Notices

Third day

Old 07-04-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Third day

Well proud to say on to my third day sober. Last night was the toughest yet though.

I went to see my girlfriend and try and patch things up. It went reasonably well and I stayed to put our daughter to bed which was great.

After I had put my daughter to sleep I started really craving alcohol. Normally on a Wednesday night once she is in bed I open a bottle of wine and watch the apprentice. Then once my girlfriend goes to bed I would start on whiskey. Not being able to do this I felt myself becoming irritable.

Although things went well with my girlfriend I am still staying at my sisters. So I decided to leave ASAP before my irritability spoiled things. On the drive to my sisters I could not stop thinking about having a drink. I decided to take the advice of a fellow SR member and stop at a petrol station (gas station for my US friends) to buy soft drinks and sweets.

Entered the petrol station and guess what they sold alcohol, they even had whiskey behind the counter. I was more than tempted but thankfully I forced myself to decline and just bought what I went in for.

Once I got to the flat I sat down and opened my munchies immediately feeling glad that I hadn't gave in. Watched the apprentice sober went for a bath then went to bed.

I had arranged to collect my daughter at 6:30 am this morning and just knowing that I didn't have to worry about being pulled over was a great feeling. I could also talk to my girlfriend without worrying about her smelling last nights whiskey.

Don't get me wrong I'm still not feeling great in the morning and at points last night I felt really low but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. I just hope that the cravings are not as bad next week.

One thing that's getting me down though is that I have been avoiding the calls of my friend who I'm supposed to be going camping with this weekend I just can't bring myself to tell him I'm not going. Guess I'll have to man up today but really not looking forward to it. Going to go with 'honesty is the best policy'.

Anyway hope to be posting about day four sober tomorrow. Good luck everyone and stay strong I'm certainly doing my best.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting through the three days!

One of the hardest things for me when I stopped drinking was losing the social aspect of it. Camping trips, fishing, playing pool; they all required alcohol. Being honest works best though in my opinion. Tell them you quit drinking and can't be around it, if you're friend is a real friend they will understand that. Maybe you can agree not to have alcohol involved?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well done!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Entered the petrol station and guess what they sold alcohol, they even had whiskey behind the counter. I was more than tempted but thankfully I forced myself to decline and just bought what I went in for.
Hey Steven,
that line i've quoted is just great . It was there , you wern't feeling your best and you still stood your ground and said no , i am just so chuffed to read that .

Not that i go out to test myself but somtimes very infrequently it still jumps out infront of me like that and i have to do exactly what you did last night .

I think what we do in that moment is where some of us slip and some not .

Glad you're here on day 3

m
Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Raeth

I'm sure he will be OK about it. I think the main reason I'm worried about telling him is that he is such a strong willed person and considers me the same. It's like saying to him hey I'm still your best friend but I'm not the person you thought I was I've been hiding the real me.

I will tell him though he's a smart guy and maybe it will help. I will include how it went in tomorrows post.

Thanks for our words of encouragement and advice. Apophylite thank you also.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will be watching for your next post. I wish you the best through this next day.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mecanix

Thank you. It wasn't easy there was a part of me trying to rationalize buying it. I was saying to myself 'hey you've been sober have a drink and you can be sober for the next few days'. Then I thought about today's post and a video that someone put on SR yesterday called 'Drugged - High on Alcohol - Youtube' (I wanted to put the link on but it won't work')

I wasn't as bad as the guy in the video but it was the way he drank his drink that scared me. I drank the same way straight from the bottle (his bottle is the same shape as well). I didn't even wash it down with a soft drink like he did. That video scared me I wish I could put the link on I think everyone should watch it.

Anyway thanks again for your support.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is this the one you are referring to?

Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube
Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GracieLou

That's the one. Thank you.