Notices

Time spent in recovery

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much is too much? I feel like I'm completely saturated in recovery lately. I've given it top priority since quitting on April 1st. And glad I have, but I need a break now. I feel tired of eating, sleeping and breathing it.

I think I'll spend more time writing now. I'm ready to "move on" but I know that last year when I was sober I never focused much on recovery. I did healthy eating, running and weight lifting obsessively, and then relapsed. I see my patterns. I'm obsessive and get very detailed and involved in things, then crash. I need to focus on balance.

I just don't want to get burnt out.

I think I need to spend less time on the forum, more time writing, make more f2f meetings, and get consistent with meditation.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I was at 1,2 even 3 months I spent so much time on SR.I was concerned that if I didn't focus on recovery 100% I would relapse,like I did twice lastyear. Then I reached a point where I started needing to find my way back in the world at about 3months.This also tied in naturally with me moving to a new area so it worked well. I still check in to SR most days but spend less time overall on here. The more time went on the more I felt more comfortable being sober and havign learnt new skills from SR about how to BE sober I felt better trying these out.I'm still pretty early on, nearly 7 months but have managed to find a balance between incorporating recovery into my new life.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So timely I should read this now...as it's well past midnight..and I'm still here..and should be sleeping. Well, I would (selfishly) miss your posts SJ should you take that break : ) But I can't help but wonder if I am spending just a wee bit too much time here lately. I almost feel like I'm "avoiding" real life sometimes. I'm such an addictive sort..that this too starts to feel like I'm falling into that sort of behaviour. You've been at this longer..so I'm sure you're feelings must be ten-fold.
I know I need to "stay connected"...but...I dunno...somethin' is starting to not sit right with me re the time I'm spending here. I really think I need to think on that. Put some limits in place...ah yeah, I'm just so good with limits..lol.

But you ask a great question...how much is too much?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enough is enough but enough is necessary....... (Old yogi saying I believe)

Maybe if you play it by ear, but never forget the bad times that can sneak back in the most deceitful and cunning ways.........
Old 07-04-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My suggestion to you is to live your life and enjoy your sobriety!
(But stay connected to us cos it will keep you grounded and we would miss your posts).
Really, we get sober to have a better life, not wallow in worrying if we are doing enough recovery *work*.
For me SR is my daily news, gratitude and connections to others who encourage me.
( and a few wonderful friendships)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think balance is important....and thats something I still have trouble with, but we try

Like Fandy said I got sober to live my life...but I also accept I can't live the life I want without having my recovery as my anchor.

I think of my recovery a lot like the cane I use to walk...it's a pain in the neck a lot of days, I wish I could throw it away....but I know if I walk without it, altho I can, I'm more likely to fall.

it really is a question of balance

D
Old 07-04-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jennie I'm at almost four months and I find that touching base at SR daily 'grounds' me, keeps me in tune with my recovery. On a daily basis my Class & the Gratitude threads hone that focus, several times a week wider reading and posting fills it out and allows me to give back. Relax and enjoy.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just for today.

take it one day at a time.

it's impossible to cramp your whole life in each day again and again.
I tried it myself, getting obsessed and then relapsing.

For me personally: I got obsessive because when sober I realise how MUCH of my life I have wasted being wasted. Followed-up by trying desperately to compensate the lost time.

It helped to forgive myself, the past is gone and will never come back, from the ruines I have to rebuild.

There is only the here and now. Daily meditation helps me not to forget that.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jennie,

You are I are at about the same "recovery" time. My day 100 is July 10th. I'm not much of a poster, in fact it's only recently I've felt "qualified" to contribute. But that said I've been dedicated to the site, it has been bedtime reading now for months - and I spend time on it in the day too. I feel exactly the same as you, that I might be "over-doing" it a bit. But I've also felt it has been teaching me deep, important wisdom all this time.

I don't have any suggestions really, but I think that has been because I haven't been heavily engaged in posting. You could (and many might) dismiss this simply as semantics but I have felt very light about the whole "recovery" thing simply by not referring to it as "recovery". I'm currently actually "recovering" from flu. My life was completely unmanageable the past 10 days and I spend my time largely in bed ;-). I prefer to slant it positively to myself. Instead of getting over alcohol abuse I see myself as pursuing this great adventure called sobriety.

