Notices

Looking for advice from recovering addicts

Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for advice from recovering addicts

Hi everyone...I've posted on here before, but was just looking for some insight from actual recovering addicts on my story...My bf recently broke up with me. About 7 months ago, I found out he was using and it got pretty bad. He moved out but got into a treatment center and was there for 90 days. He's been out for a couple months now and is doing great. We had gotten back together while he was in treatment, but ever since he got out, it seems that either his feelings have changed towards me (as he is a different person now) or he truely cannot handle his feelings being with someone who occassionally still goes out and has a few drinks. I changed a lot for our relationship to make things easier and supported him through everything. Just breaks my heart that he ended things saying he can't do it to himself. Getting mad and jealous everytime I had gone out, which I do understand. Just wanted to hear other people's experiences with this. He still wants to be friends, and sounds like this break up doesn't bother him. Tells me I should be with someone who makes me happy. We had talked about marriage etc at some points, but now I feel as though he's already moved on and is fine with not being with me. I know sobriety is #1. I would never want to get between that. I just don't know how it was so easy for him to break things off for good. I'm convinced there's no future together. Just hurts as I stood by him and wanted to be with him. One of my recovered friends told me he may come around once he gets used to being out of treatment and starts to learn more things about himself and may realize all I have done for him. Guess i just really needed to vent and see if anyone had any insight. At this point, I'm trying to move on, but am just very upset about the whole situation.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only thing within your control is how you react to your surroundings. If he wants to end it, so be it. It will hurt you but you can go on with your life and you will heal with time.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a tough situation. People can change with life events that's for sure. My friend's bf stuck with her all through her cancer treatment, her baldness, illness, chemo, everything. As soon as she was declared cancer-free, he dumped her without ANY warning. Really??? Maybe he was thinking it the whole time, who knows? She was devastated. Hang in there!