Notices

What makes YOU do it?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Sad childhood (wont bore you with details), then discovered that alcohol solved my social anxiety and self esteem problems - started hanging with partiers at 15 and just kept on partying when most people had grown up and stopped. Now, at my older age, I drink to help with stress, anxiety, and physical pain.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I actually didn't really drink much until I turned 21. Before that I was a big weed smoker but pretty weak as far as being able to handle booze. Once I could buy alcohol myself though, it became a habit very quick. Oddly enough after I got my first DUI at 22 and could no longer smoke due to probation is when I think my alcohol use went from a habit to an addiction. Kind of out the need to phase and into the have to phase. I would say that early on alcohol helped me to be more sociable and relaxed but I always drank alone a lot too. So probably no bigger reason than I like the buzz, the escape. Not much more to it than that.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I only drank 2 or 3 times in high school, and then in college, lived on a floor for people who didn't want drugs and alcohol as part of their college life (I went to a huge party school, so you apparently actually had to designate yourself as opposed!) Over the next summer, I became a waitress, and it was normal to drink after shift every night. I went back to school and kept up the drinking, but not much.

I transferred colleges with my then boyfriend (now, 14 years later, husband), and partying was a huge part of my life. It continued, and grew, and grew. I was always small - about 5'1 and 110 lbs, and could put away more liquor and pot than almost anyone I knew, and still function (or so I thought).

Like others here, the buzz became old, but I still chased it for years. I've always been really sensitive and on the anxious side, and it helped calm my mind. I too, have several degrees, 4.0 GPAs, a caring husband, a great job, wonderful children... a fantastic homelife as a child. Nothing that would scream addict.

It was later in life that tragedy began to come my way. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at a young age, I lost a child at birth, I had several miscarriages, and a severely premature baby. I drank through some of that (not the pregnancies), but those hard times were not the start of my problem. But I medicated a lot of that with the same thing I always used... alcohol.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like it.