maybe it's because we are scared to fail that we are nervous to talk about it? This is huge though, great work!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only time I think about drinking is to be glad I don't do it anymore.