Notices

Unsure what to expect

Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure what to expect

Hi all,

I've been wanting to cut back on my drinking for a long time now. For my health, relationships and especially my children.

I've been a 'high functioning' alcoholic for 10 years. I've maintained employment, study, my marriage, friendships, and consider myself o be an excellent mum. I eat well, and workout at the gym 4 days per week.

I also drink at least a bottle of wine every weeknight, and substantially more than that on the weekends. Like other drinkers, I constantly worry about when I'm having my next drink, and where it's coming from. I worry about drinking enough to be 'satisfied', but in so much as to raise alarm or be obviously wasted. I am expert at not 'acting' drunk.

H and I signed up to Dry July on my suggestion. I thought it would be a good excuse to stop altogether, and its easy to tell family and friends that that's why I've stopped cold turkey. Although I find it hard yo believe ill be able to, I'd like to just continue not to drink after July.

Anyway- I started in Monday, and today is Wednesday. Today I feel queezy, and my hands are shaking almost as much as if I'd been drinking last night. I have no energy for he gym, which annoys me.

I have no thought of giving in- the thought of wine doesn't appeal at all. I actually feel relieved that I don't need to worry about it any more.

My question is- how long can I expect it to take before I start feeling well, and my hands stop shaking? The shaking is one if the main things that motivated me to quit.

When will I be able to sleep?

When will my energy come back?

I know no one has a crystal ball, just wondering what others have found?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It will probably take a few days before the physical symptoms begin to decline. I do hope you stick with sobriety and I'm glad you found us. I also think it's good to keep in mind the mental factors involved. There is so much more to recovery than not drinking.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome GymJunkie - glad you're here.

When I quit I was drinking 'round the clock, so our two situations would be very different. I was a mess and it took me about 5 days to feel anything resembling normal. Sleep was difficult for at least a week - but hopefully you'll do better than that. I would think tomorrow you'd feel much better. Just think, you never have to do this again.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like your healthy, so you should be able to breeze through the withdrawal process. I drank about as much as you did. The urge gets less frequent. Stick with it!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi GymJunkie

The times that I have quit drinking, I was drinking a similar amount to you. I was fine and functional during the day but drank to pass out pretty much every night. It took me about three to five days to begin to feel ok again. It took that long to be able to sleep easily at night which was the reason I gave for drinking in the first place. As Anna said though, not drinking is only part of recovery, and its really hard. I wouldn't be too sure that your desire to drink won't resurface.

Good luck to you, sounds like you have a good support system and plenty of other things to devote your time to.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First of all, congrats on stopping and having a goal to abstain for the month of July!

Second, withdraw sucks. Its going to be hard - I don't think its easy for anyone. You can get through it - but expect that you aren't going to feel like yourself for awhile.

It sounds like you are experiencing withdraw symptoms - and that is hard. Right now you don't have any cravings but this will ultimately happen too. Its happened to all of us who have stopped drinking. There will be days you will have cravings for it - that's the hard part. Learning to ride out the urges. Once you learn this skill (and yes, I believe it is a skill) - and accept it for what it is - the urge will pass.

I wish you the best of luck. A lot of us are 'highly functional' - its the same process for all of us and this forum is great to post and read stories. Its been a wonderful help to me during the tough times.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have the queasiness or shakiness, but sleep is coming really hard to me, and it's not getting better after 3 days of quitting. I am a gym junkie too, with a 5 day a week schedule, and I've actually never felt better at the gym. I'm a little tired, but not hungover, so I feel I can focus on every move I'm doing. I can actually lift my hardest, and have run my fastest miles ever (yesterday) - I think that's helping me keep with this, and I can completely understand why you are frustrated that quitting has made you not want to workout. I hope your queasiness goes soon so you can enjoy the same strides I'm making.