Notices

I want to die sober.....

Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I want to die sober.....

My sober holiday is very relaxing today. A lazy day of contemplating. I went to the beach early for a walk before the days heat settled in.... I live on Long Island New York ... The roads are busy all the time... And along any given you see make shift memorials for those lost in this insanity. There are a lot of them.

A friend of mine posed a question to me... Hope he does not mind me sharing it here....

There was two men who passed....

One drank for 20 years and stopped a few months ago. He died suddenly... People say he died a recovered alcoholic and such a shame.

The other fellow died suddenly as well. But he had been sober for 15 years and had began to drink.... People said he died a drunk. Pity.

I don't know those people missed terribly by the memorials still maintained on the side of a road.

I want to die not a drunk but since we never know that last day. I will remain sober today... So if its my last I will have passed a recovered alcoholic.

K
Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's nice and I'm grateful to be sober for a bunch of years and live a fairly decent life where I live. I'm saddened by all the flower memories along the roadside also but realize I can't fix the problem or the thinking process that precedes them. Un fortunately I see so many visitors with the thought process of "it's time to get wasted" for the vacation/long WE. I guess it's "accept the things I cannot change." Now I'm defiantly going to the 5PM meeting.
BE WELL
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

If i die a drunk drinking i'll probably be rememberd, if at all, as a drunk .

If i die sober i think there is potential to be rememberd for a lot more than just my sobriety.

m
Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really hoping that I will continue to live a full and productive life, and continue to be the Wife, Mother, friend and work colleague that I am finally proving I can be....so much so that when its my time, people will forget I ever used to drink at all...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I posted this because I too want nothing more than to never have this enter the minds of those that mourn me. In fact I have so much to do yet.

I posted this because I think that the way people see addiction in others can be a sad unjust judgement. Who of these two is to be thought of less... neither in my book.

Addiction is one facet of my perspective... I have many many more.

K
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think that the way people see addiction in others can be a sad unjust judgement. Who of these two is to be thought of less...
Other people judge reguardless of what i do or say . It isn't my burden to carry . People think all kinds crazy things for all kinds of reasons and motivations .

Part of my sobriey maintanance is dumping other peoples "stuff" . i kinda feel like that kid's game buckaroo as people hang things on i'm taking them off so as not to kick myself into a funk .

I got more than enough of my own baggage without carrying others .

As we cycle along the broad highway i try to point out the ruts i see in the road to those around me , in the end though only we can set right our direction and effort and if others want to cycle a different route and pay me no heed then thats cool by me

Bestwishes, m