Notices

My Experience - Day 5

Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Experience - Day 5

First off, I have only just joined. But I have read posts here for over a year - it is strange how long somebody can remain in limbo and not want to acknowledge their problem. I noticed that the people here were very welcoming and seeing as I have tried to give up drinking many times before (and always failed), I hope SR will give me the support and accountability I really need!

A bit about me: I am 27, having been drinking regularly for 11 years and extremely heavily for about a year. I live in South Africa.

My experiences: This time and previous times, the fourth day always seemed to be the worst of the worst cravings. They seem to diminish slowly after that. I felt absolutely fantastic this morning, however now I am craving a drink - I think largely out of habit. The best way I would explain my situation to a non-alcoholic would be comparing it to a relationship break-up. After every break-up I have had, everything I do reminds me of my ex. And I feel that way about quitting drinking. I did not realize what a big part of my life the drinking was, until I stopped. Everything I did, I seemed to do after a few drinks, be it watching tv, listening to music, relaxing with friends, grocery shopping, cleaning my house etc. Now all those things remind me of drinking and every time I do one, I want a drink! And then I hit an epiphany! The thought of being sober really scares me! It seems like this incredibly high mountain that I am standing at the bottom of, and I don't know how to climb it. However, I do know how to heal from a relationship ending (I think we all do). And if I approach this as just another "breakup", I know exactly how to handle this. And that gives me great comfort! :-)

Anyway, hopefully that helps somebody! I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but any ideas on "substitutes" for alcohol? I know there isn't really one, but I would appreciate anybody posting what they did to "distract" themselves. At the moment, I am drinking copious amounts of water and eating like an absolute pig (which I see is very normal after stopping drinking). Any other ideas out there? Any things to avoid?

Best of luck and strength to all!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you decided to post. You will get much support here.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome SoberBrian. Congratulations on Day 5 - soon to be Day 6!

Wish I could have been serious about quiting when I was 27. I started drinking in my teens. Took me many more years and attempts at moderation to realize that one drink will eventually lead to a thousand more.

Most recently I had almost one year of sobriety and thought for sure I could handle a beer. I did - no problem. A few days later I had another one. No worse than drinking a cola. The next week I stopped for a drink after work.

Within about a month I was back up to 10+ per day and again planning all my activities around my drinking.

Took me another 3 and a half years to stop again. I'm at 106 days today.

As far as "substitutes" for alcohol water is good. There are a lot of beverages if water gets boring. Stay away from the non-alcoholic beers because they all have some alcohol in them.

Chocolate or just about anything sweet seems to help. I've recently been keeping a lot of ice cream sandwiches in the freezer because it has been so hot here.

Repeated alcohol use depletes certain vitamins so as your body and mind adjust to sobriety there may be certain foods or vitamin supplements that will help ease any withdrawl symptoms.

Don't be surprised when you feel better some days than others. There will be a little voice in your head for awhile telling you that a drink will make things better. Remember your worst hangover when you hear that voice.

Waking up sober with a clear mind makes it all worthwhile.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by SoberBrian View Post
First off, I have only just joined. But I have read posts here for over a year - it is strange how long somebody can remain in limbo and not want to acknowledge their problem. I noticed that the people here were very welcoming and seeing as I have tried to give up drinking many times before (and always failed), I hope SR will give me the support and accountability I really need!

A bit about me: I am 27, having been drinking regularly for 11 years and extremely heavily for about a year. I live in South Africa.

My experiences: This time and previous times, the fourth day always seemed to be the worst of the worst cravings. They seem to diminish slowly after that. I felt absolutely fantastic this morning, however now I am craving a drink - I think largely out of habit. The best way I would explain my situation to a non-alcoholic would be comparing it to a relationship break-up. After every break-up I have had, everything I do reminds me of my ex. And I feel that way about quitting drinking. I did not realize what a big part of my life the drinking was, until I stopped. Everything I did, I seemed to do after a few drinks, be it watching tv, listening to music, relaxing with friends, grocery shopping, cleaning my house etc. Now all those things remind me of drinking and every time I do one, I want a drink! And then I hit an epiphany! The thought of being sober really scares me! It seems like this incredibly high mountain that I am standing at the bottom of, and I don't know how to climb it. However, I do know how to heal from a relationship ending (I think we all do). And if I approach this as just another "breakup", I know exactly how to handle this. And that gives me great comfort! :-)

Anyway, hopefully that helps somebody! I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but any ideas on "substitutes" for alcohol? I know there isn't really one, but I would appreciate anybody posting what they did to "distract" themselves. At the moment, I am drinking copious amounts of water and eating like an absolute pig (which I see is very normal after stopping drinking). Any other ideas out there? Any things to avoid?

Best of luck and strength to all!

Welcome Brian! There is no set timeline on getting sober, it can and will happen at your own pace. Every relapse is a learning experience, and every sober day is a victory. Its a battle! You are in the right place, this forum is amazingly helpful in every stage of recovery.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things Brian

I'm not a big one for 'substitutes' - I think the best way is to start your new life off the way you mean to continue.

Use the support you'll find here and the ideas for other support to get through the early days and start formulating a long range plan that will work for you to stay sober

one day at a time does it

D
Old 07-06-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Everybody for the very warm welcome! I was easing into day 7 (today) feeling great about myself and life, and then I got some really bad news about a friend's dad who is in hospital at the moment.

I have to admit, my first instinct was to go and get a drink. I have seen many posts here about people who retreat into drugs or alcohol to escape their grief. Then I realized that this is just another thing I have to learn to do without alcohol. If I liken it to my previous metaphor of alcohol being an ex-partner, this reaction is very similar to me calling an ex-girlfriend after receiving some bad news. From experience, this is generally with selfish intent and I usually received very little sympathy from the ex and generally felt worse off for the call. I should have just let it (her) go! Hopefully I am not overdoing the metaphor here - but I am trying to keep that mindset in the context of my drinking. It might temporarily make me feel better and allow me to escape, but tomorrow morning the problem is still going to be there and I am going to feel exponentially worse for letting myself down. So instead of heading for the liquor store - I decided to post on SR instead. It feels very liberating to get my feelings down on "paper" and I highly recommend it to anyone also batting addiction and grief simultaneously!

Thanks for reading, and I promise I will do another post when I feel a bit more clear headed replying to the people who have posted, as well as some of the things I have discovered in my first week sober. Have a fantastic (and sober) weekend everybody!!