Notices

Good bye friend

Old 07-04-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good bye friend

Dear Friend,
I've come to visit once again. I love to see you suffer mentally physically spiritually and socially. I want to have you restless so you can never relax. I want you jumpy and nervous and anxious. I want to make you agitated and irritable so everything and everybody makes you uncomfortable. I want you to be depressed and confused so that you can't think clearly or positively. I want to make you hate everything and everybody-especially yourself. I want you to feel guilty and remorseful for the the things you have done in the past that you'll never be able to let go. I want to make you angry and hateful toward the world for the way it is and the way you are. I want you to feel sorry for yourself and blame everything but your addiction for the way things are. I want you to be deceitful and untrustworthy, and to manipulate and con as many people as possible. I want to make you fearful and paranoid for no reason at all and I want you to wake up during all hours of the night screaming for me. You know you can't sleep without me; I'm even in your dreams.

I want to be the first thing you wake up to every morning and the last thing you touch before you black out. I would rather kill you, but I'll be happy enough if I can put you back in the hospital, another institution or jail. But you know that I'll still be waiting for you when you come out. I love to watch you slowly going insane. I love to see all the physical damage that I'm causing you. I can't help but sneer and chuckly when you shiver and shake, when you freeze and sweat at the same time, when you wake up with your sheets and blankets soaking wet. It's amazing how much destruction I can do to your internal organs while at the same time, work on your brain, destroying it bit by bit. I deeply appreciate how much you sacrifice for me. The countless good jobs you have sacrificed for me. All the fine friends that you deeply cared for-you gave them up for me. And what's more, for the ones you turned against yourself because of your inexcusable actions-I am more than grateful. And especially your loved ones, your family, and the most important people in the world to you. You even threw them away for me. I cannot express in words the gratitiude I have for the loayalty you have for me. You sacrificed all these beautiful things in your life just to devote yourself completely to me.

But do not despair my friend, for on me you can always depend. For after you have lost all these things, you can still depend on me to take even more. You can depend on me to keep you in living hell, to keep your mind, body and soul. FOR I WILL NOT BE SATISFIED UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD, MY FRIEND. Faithfully yours, Your addiction
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pretty Powerful.
So what's your response to ..your friend?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

last week i was at the gym,i had something like a vision.
them a saw my "friend" saying good bye.
and he say it's about time
but is he come back
it will be worse much worse than before
and them he wave and walk away.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

That is excellent whiskeyman.

A good reminder that no matter how far we think we leave our addiction behind it is really only one drink away.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Pretty Powerful.
So what's your response to ..your friend?
The response to that friend is to say goodbye. Sometimes friends arent true friends they are just out to hurt you.

Two years sober, next wednesday.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very powerful message!!! Congrats on your 2 Years next week!!! Sometimes friends definitely are not friends, though they pretend to be.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Excellent post whiskeyman!

Congratulations on the 2 years, you give me hope that long term sobriety does indeed exist and I will make it there, 24 hours at a time!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it has been some hard work, commitment and living outside my comfort zone but everything has been much better than the hell i was living and putting my family thru.

I know everyone has heard it a million times, but if I can do it so can you.
I was hopeless. I wanted to die more than fight this.

But i am a victor (a watchful and vigilent victor)
Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting that when I was in rehab last summer, one of my therapists had me write a goodbye letter to alcohol....I have 5 days right now & have been really struggling. I think it's time for me to read that letter back to myself again.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whiskeyman, can I print this out? I am not going to claim this to be mine. Heavensake, I would not do that. This would be a great reminder to read when I am having my days.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
You know you can't sleep without me; I'm even in your dreams.
Your whole post is powerful but this line really got to me. Wow, so true. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WM. Thank you so much. With over 30 years in the program and in the many forums I've read over the years your post is a fantastic REMEMBER WHEN and certainly an eye opener. If I had the power I'd have it read before every meeting for the multitude of alcohol induced non thinking people out there. The only problem is our ability to get honest with ourselves. BE WELL
Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My first sponsor and a great speaker who told it the way it is was not liked because of not being soft and cuddly speaker. Too many people in need can't be honest with themselves or accept the truth. I know first hand, until the pain became too much for me as I don't suffer well. BE WELL
Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Whiskeyman. Amazing post. thank you so much. I just want to read it again and again and again. Inspiring, congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

lets not hide it! BE WELL
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The "dear friend" letter can be downloaded via PDF or regular ways from many place online.
It's usually called "A letter from your addiction" or just copy any part of the OP's post and do a search.
cheers

Originally Posted by EndStage View Post
Whiskeyman, can I print this out? I am not going to claim this to be mine. Heavensake, I would not do that. This would be a great reminder to read when I am having my days.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

ALohol splits us off the herd and then it kills us but not be for it destroys everything we love and value