Notices

New here! Hi!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here! Hi!

I'm new to this site, but not new to recovery. I first became sober in 2007 after realizing that I was rapidly destroying my life and family. I entered a treatment center in San Antonio, TX and 31 days later, I was ready to live sober. I was sober until 2012 and my relapse just sort of came out of nowhere. I had not thought about drinking in years, but found myself "rewarding" my good behavior with a beer or two. Complacency got me here a year later...I have been drinking daily for about 6 months and I'm sick of it. I know it's time to respect my problem and I'm seeking support from others who are struggling as well. Noe to meet you all!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am new here as of today as well and all ready I have felt unjudged and supported! It's wonderful, especially since there is little support in my world otherwise. I too am just sick of addiction. I am sick of waking up in the morning and feeling quilty for letting myself down, AGAIN. I also have no idea why this time I just can't do it by myself. But isn't nice to know there is a place to come and be accepted!! best of luck to you, I look forward to this road and seeing where it takes us all.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Glad you are here!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I started yesterday after lots of promises to myself and others have fallen by the wayside...

Day two has been great. I was a habitual "six pack every night" drinker and though i think about it a lot, and scare myself that i wont be able to do it i feel STRONG today... I'm really ready to do this for me. I'm not telling anyone yet, just riding it out and feeling better by the hour.

You got this.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome PickledPink - I love your screen name. This is a sneaky, sneaky addiction. I am struggling once again myself - I've not had as much sober time as you and I sure hope that one day I can say 5 years, or 10 or even 1.

You can do it - you did it before you can do it again and youi'll get loads of support here on SR.

Genie
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You too! Thank you! Support is important, I too have very little in my life. I remember telling my mother in 2007 that I was an alcoholic and was entering a treatment program. Her first response was "what!? Do you drink first thing in the morning? You're never drunk!" And I was just crushed. It took a lot for me to say that and she was, and still is, in denial. I got bottles of wine for Christmas for the first 2 years I was sober, thanks Mom! Lol!

It's hard, but sometimes I think we have to purge our lives of unhealthy relationships as we purge our lives of unhealthy behaviors (like drinking and drugging).

One thing I've always appreciated about drunks is that we tend to be very non-judge mental of others :-) good luck to you too! It's a tough road, but that just makes our success all the more gratifying, IMO!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're so right Genie! Sneaky sneaky sneaky! I never thought I would even like being sober when I did it the first time, but I did! I was like "wow"! I didn't even know how to live without alcohol, it was just part of every facet of my life. Yep, we can do this!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome pickledpink. Living without alcohol can really be WOW!! It is just great feeling good , not sick or tortured all the time is how I look at it. And you made me smile when you said us drunks are not judgmental.. I think that is true. We hear others stories and instead of going Oh my gosh that 's terrible , bad behavior etc. We kind go oh yeah I get that.

Again welcome. great group here
Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Welcome, I'm glad that you're here, there is no better place to be!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i would never blame my marriage for my drinking... BUT... I am in a rather unhealthy marriage where drinking helps me cope. problem is, while i am drinking i feel like i dont have the strength or wherewithal to do anything about it.

i know that as i sober up and make better choices things will come to a head with my marriage, but thats natural, and honestly, long overdue. can't hide behind booze.