Notices

Another motivation to be sober

Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another motivation to be sober

This may be a little personal but it’s also not worth getting into the details and account what occurred, but it was huge for me and I am hoping it only takes me to the next level of resolve to maintain sobriety in my life.

My commitment to not drink today is coming from seeing who I do NOT want to be in someone else. My ex-husband. I’m not sure if he is inherently not a good person, or if it is just years of alcohol consumption that has made him lose his way as a decent human being entirely, but either way, he is the epitome of who and what I do not want to be. Unfortunately, he is also the father (if he want to call him that since he has lived 1000 miles away for 10 years now and takes little or no interest in their lives, just begrudgingly sends child support out of duty and usually after much begging on my part) of my two beautiful children.

I truly believe that so many things in life happen for a reason, and last night I saw yet another disgusting, cruel, selfish, alcoholic side to him, that has given me even more of a reason to stay sober, to be sure that I am NOTHING like him. I want to remember how he behaves, how he treats people-including his own children, how he drinks his life away with seemingly no regret, how he lives his life each and every time I think I have a craving or think I “deserve” to drink. My children deserve a better role model and for me to be the best parent I can be.

I will never give up on this struggle to remove alcohol from my life completely and last night I was given yet another motivation, another reason to work harder at it. So, rather than being angry or hurt or hateful, I am going to take it as a blessing in disguise and use it to build strength in myself and my commitment to stay sober, for me and for my girls. Nothing is more important.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is a beautiful moment to see something, experience something, hear something that clicks in a thought and passion for change.
unfortunate that sometimes it is a negative, but that i sbetter than nothing!

good luck to you in your quest for sobriety....seems like you have a few great reasons, but also look to the positive reasons for sobriety and the good to look forward to, not just the bad to run from.

again good luck and happy to hear you found your catalyst
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We can never have too much motivation to stay sober. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's kind of funny cos the thing that really kick started my sobriety was breaking a friendship with my ex partner. He had been phoning me a lot drunk and being absolutely vile in his justifications for some pretty horrendous behaviour. I had 'I don't want to be like that' on my mind a lot in the early days, as well as feeling free in the sense that I wasn't like that. Some people are asses no matter if they drink or not. I know this can seem negative but we all have to start somewhere and something I didn't want was better than nothing.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whatever motivation you need! I saw it in a half-brother who's been on a downward slide for over 20 years. Use that to your advantage, and good luck!