It is amaaazing what has happened to me so far. The calm, the joy, the fun, the good fortune. I'd say go for it, take a break from SR, get out there and get some of that lovely joy! I feel an affinity to you as we are sober for an almost identical time, and this is what I'm doing. Enjoying a sober life!!

Snowie
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
How much is too much? I feel like I'm completely saturated in recovery lately. I've given it top priority since quitting on April 1st. And glad I have, but I need a break now. I feel tired of eating, sleeping and breathing it.

I think I'll spend more time writing now. I'm ready to "move on" but I know that last year when I was sober I never focused much on recovery. I did healthy eating, running and weight lifting obsessively, and then relapsed. I see my patterns. I'm obsessive and get very detailed and involved in things, then crash. I need to focus on balance.

I just don't want to get burnt out.

I think I need to spend less time on the forum, more time writing, make more f2f meetings, and get consistent with meditation.

Yes! You just wrote words of wisdom, Jennie. Now take your own advice.

I, too, tend to saturate myself in recovery at times. Meetings, literature, this forum, etc., etc. Stepping back a bit at times is important to avoid burnout. In the past, I would overdo it to the point I would develop resentments toward recovery. Now I know to pull back a bit when I start overdoing it and seek balance.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just focus on not drinking TODAY! I try not to worry about tomorrow and there is no sense thinking about the past. I do what I need to do everyday like meetings and/or being on these forums but I try not to over think it. This alcoholic needs to take it just day by day or even minute by minute. At the end of the day if I have another 24 hours of sobriety under my belt, it has been a successful and great day.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ask that question of my sponsor and the trusted oldtimers. I need all the help I can get.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started to write 5 weeks ago. I don't know yet if I can turn it into a viable career. I find that 4-5 hours a day is all that I have in me, so no conflict with continuing to participate in SR.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What I do is stay vigilant. I go to meetings, call my sponsor everyday, do what the oldtimers tell me, do service, do step work and pray.

So far, this has kept me sober for a little over ten months, one day at a time. Why would I want to change something that has removed my compulsion to drink?

Good luck to you!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

I ask that question of my sponsor and the trusted oldtimers. I need all the help I can get.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Bob, aren't YOU an old timer? Lol.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I think that how much is too much is only a question that you can answer. If you are being truly honest with yourself and don't feel that you need to be here as often then maybe you need a break. Just be careful and be sure to come back when you need to.

I am on here most when I need to reaffirm my goal, even if it's just for today. This is one of my tools when I hear my AV talking. Maybe further down the road that voice will begin to dissipate where I don't hear it as frequently. For now though, this is my safety net.

Just know that people are always thinking of you. You were one of the first people to reply when I came on here and I'm thankful for that. You helped me. Even though I'm still an infant in sobriety I think it also helps my soul to provide encouragement to others.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hear you. In my experience, I get really "recovery-focused" when life slows down. I've just returned to the States after 2 months abroad, and I imagine I'll probably go to a meeting and post more frequently here over the next week or so, simply because I am going through some changes and will also have free time. Idle hands, etc.

I think you will know when it's time to start walking without your crutches. If you are comfortable posting and staying focused on your recovery, then by all means keep at it. Don't just stay away for the sake of doing something different.

Overall, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Do what feels right, and feel free to test the waters out there - the online community will always be here for you and SR is open 24/7.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Bob, aren't YOU an old timer? Lol.

Bob is an accient timer. There were dinosaurs around when he sobered up

Balance is something we all struggle with. The whole point of recovery is to lead a full and happy life without alcohol. How I deal with it is I have a very rigid recovery schedule. I seldom deviate from it. then I fit the rest of my life around that schedule and do tons of fun things that have nothing to do with recovery
Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It seems I needed support most during those 1st 3 months. It eased up a bit and now I need it again. Balance does seem to be the key. When I came back I discovered the health section of this forum as I know you have. Time to put some work into making this life better all around. I do really appreciate your posts.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are in a marathon, not a sprint. It's good to pace yourself, but just remember to keep running!