Notices

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an alcoholic...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an alcoholic...

I doubt I'm the only Mike here since I sometimes announce myself at meetings by saying, "Hi, I'm Mike and I'm an alcoholic. Welcome to Mike's Anonymous!". I like being able to use my real name and still comply with any anonymity traditions.

I'm currently on a two week vacation with my wife of 32+ years (the last 11+ have been sober -- marriage is much easier when I'm sober!) and will not have easy access to face to face meetings while I'm here on the Oregon coast. So, I'm reaching out and stretching into ways that are both interesting and scary. As one of my sponsors says oftener than I'd like, the secret to recovery is doing things you don't want to do with people you don't want to do with them with!

Well, here I am.

I also have another support mechanism available to me and that's a private blog that I started a couple of months ago called the AA Gratitude Project. That's where I go to practice, along with about 25 others, the daily practice of gratitude. I've now been writing gratitude lists for over 6 months and it's changed my life from the inside out. Just like AA.

As is often the case, I want more.... :-)

Take care!

Mike L.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GratitudeDude View Post
I doubt I'm the only Mike here since I sometimes announce myself at meetings by saying, "Hi, I'm Mike and I'm an alcoholic. Welcome to Mike's Anonymous!". I like being able to use my real name and still comply with any anonymity traditions.

I'm currently on a two week vacation with my wife of 32+ years (the last 11+ have been sober -- marriage is much easier when I'm sober!) and will not have easy access to face to face meetings while I'm here on the Oregon coast. So, I'm reaching out and stretching into ways that are both interesting and scary. As one of my sponsors says oftener than I'd like, the secret to recovery is doing things you don't want to do with people you don't want to do with them with!

Well, here I am.

I also have another support mechanism available to me and that's a private blog that I started a couple of months ago called the AA Gratitude Project. That's where I go to practice, along with about 25 others, the daily practice of gratitude. I've now been writing gratitude lists for over 6 months and it's changed my life from the inside out. Just like AA.

As is often the case, I want more.... :-)

Take care!

Mike L.
Bingo !! Going against the grain. Doing what I need/should do .... not what I want to do.

All the best, Mike.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mike, welcome Congrats on your 11 years Your Gratitude Project sounds interesting. I keep a gratitude journal and it does seem to help greatly. Welcome to SR.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Hi Mike, welcome Congrats on your 11 years Your Gratitude Project sounds interesting. I keep a gratitude journal and it does seem to help greatly. Welcome to SR.
The gratitude project is a spinoff of the idea, Pain shared is halved; Joy shared is doubled. There is a clear benefit to doing a personal gratitude list everyday for 30 days. More benefit if you do it for 30+ days.

But when you share that list with another, there's a doubling effect. Can you imagine what happens when you share it with 25+ people, a dozen of them who post daily gratitude lists and the other dozen who practice gratitude by identifying with those that do post formal gratitude lists? UnFnBelievable is what happens!

Mike L.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike!!! I am beyond envious that you are vacationing on the Oregon Coast!! Say "hello and I miss ya" to Cannon Beach for me...one of my favourite places in the world.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Mike!

I'm glad you found us.

I haven't had to do things I didn't want to do, with people I didn't want to do them with, but I do agree with you that recovery is a lifelong journey.

Enjoy your vacation.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike! I'm married to a Mike. You will really like this forum. Everyone here is very positive and encouraging! Have a great vacation! Just had my first sober vacation ever and I feel more rested and rejuvenated than I ever did!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Pleased to meet you Mike,enjoy the holiday.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on your sober time!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome Mike!

Wise words from your sponsor. Feel like that's a message I need to take deeper to heart.

And welcome to Oregon too. I haven't been to the coast in too long.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mike! So good to have you here!